OpenAFS compile fails on Alpha
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renfrew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: OpenAFS compile fails on Alpha Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have been trying to get OpenAFS running on a set of alpha machines my lab aquired from the lab of another faculty member who retired (I am a graduate student in a protein design lab) . I have been having no luck. The machines are all ev6 and ev7's with a fresh install of gentoo. I have been using Gentoo myself for a few years but all of my experience is on x86 machines and I have never used AFS before. I have followed the instuction from Gentoo's OpenAFS guide, some of the documentation on the OpenAFS website, and my unviversities instructions (written for Redhat).

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openafs.xml
http://www.openafs.org/doc/index.htm
http://help.unc.edu/?id=3750&within=search-1042546175

I have read all of the threads and most of the information at bugs.gentoo.org about OpenAFS. I have tried compiling the package by hand as well and get the same errors.

here is the end of the output...
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-unknown-linux-gnu/3.3.2/../../../../alpha-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /var/tmp/portage/openafs-1.2.11/work/openafs-1.2.11/lib/libprot.a(ptuser.o): gp-relative relocation against dynamic symbol pruclient
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [pam_afs.so.1] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/openafs-1.2.11/work/openafs-1.2.11/src/pam'
make[2]: *** [login] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/openafs-1.2.11/work/openafs-1.2.11'
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/openafs-1.2.11/work/openafs-1.2.11'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-fs/openafs-1.2.11 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 52, Exitcode 2
!!! make

when I complie the source by hand it exits at the same point.
I have tried all of the versions of OpenAFS available in portage and none work.

I am using the alpha-sources version 2.4.21-r7 and gcc version 3.3.2. I have the afs USE flag set.

Should I try a 2.9.x version of gcc? Is this a pam problem? Should I try the vanilla sources, or the compaq sources?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance

-Doug
renfrew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

So the problem was that pam was linking to a static library that needed to be complied as position independant code (PIC)

changed
Code:
XCFLAGS = -O2
in platform depandant makefile, in this case Makefile.alpha_linux_24 and Makefile.alpha_linux_24.in to
Code:
XCFLAGS = -O2 -fPIC
after the ebuild was unpacked. I then did a make, and merged the ebuild. Now I just have to get kerberos to work that way I need it to and I will be all set.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: