pdf printing slow as hell.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: pdf printing slow as hell. Reply with quote

hi everyone.
my printer is very slow. i mean VERY slow. i usually print .pdf in very slow quality, so it works fast. but the quality is really bad, almost unreadable with small fonts. even tables are printed out with lineshifts to left and right. so i pushed up the quality in the CUPS from 360 (bad quality) to 720 (high quality). the result is a very nice print image. but my printer shouldn't work 4h for 4 sides. no matter what. is there a (gentoo) way to speed up printing. i've found serveral forums, that talk about "tunelp" but i've not found that package in the portage tree. any ideas?

here my printer settings:

epson stylus c40ux (usb)
gimp-print-cups 4.3.0-r2
gimp-print 4.2
cups 1.1.17_pre20021025
ghostscript 7.05.5
MBCook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever used the printer in windows? It just might be the USB that's slowing the printer down. Don't know how you'd test that. Does it matter what program your printing in? Have you tried ghostview vs acroread? Have you tried converting to post script and printing that? As for tunelp, my guess would be (just from the name, never seen it) that it modifys the parallel port to allow it to transfer more data. Having a USB printer, it wouldn't make a difference (i don't think). And that's another option, can the printer be connected by a standard parallel port at all?

Bascially, we need to narrow down the problem to a program or two.

PS: Could you post some more info on your computer? CPU speed, memory, and swap should do it.

Read an intelligent book like "The New Thought Police" or "The War Against Boys", and learn the TRUTH.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried to print a site from my browser. if i'd like to have something printed out with at least SOME quality i seemingly have to wait... very long. i've found some clues about different ghostscript versions and speed problems with newer versions. is this confirmed? the normal printing quality is really bad. it seems that i have to buy a better supported printer. any suggestions what printer this could be :roll: ?

(SysSpecs: AMD AthlonXP 2000+ (1666Mhz / 133[266]FSB)
Epox 8KHAL (VIA KT266A)
512MB Infineon RAM
Asus GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB (V8460 Ultra)
IBM 80GB 7200rpm / Segate 40GB 5400rpm
Creative SBLive! [ALSA 0.9.0rc3]
Gentoo BSV 1.4.1.1
Kernel 2.4.19
X 4.2.1 / Enlightenment 0.16
Swapfilesize: 1024MB)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: