Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Moz Firefox 0.9 (all versions) general discussion thread.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, the problem is between the chair and the keyboard. 8) All's well here.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
yngwin wrote:
AdBlock: I'm using this, which works fine with 0.9.

I'll try the Adblock version that you're using too. ...

Edit: That AdBlock didn't work. ... (not sure why it worked for yngwin)

One difference may be that I don't use the ebuild, I use my own build, which uses different configuration options.
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
these problems might not necessarily be firefox problems. is he talking about the back button on the browser or on his mouse? is he using a broken theme? are some goofy extensions inerfering with something?

Both buttons. Using any themes. No extensions installed.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54148
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow. i just emerged firefox .9 and its hell of a lot faster than firefox .8
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the "No running window found" issue with the 0.9-r1 source build. Running as root first didn't help, As root, I nuked /home/matthew/.mozilla and then manually created ~/.mozilla and copied ~/.phoenix to ~/.mozilla/firefox. 0.9 didn't recognise any of my settings or bookmarks, but the damned thing runs now instead of whining about "No running window found" and quitting.

Now that I've got it working, I like it. But I've got to do something about this horrible default theme; I wonder if I can use the Lila theme in 0.9...
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrorball wrote:

Both buttons. Using any themes. No extensions installed.

Deleting ~/.mozilla and ~/.phoenix seems to solve those bugs.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
I got the "No running window found" issue with the 0.9-r1 source build. Running as root first didn't help, As root, I nuked /home/matthew/.mozilla and then manually created ~/.mozilla and copied ~/.phoenix to ~/.mozilla/firefox. 0.9 didn't recognise any of my settings or bookmarks, but the damned thing runs now instead of whining about "No running window found" and quitting.

Now that I've got it working, I like it. But I've got to do something about this horrible default theme; I wonder if I can use the Lila theme in 0.9...

I've heard it works
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Mostly Crystal theme, and seeing that my ROX and GTK icons are also from the crystal set, it works nice and I am glad that I can use it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that I have a peskey and rare compile failure for this I went ahead and took to binary. Very snappy. What's wrong with the theme? I can't see anything there to get passionate about, either for or against. Very plain indeed.

Pwnz3r:
What is this Rox theme you are using? You have me interested now. You are under Fluxbox, gtk1/2 right?
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a tab that can't be closed and the location bar not getting updated sometimes?

And Firefox tells me there are two open tabs when there is only one.
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
these problems might not necessarily be firefox problems. is he talking about the back button on the browser or on his mouse? is he using a broken theme? are some goofy extensions inerfering with something?

I had this problem too after installing a new theme. I had to shutdown Firefox and then restart and the back button started working again. This release looks promising, but seems to be very, very alpha at the moment. I'm going back to 8 until it gets a bit more stable.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." --Dave Barry
j3rm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: bah, stupid fonts! Reply with quote

Ok, I've looked around other posts, and I've tried making the anti-aliasing kick in, but I'm just not getting anywhere. The fonts just look bad. I may re-emerge 0.8 again until this issue is resolved, because this is rather aggrevating.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: bah, stupid fonts! Reply with quote

j3rm wrote:
Ok, I've looked around other posts, and I've tried making the anti-aliasing kick in, but I'm just not getting anywhere. The fonts just look bad. I may re-emerge 0.8 again until this issue is resolved, because this is rather aggrevating.
Try
Code:
USE="xft -moznoxft" emerge mozilla-firefox
Don't know if that'll help you, but I used that to fix my fonts after switching to x.org
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, the 0.9 release is working perfectly for me. If anyone has any problems that they just can't fix then PM me (I honestly am helpful sometimes).
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
Oddly enough, the 0.9 release is working perfectly for me. If anyone has any problems that they just can't fix then PM me (I honestly am helpful sometimes).

ok, theres a bar at the bottom of pages there shouldn't be
this also incudes some framed banner ads, the bottom bar also takes up enough room to need a horisontal bar too.....

when a download window is the only one open you cannot open any more windows as it complains the profile is in use (took me 4 hours to figure out a way to open one without cancelling my download) (ps right click a downloaded item > open parent directory)

and i have an itchy eye
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushwacka wrote:
Being that I have a peskey and rare compile failure for this I went ahead and took to binary. Very snappy. What's wrong with the theme? I can't see anything there to get passionate about, either for or against. Very plain indeed.

Pwnz3r:
What is this Rox theme you are using? You have me interested now. You are under Fluxbox, gtk1/2 right?

Yes, I am under Fluxbox with GTK2 (and one for those non-ported apps which isn't many). If by ROX you mean the icons (which I'm sure you do), then I am using the crystal icons from Everaldo that I manually installed into ROX. I put them on my Deviant Art site and they are currently my featured Deviation. Enjoy. 8)
b0fh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emerged firefox 0.9-r1, but I can't start it...
Quote:
bash-2.05b$ firefox
No running windows found
*** loading the extensions datasource
*** ExtensionManager:checkForMismatches: no access privileges to application directory!
*** loading the extensions datasource

The last three lines ("*** ... ") are repeated forever. I've tried moving the .mozilla directory, but it didnt't help. I also tried running as root, same error...
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've got a serious problem with the 0.9-r1 release from source...

It works great for a while; things are very fast and snappy and there are no big problems to report. But after it's been left open a couple of hours, it almost invariably grinds to a halt, consuming 100% of my CPU. It's not using any abnormal amount of RAM when it does that, either, and in any case that shouldn't be a problem on this machine (P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM). It just uses the whole CPU until I close or kill it. Oddly enough, it doesn't COMPLETELY hang when this happens; it still works, but very very slowly (taking 10-20 seconds to redraw the window if you move it). Everything else on my machine runs fine when it does this, with almost no slowdown; gotta love the 2.6 kernels.

Also, I've been having a weird X issue that I'm not sure is being caused by Firefox or not. Periodically, when I'm scrolling down a webpage with the arrow keys, my mouse will just freeze completely, although Firefox still responds to keyboard command. If I switch to a text console and back to X, it fixes it. This happens only intermittently (every few hours), and I've only seen it happen while using Firefox 0.9. I've never seen an app cause X to do something like that before, but t never happened before I installed Firefox. Go figure.

I unmerged it and I'm now trying the binary ebuild. I haven't seen either of the problems crop up yet, but I haven't been using it for very long yet either. I wasn't using any really exotic CFLAGS or anything like that; just -march, -pipe, -fomit-frame-pointer, and -O2. I also was careful about cleaning out my profile, etc...

Anyone else have troubles like this? If I still have these problems with the binary ebuild I think I'm going to drop down to 0.8 or switch to Mozilla 1.7 (which is very stable, but uses more RAM and is a little slower wrt UI).
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John5788 wrote:

I want to know how all of you are getting this damn thing to build? I went to the firefox site and it looks like there are just binary builds? I tried using the 0.9-r1 in portage and it fails everytime.....
Code:
DTRIMMED -ffunction-sections -O2  -I/usr/X11R6/include -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include
 ../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsBrowserStatusFilter.pp nsBrowserStatu
sFilter.cpp
nsBrowserInstance.cpp:107:31: nsToolkitCompsCID.h: No such file or directory
gmake[3]: *** [nsBrowserInstance.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1/work/mozill
a/xpfe/browser/src'
gmake[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1/work/mozill
a/xpfe'
gmake[1]: *** [tier_50] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1/work/mozill
a'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-www/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 202, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Help!?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
John5788 wrote:

I want to know how all of you are getting this damn thing to build? I went to the firefox site and it looks like there are just binary builds? I tried using the 0.9-r1 in portage and it fails everytime.....
Code:
DTRIMMED -ffunction-sections -O2  -I/usr/X11R6/include -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include
 ../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsBrowserStatusFilter.pp nsBrowserStatu
sFilter.cpp
nsBrowserInstance.cpp:107:31: nsToolkitCompsCID.h: No such file or directory
gmake[3]: *** [nsBrowserInstance.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1/work/mozill
a/xpfe/browser/src'
gmake[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1/work/mozill
a/xpfe'
gmake[1]: *** [tier_50] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1/work/mozill
a'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-www/mozilla-firefox-0.9-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 202, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Help!?

Same problem here. I installed the bin on portage.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try removing the source tarball from /usr/portage/distfiles, making sure you have conservative cflags and try again. Alternatively you can try my svg-enabled binary builds at http://pryan.org/mozilla/firefox/lokean/0.9/ (no ebuild, just untar where you want, for example your home directory)
j3rm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: bah, stupid fonts! Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
j3rm wrote:
Try
Code:
USE="xft -moznoxft" emerge mozilla-firefox
Don't know if that'll help you, but I used that to fix my fonts after switching to x.org

tried it, to no avail.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news: there will be a bug-fix 0.9.1 release within the next few days!
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left Firefox 0.9 open for around four hours without problems. Perhaps it's an extension that makes it use so many clock cycles after a while?
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:
OK, I've got a serious problem with the 0.9-r1 release from source...

It works great for a while; things are very fast and snappy and there are no big problems to report. But after it's been left open a couple of hours, it almost invariably grinds to a halt, consuming 100% of my CPU. It's not using any abnormal amount of RAM when it does that, either, and in any case that shouldn't be a problem on this machine (P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM). It just uses the whole CPU until I close or kill it. Oddly enough, it doesn't COMPLETELY hang when this happens; it still works, but very very slowly (taking 10-20 seconds to redraw the window if you move it). Everything else on my machine runs fine when it does this, with almost no slowdown; gotta love the 2.6 kernels.

Also, I've been having a weird X issue that I'm not sure is being caused by Firefox or not. Periodically, when I'm scrolling down a webpage with the arrow keys, my mouse will just freeze completely, although Firefox still responds to keyboard command. If I switch to a text console and back to X, it fixes it. This happens only intermittently (every few hours), and I've only seen it happen while using Firefox 0.9. I've never seen an app cause X to do something like that before, but t never happened before I installed Firefox. Go figure.

I unmerged it and I'm now trying the binary ebuild. I haven't seen either of the problems crop up yet, but I haven't been using it for very long yet either. I wasn't using any really exotic CFLAGS or anything like that; just -march, -pipe, -fomit-frame-pointer, and -O2. I also was careful about cleaning out my profile, etc...

Anyone else have troubles like this? If I still have these problems with the binary ebuild I think I'm going to drop down to 0.8 or switch to Mozilla 1.7 (which is very stable, but uses more RAM and is a little slower wrt UI).

OK, I can now confirm that the first problem I mentioned does not happen when I use the ebuild that installs the official binary build from mozilla.org. Is even -O2 too aggressive an optimization for firefox? I would assume that the people who compile the official build hand-select the individual optimizations that will work best on their own code, but what could possibly be causing this instability? Is the code used in the official build actually different than the code in the source tarball? I know for a fact that the official build is compiled with the same GCC version installed on my system and used to compile the source ebuild (3.3.3).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: