Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Making a TiVo-like box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Making a TiVo-like box Reply with quote

Excuse me if this should be in the hardware forum, but I think this is better suited.

Here's what I have: A pII 450 w/ GeForce 2 w/s-video out. Works great on my tv. I'm looking to create a tivo like thing with either freevo or mythtv (recommendations? they both look good)

Anyway, I'm wondering about capturing. I've heard a lot of talk about Hauppage WinTV cards being the best. All I really want is a Coaxial TV Tuner, anything more than that is great (s-video-in? composite-in?), but not necessary. it needs to work with video4linux(duh). Which model is the best?

Secondly, is this box fast enough to record tv and playback, at, say svcd quality? It has 320MB Ram, and a pretty decent(20G hard drive). Obviously I'm gonna be running gentoo on it. Does anybody who's done this kind of thing have the answers I'm looking for? Thanks.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be fine. Most of the processing is done on the TV tuner card from what I understand. You'll probably want to read Wanna turn your computer into a tivo? It may also give you an idea of if your computer is fast enough.
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I looked at that thread and it didn't have exactly what I was looking for. But that reminds me, I was concerned about the upside-down-inverted problem. Does anybody know if this is inherent to hauppage cards or what? Or is it a config problem?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadyMilkman wrote:
yeah I looked at that thread and it didn't have exactly what I was looking for. But that reminds me, I was concerned about the upside-down-inverted problem. Does anybody know if this is inherent to hauppage cards or what? Or is it a config problem?

This would be much better asked in the other TiVo thread. They've already discussed some of this issue. It would be best to not get into double coverage, so this thread has been locked. Please follow up in the pre-existing TiVo thread. I'm sure they will also have a very good idea of how fast a system has to be to do this sort of thing. Thanks! :)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: