Compiling kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Compiling kernel Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently using Debian Linux but want to switch to Gentoo, one of the reasons being the better performance (speed).

Just had a couple of questions: I am not an expert, but am interested in Linux and read about the install. A lot of things seem logical and familiar, but a lot isn't (although the documentation is good). I am a bit afraid about configuring the kernel: do you have to know the code for this, or is it more or less a system of marking which hardware components you want in it?
Furthermore the issue of speed: you can start with a stage 1, 2 or 3 tarball. Is the performence of stage 1 better? Because the later stages (2 or 3) are compiled for your type of processor but not for your own system.
I'm thinking about installing it, but just want to know about these things....

Thanks in advance,

Rem
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling a kernel is not really that big of a deal. I know it's intimidating at first, but it's like riding a bike - you have to just do it and then you'll understand why you shouldn't have been worried. The Installation Guide gives a few tips that you'll have to follow to make sure that it works with Gentoo. The Linux Kernel HOWTO will help you with a lot more of the details of actually compiling a kernel.

The short answer to your second question is yes, things will be faster if you compile them for your system yourself. If you want to learn way too much about CFLAGS you'll want to read the CFLAGS CENTRAL thread.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that I have split a few devfs questions off from this thread.
Rem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I got Gentoo working now, but want to do I comlete install lateron (started with stage 3, just to take a look first). The links will be usefull then. I've now compiled it using a vanilla-sources kernel. So when I have the time (I'm a student, so my computer is in my room, and I don't want it runnig all night :wink: ) I'll try the install from stage 1. Just one question though: it says with compiling the kernel that (part 14) you have to enable "USE DMA by default" and "IDE disk", because your disks will perform poorly otherwise, but I couldn't find it. Is this only with the gentoo-sources maybe? The rest of the compiling ok, I think (still have to install the X environment). Anyway: Thanks!!

Rem
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you selected Generic PCI Busmaster DMA support or something similar (using (vanilla) kernel 2.5 now)? you then can select use DMA ....,

it's in the vanilla kernel also.

Cya lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: