View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: help !!! galeon/mozilla kicking me out of X Reply with quote

ok... i am doing this in lynx...
nothing else is working (as to a web browser)
so... i am emerging since some time now (totem)
and if i use mozilla or galeon i
crash and get a:
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
and an error 11 (canceling my X)
and some nvarm tells me: agpgarp
freed (yeah right) 16 pages....
sounds great but i do not appreciate
getting kicked out of my gnome heaven
... really...
what is my problem? and... is it save to do a emerge unemerge galeon???
and if.... what browser (stable) should i use???
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda odd that it happens in just a browser but have youy tried #emerge unmerge mozilla , then deleting the .mozilla directory in your home and emerging it again to see if it helps....i am only guessing at this though.

the referance to dri looks like you must be running an nvidia driver adn mozie is looking for dri ...so also and maybe first try reemrgign nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx and using the opengl-update nvidia or what ever it tells you to run after glx installs
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the referance to dri looks like you must be running an nvidia driver

Assuming rommel's guess is correct, then are you using the "offical" nvidia-driver build, and if so then did you compile in DRI support in the kernel? If the answer to both is yes, then don't! Don't compile DRI support that is. There is no DRI support for nVidia cards, all 3D acceleration is handled by nVidia's binary drivers, if you want 3D that is. The standard open-source nVidia drivers that come with XFree work, but support neither 3D acceleration or DRI. Do not enabled DRI in any shape or form (unless you are using a non-nVidia card where there is DRI support explicitly listed among the devices in the kernel configurator - ATI Radeon, 3DFX Voodoo etc).

You may want to keep agpgart support in your kernel, but keep it as a module, because the nvidia-driver build actually implements its own agpgart. If the open-source kernel based agpgart is loaded, then the official nVidia driver will try to use that, otherwise it just does it by itself. You may find that nVidia implementation works better for you. If the kernel based agpgart is available as a module you can use the insmod and rmmod commands to load and unload it, so you can try starting X under both conditions.

You can select the driver you want to use by following the instructions in the Gentoo Desktop configuration guide over at www.gentoo.org. You need to enable GLX as stated in that guide (only if the official driver is enabled), and change the driver name in your XF86Config to switch between the free and official drivers.

Not really sure why Mozilla invoke any usage of DRI. Another thing: I tried using the nvidia-driver ebuild on a PIII/440BX/nVidia TNT combo recently and the official driver just locked up going into X where it always worked perfectly before. There's some discussion about this around the forums, including a thread in Tips'n'Tricks that says you need SysV IPC communication enabled in your kernel if I remember correctly.

EDIT: ah yes, and as rommel alluded to, you must run this if you are using nvidia-driver build:
Code:
opengl-update nvidia

and it would be wise to revert to the default libs if you are not:
Code:
opengl-update xfree
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no...
the error appears even more frequently....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what else to do?????
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, I'm fast running out of answers here! Last ditch suggestions:

You have
Code:
Load "glx"

in your /etc/X11/XF86Config, and it is not commented (preceded by a #)?

You are using:
Code:
Driver "nvidia"

:?: Is so, you must have glx available as described above. If not, try the plain vanilla open-source driver (where you *shouldn't* be loading glx) as follows:
Code:
Driver "nv"

For the record, I'm using the slow, no-frills, no-3D "nv" driver now and running Mozilla 1.1 which is working (almost) perfectly. I even managed to use the beta Galeon for Gnome2 which is wobbly (unsurprisingly) but did work.

Thinking off on a tangent, perhaps the GLX implementation has changed in XFree-4.2.1, which might be a problem if you're using the official nVidia drivers as they are pre-compiled I think. You could try XFree-4.2.0, or re-emerging XFree or Mozilla period (not a nice answer I know).

This is a good tip: use opengl-update to set your 3D config to "xfree" before you compile anything (some builds expect the default libraries to be visible). I know at least "celestia" is in this category, and there may be others.

On the other hand, Mozilla compiles as a static binary, i.e. no external libraries are dynamically linked so who knows, perhaps if something it relies upon changes then it is b0rked.

If you're compiling Mozilla with the "gtk2" use flag, then knock off that flag and compile it again. Keep your optimisations sane.

Can't think of much else ...
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it... some link showed me a xfree config file with
load dri in it... i deleted that remark... and now... it seems to be ok
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: