View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixtiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Font sizes in X / Gtk Reply with quote

Hi !

Here's my problem : I'm using Gtk-2 apps (mainly Rox-filer and gdm) under WindowMaker and I have a problem with font sizes : they are too small, and without anti-aliasing...

I Found out that with an export GDK_USE_XFT=1, anti-aliasing was turned on, at least in Rox-filer. But the fonts are always small and anti-aliasing small fonts is quite ugly :(

So I put the line match any size < 12 edit size = 12; in /etc/X11/Xftconfig and I had a correct font size in Rox-filer.

But my last emerge updated XFree from 4.2.0-r12 to 4.2.1 and the line in /etc/X11/Xftconfig doesn't work any more :cry:

BTW I wasn't satisfied with the modification of /etc/X11/Xftconfig because it's supposed to affect all the fonts in all X11 apps, so I wanted to change...

Does anyone know how to set the default font size for all GTK-2 apps ?

Note : Just after the install of my gentoo I was in this situation, then, I don't know why, anti-aliasing appeared in gdm and rox-filer with correct (not small as usual) font sizes, then a few days after, it disappeared 8O 8O If someone has an explanation....
symbiote
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you mean. after emerging xfree 4.2.1 i had the same problem.

fonts in gnome were relatively small; the menus were fine however, but the fonts in the splash screen, logout window, and more were ultimately small. unreadable and unantialiased.

i rebooted. startx'd. and everything was fine. rebooted. and know its messsed up again -- small small small small fonts.

WEIRD.
Sixtiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the solution for rox-filer : as said in their FAQ, I put the line gtk-font-name = "helvetica 12" in my .gtkrc-2.0 and the fonts have the correct size.

Note that it also works with gtk-font-name = "12" but it displays some warnings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: