Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo not listed on recent slashdot poll!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Gentoo Kick Butt?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 29 ]
Two poll options shouldn't be required!
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 42

squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Gentoo not listed on recent slashdot poll! Reply with quote

I think the world is going to end, cause it was rated the 6th most used desktop on this servey link: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3606633376.html

I am angered!
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, come on, broadband is almost a requirement, you have to compile everything from source, and it requies more technical compitence out of the box (or should I say off the net) than most store shelf distros.

A survey of 100% happy customers of each product would have the intended result however I believe. :-)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Lindows also require you to download packages that you want to install? Or is that just for packages that don't come on the CD? I know they charge a yearly fee for something like that.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

their click-n-run program downloads rpm-like packages from their "warehouse", although they are binary and not source, it would require a good bit of bandwidth to get many packages installed, but I guess that all the base would come on the main cd.
Something like 50 bucks / year or something for it. I guess they are making a good buck doing it, but I like my "free" software to be "free" ;)
easier on the college student's wallet, although I have supported gentoo :mrgreen:

Quote:
A survey of 100% happy customers of each product would have the intended result however I believe.

yes :mrgreen:
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That poll pissed me off. Gentoo is definately popular enough to merit a spot on the poll (more popular than Connectiva I'd wager). Probably it didn't make it because of all the bad Karma (not the numeric kind, the metaphysical kind) generated by the k00l d00d g3n+00 slashdotters. Gentoo folks seem to be a bit excessively evangelical on slashdot, all higher-than-thou in threads about other distros. Might have something to do with there being a lot of people who switched from Debian to Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: