Host Name
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmkk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Host Name Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it is looking for on the final steps of the install guide
Quote:
Final steps: /etc/hostname

Edit this file so that it contains your fully-qualified domain name on a single line, i.e. mymachine.mydomain.com.

Final steps: /etc/hosts

This file contains a list of ip addresses and their associated hostnames. It's used by the system to resolve the IP addresses of any hostnames that may not be in your nameservers. Here's a template for this file:

Code listing 32

127.0.0.1 localhost
# the next line contains your IP for your local LAN, and your associated machine name
192.168.1.1 mymachine.mydomain.com mymachine

Is this only for those who connect to static IP addresses? Also, I forgot what the name of my network cards module is since it auto detected it and didn't pay attention. Does anyone know what module I need to put in the /etc/modules.autoload file in order to load a Netgear FA311 ethernet card?
jcmkk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys. I know you know this because you had to go through this step, when you installed, too.
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make your hostname to whatever you want it to be, unless you are going to be hosting a web server - in which case you would want to your domain name. I connect to the net with a dynamic IP via a small lan, and the IP address for my Gentoo box is 192.168.0.3, my router is 192.168.0.1 - that is set as my default gateway. I called my Gentoo box anubis.billydpro.com, for no other reason than that is the hostname I came up with at the time.

As far as the module for your NIC, can't help you out there, but I don't think you would have much trouble finding it if you do a google search with something like "FA311 linux module".

Edit: After a quick google search, it appears the name of the module you are probably after is the natsemi.o module...(just add natsemi to your modules.autoload file).
jcmkk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: