View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhabedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Strange problem with (?) Mozilla Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a strange problem with my Thinkpad T23 and Linux. It's hard to describe in detail because it isn't really reproduceable, it just happens frequently. I'll try to sum up what's happening, maybe someone has an idea:

1. The problem only seems to happen while I'm using Mozilla (1.0rc2), not on any particular website but more or less out of the blue.

2. If it happens my (external) USB mouse stops to work. The Ethernet card also stops to work. If I try to bring these devices up again, the logfile shows entries like:

May 20 11:17:05 bird kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 5
May 20 11:17:08 bird kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 20 11:19:09 bird kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
May 20 11:19:09 bird kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status f048 0c00 at 4085/4145 command 000ca000.

3. At this point, the only thing that I can do to get the whole system working again is reboot... :(

4. The system is Gentoo Linux 1.1a with a 2.4.19 kernel and XFree86 4.2.0. I use the Sawfish window manager with gkrellm. There are only a few fairly standard daemons running, including sshd, dhcpd, devfsd, syslogd, klogd, crond, postfix, and autofs4. The file system is ext3.

5. It looks like this doesn't happen with a stock SuSE 8.0. I'm not 100% sure as I don't boot into SuSE that often.

Has anybody seen something similar? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Edi.
mikaelu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Interrupts ? Reply with quote

This could be an interrupt problem. What is your output from:
cat /proc/interrupts ??

I have had similar problems with pcmcia cards ....
nhabedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Interrupts ? Reply with quote

mikaelu wrote:
This could be an interrupt problem. What is your output from:
cat /proc/interrupts ??

Here it is:

Code:

edi@bird:~> cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       
  0:     504738          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       2542          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
 11:       2614          XT-PIC  Intel ICH3, eth0, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
 12:         28          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:       6551          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

I don't know what to look at, though... :)
nhabedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange problem with (?) Mozilla Reply with quote

nhabedi wrote:

5. It looks like this doesn't happen with a stock SuSE 8.0. I'm not 100% sure as I don't boot into SuSE that often.

I can now confirm that it also happens with SuSE, so this is not Gentoo specific. I still would like to know how to get rid of this... :)

What stands is that it seems to be related to using Mozilla (1.0rc2).

Thanks,

Edi.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you try moving the ethernet card toa different pci slot...drobbins did an article about resolving irq issues...you ight want to check that out....looking at proc i would say its an irq issue
mikaelu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Interrupts Reply with quote

Check /etc/pcmica/config.opts

Try with:

exclude irq 11
nhabedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

Thanks to all who replied.

It turned out that it was an IRQ problem. I now have used the BIOS to completely disable IRQ sharing and the problem seems to be gone. (That's why I waited a couple of days before I posted this. It's almost a week now and I haven't encountered the bug since.)

Just for the record:

1. It wasn't only Mozilla, I was able to trigger the bug with Konqueror, too.

2. I think it was the NIC conflicting with the USB mouse.

3. Switching from eepro100 to e100 (as provided by Intel) as some suggested didn't solve the problem.

Thanks again,
Edi.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: