SciTech SNAP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: SciTech SNAP Reply with quote

Any1 here already tried SNAP?

http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/snap_linux.html

SciTech SNAP Graphics 2.0 for Linux - Powerful enough for the most demanding corporate enterprise yet simple enough for the desktop.

SciTech SNAP Graphics provides true plug-n-play convenience to Linux regardless of which version of XFree86 or Linux Distribution you are using, and supports virtually all graphics hardware with enterprise level support, and stability with out the need to tweak and compile driver source or hand edit config files.

SciTech SNAP Graphics provides a scalable enterprise enabled solution that adapts to changes on the client with out the need for user interaction or modifications to the existing drive image. By removing the need to separately qualify systems based on installed graphics hardwire, TCO can be dramatically reduced and long-term enterprise stability increased.

SciTech SNAP Graphics has been deployed world-wide by some of the worlds largest corporations with stellar results – lower support costs, better system stability, and reductions in the steps required to qualify a drive image for deployment. SciTech SNAP Graphics is the solution of choice for leading IT managers whom recognize the value of providing a stable, supported, and SciTech certified solution to the client. Try it for your self, were confident you’ll agree, that SciTech SNAP Graphics for Linux is the easiest most powerful device driver solution available on any platform.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you work for SciTech or any afilliates?

You sure sound like a bad commercial! :)

I've tried the snap server and yes it did provide me with a faster server, but it's support for various cards are still not good enough for my daily use, pluss the fact it costs $$$ and is not OSS.

No thanks!

Moving this to Gentoo Chat as it is not a question of support.

Erik
tam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

Of course NOT.

Quote:

Sorry, I just c&p the description from their website.

I didn't want to offend someone here.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam wrote:
ebrostig wrote:

Of course NOT.

Quote:

Sorry, I just c&p the description from their website.

I didn't want to offend someone here.

Lol, don't worry.

I tried to say it with a smile :)

Erik
AllTom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reinstalling XFree now after trying Snap. I ran the Snap installer and right after it finished copying files, it showed the Snap logo at a higher refresh rate than I got with my old drivers, but at a lower resolution. Still, it looked like I was going to get a better display than before, so I was excited. Then it bumped me back to a console or something. It looked like one, because I could make out a blinking cursor in the upper left, but the rest of the screen was flashing brilliant colors and I couldn't switch terminals. I rebooted (yay for magic keys?), ran the installer, and the same thing happened. The second time, I had started an X server, so I used Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get to it, which fixed the video and I could go back to the original terminal and continue the installation (which was configuring XFree).

Well, it did whatever it does to configure XFree and sent me on my way. I started X (still as root) to see a desktop at the same resolution and refresh rate as before.. except now I could *only* start X as root. First I got messages about creating log files in /var/log/, then about setuid root on some executable, etc., so here I am, installing XFree again. Hopefully this will reset the permissions to a point where it's usable.

However, don't let this post keep anybody from trying Snap because I'm using an AMD64 with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.. Both specifications which I can't find verified support for in their readme. I was hopeful for a few seconds, though, when it would show the test image during installation. Perhaps I'll try again later, but more likely it looks like I'll be waiting around for 64-bit drivers from ATI (although the benchmarks on Snap's site showed their drivers as being superior to ATI's in teh past).

*taps foot, checks watch, and glances at ATI*
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this news: http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5337530553.html

It would seem that SNAP will be free (of charges) for non-commercial use.

Further, according to this page: http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/snap_linux.html

At the very bottom, in the list of supported distributions, Gentoo is there.

I was unaware of SNAP. From what I've read, quickly, it seem to be some sort of hardware abstraction equivalent or similare to ALSA, a kind of one fit all API for xfree
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, does that mean the nightmare that is ati drivers will be replaced.

also will we be getting an ebuild, id love to try it out
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewan.paton wrote:
interesting, does that mean the nightmare that is ati drivers will be replaced.

also will we be getting an ebuild, id love to try it out

IIRC, only 2D graphics are supported fully. 3D only works on some cards, so playing games will be out of the question.
VMIfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the company a few weeks ago, because I too have an amd64. their tech support said they currently didn't support 64bit OS's, but I switched back to 32bits this weekend. I'm not having any luck with the ati-drivers either - I have a Mobility Radeon 9600, which is supposed to be supported by scitech, but not fully by ati-drivers. I can't even play tuxracer :cry: so how could I play anything more GPU intensive! I might try scitech, haven't decided yet - I do have an account with them though, and yes, it is currently free to person's, but not corporations. It is restricted though, you can only get 5 drivers a week (their site made it sound like they compiled a driver for you when you ask for it based off of your specifications). Their site also claims they are an "Official Driver Developement Partner" for ATI. (When I saw this laptop had an ATI graphics card, I should have known not to buy it, but I figured by now - 2 years after my first ati attempts before I got an Nvidia card - that the problem would have been fixed, but I was wrong) Would be interested to know if anyone else has tried it.
AllTom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMIfox wrote:
I'm not having any luck with the ati-drivers either - I have a Mobility Radeon 9600, which is supposed to be supported by scitech, but not fully by ati-drivers. I can't even play tuxracer :cry:

Err, you're sure direct rendering is enabled, right? :? (glxinfo | grep direct)
VMIfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I guess it isn't installed. I followed the ATI How To, but my card is the r350, and it didn't say anything about installing xfree-dri for that card. Also, I'm using xorg-x11, so I didn't realize I'd need xfree-dri. But since xorg-x11 is a fork of xfree, it doesn't surprise me. I'll check it out, thanks.
VMIfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, xfree-drm won't compile because it says I need the 2.4 kernel it's not compatible with 2.6 kernels, guess I'll have to recompile my kernel - I don't remember if I put it in or not, but I must not have because I don't have direct rendering.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: