Start page of gentoo.org?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fragcollector
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Start page of gentoo.org? Reply with quote

I've bookmarked http://www.gentoo.org/index.html a long time ago. This was not a good idea, I got a "404 not found" today. Seems that the standard page is now called http://www.gentoo.org/index.xml. This made me curious and I looked into it. Nothing XML like, just plain old HTML 4.01 Transitional. Well, as long as the mime type given by the server is text/html this mis-naming should be okay, but it could confuse some people.

Anyway, I think there should be a server-side redirection to send people who bookmarked index.html to the new page.
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just never bookmarked index.html; too easy to miss the page you're looking for. If the webmaster decides to go to .jsp's or .asp's, or even changes it from .htm to .html or vice versa, you're screwed.

Just my $0.02, but let the server direct you to the proper base page for a directory.
fragcollector
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guero61 wrote:
I've just never bookmarked index.html; too easy to miss the page you're looking for. If the webmaster decides to go to .jsp's or .asp's, or even changes it from .htm to .html or vice versa, you're screwed.

Just my $0.02, but let the server direct you to the proper base page for a directory.

I normally don't either, but sometimes it just happens. Well, it doesn't matter anymore, it's been corrected... (In my bookmark file of course, not on gentoo.org)
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I normally don't either, but sometimes it just happens.

Yeah, you're right... sorry! I didn't even think of that; hope you can forgive my little "higher than thou" tone there... :oops:

I didn't realize how haughty I can sound when I'm in a hurry...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: