preinstall questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradcarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: preinstall questions Reply with quote

I am making a move possibly away from Mandrake and would like some advice

Which stage do you recomend? I am thinking of stage 2, how much benifit is gained from doing the bootstrapping on this machiene in otherwords starting at stage 1?

finally what should my expected downtime be on a 1.4 GHz T-Bird with 320MB ram? I kind of get the shakes when I can not be typing away ;)

garo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use stage1, you can optimize the software for your system, but if you start from stage2 or even 3 it's faster and you can still optimize your system if you update/re-install your software later,that way you have a good system in a small amount of time.

when i installed starting from 1 on 1.4gig P IV with 256 sd-ram, it took me +- 1 day to install a working system with X, no extra software
Luder99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm a faster system by running stage 1 vs the others?

I'm not too confident a system would run faster, although I can see where compile times would be better when starting from stage 1.

Anyone? Anyone?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a discussion of Compile Times here, so let's not duplicate that effort. :)

For what it's worth I think that if you are going to build a gentoo system you might as well bootstrap the thing. It's going to take some time to put a gentoo box together unless you've already compiled the programs you want to use. What's another 3 hours? Why not just make sure you have done everything you can to have a fast system? Now, I know there are always time constraints. I'm just saying that for me it's a good trade since I'm going to have to spend about a day on it anyway. Might as well take the time to bootstrap.
Luder99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood... I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this question...

Will a stage 1 yield a faster machine, or just faster compile times.

My limited knowledge tells me just faster compile times. A stage 3 build should produce the same output as a stage 1 build for any given app, however stage 1 could compile the app faster.

I know this is way off topic, maybe it should be it's own thread...

Thanks for the info..
KARL
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luder99 wrote:
I know this is way off topic, maybe it should be it's own thread...

You're fine. I would like to see some hard statistics on this as well. I just didn't want to see it get cluttered with posts about how long it took to compile KDE. That doesn't help all by itself. What would be ideal is for someone with an extra system (and a week or so of free time..) to install it both ways (bootstrapped and from stage 2) and time the progress.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luder99 wrote:
Will a stage 1 yield a faster machine, or just faster compile times.

My limited knowledge tells me just faster compile times.

I vote just the opposite - compile times will be the same, because GCC is very picky about the optimizations used to build itself, and throws all of your CFLAGS out the window. I suppose that an optimized glibc might make GCC go a teeny bit faster, but I'd be surprised if it were noticeable.

On the other hand,

Quote:
A stage 3 build should produce the same output as a stage 1 build for any given app

True, but only if you recompile said app. For apps that you just use as compiled in the stage 3 tarball, they may run slower than if you had compiled them yourself. And if you're going to recompile everything that was in the stage 3 tarball yourself, you've effectively done a stage 1 install.
Luder99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're basically saying in addition to gcc and say gclib, we are also going to compile cfdisk, etc as part of a stage1 and not stage 3, therefore those might run faster.

I see... I know were talking a negligible amount, especially on a "standard" system.

The reason I am so curious is I wanted to tweak every last ounce of speed out of an old laptop (120Mhz Pentium) and couldn't build from stage 1. Kept on crapping out, so I opted for a stage 3. It's nice, but if you're telling me it could be faster, maybe I'll need to try harder to bootstrap. :lol:

Thanks...
KARL
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly than performance,
Luder99 wrote:
Kept on crapping out, so I opted for a stage 3.

...every time I hear this, I think there's a hardware unreliability problem lurking in the background. The Gentoo bootstrap is an extremely demanding hardware test suite.
Luder99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably agree with you... It's a COMPAQ LTE 5250. Pentium 120 which is when, 1996? 1994? Maybe older? I'm probably lucky it still turns on, but hey, it's free!
bradcarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responces, I decided to start from stage one, as was said what is three hours :) I am on stage three now and things are going well, 3 hours to bootstrap and just shy of an hour for stage 2.

So in other words the major time is for X and KDE, I like fluxbox best but I always install kde first then fluxbox
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: