problems untarring/bootstrapping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thgreatoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: problems untarring/bootstrapping Reply with quote

Ok, I posted before on this issue, and received some good advice I think, but it still won't install. I think I know why I'm getting my "exit delayed from previous error", when I untar, now I just want to know how to fix it! :)

I noticed that when I untar the stageone tarball, when it's trying to extract the directory "./boot/boot", I get the error "tar: ./boot/boot: Cannot create symlink to '.'; read only filesystem."

How do I rectify this??
(sincerest apologies for wasting bandwidth on a lame question)
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type "mount" and make sure your partitions are mounted correctly (occasionally they'll inadvertantly get mounted as read only or the wrong filesystem, espescially if Windows was on the HD before). Also, be sure you're untarring in the correct location (i.e. you're in /mnt/gentoo when you run "tar xvjpf").
thgreatoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: fixed? Reply with quote

I think I've got it working...I abandoned ext3 in favor of ext2, and mounted /mnt/gentoo with the "-t ext2" switch. It extracted no problem and is bootstrapping now. *knock on wood*
tomb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: another try Reply with quote

i ran into the same problem i simply specified the ext3 as the type when i mounted the device and problem solved. another thing for you to check would be to rewrite the partition table, and it would let you know any possible re-read errors. then try rebooting and rewriting the table again i do this for a friend and it worked. good luck
thgreatoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update: I got everything working (including sound and Nvidia gl accelleration.) Thanks for all the advice! The gentoo community is the best one I've ever seen in terms of user support!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: