Qmail issues on gentoo/sparc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihateqmail
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Qmail issues on gentoo/sparc Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have been working for over a week to get qmail working on gentoo 1.4.10 sparc64. I have built and used qmail before without issues on linux/intel and solaris/sparc, so I am familiar with qmail quirks but this one is really getting me.

Originally, I emerge'd qmail and configured it using the setup I had on the same server when it was running solaris. No dice. although it would listen on 25 and accept email for the appropriate domains, it would never deliver any mail. Neither to ~/Maildir nor to the gentoo preferred ~/.maildir

Ok, I figured maybe there was something specific about the build, so I looked around for some documentation. After finding a couple walkthroughs, I removed qmail with "emerge -C qmail" and deleted the stale config files, logs, etc. Then I followed the instructions here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/qmail-howto.xml

and failed to receive email on step 2.5.

I removed qmail and tried again using an almost duplicate set of instructions here:

http://www.skunkworx.org/guides/QmailOnGentoo.txt

and no dice. So, I removed qmail again, emerge'd and custom tweaked every parameter I know of and when it failed I emerge'd maildrop to use as the local mail delivery mechanism. Still no dice.

Before you ask, the queues have been setup properly by queue-fix, I have tried numerous perturbations of setups (abbreviated above), the home directories are accessible and in some cases were even set to 777 for debugging, I have tried explicitly setting users up in the /var/qmail/users/assign file *and* allowing default delivery, I altered the defaultdelivery mechanism to use ~/Maildir, ~/.maildir and maildrop, I have manually configured qmail with and without ssl, and using the /var/db/pkg/qmail... ebuild config. But none of the above have worked. I cannot find any errors in the qmail logs, nor can I find any badmail or bounced messages anywhere on the system.

Is there something wrong with the sparc32/64 portage of qmail ? Has anybody else had similar problems?

Any tips, pointers, or way I can find where these messages have gone would be great - I can't find anything wrong (other than that the mail never gets delivered).

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

-Gary
brianakee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be building qmail as soon as I can solve my kernel realted problems.

I will post my results here.

Thanks

TM
skunkworx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, make sure you don't still have another SMTP server, such as sendmail or ssmtp, still present on your server. If you do, it may be attaching itself to port 25, preventing qmail from doing so.

Barring that, remember that "Logs Are Your Friends." Have a look at the log files in the /var/log/qmail directories, particularly the logs in /var/log/qmail/qmail-send. Any message that qmail processes, whether successfully delivered or not, will have a record of where it went and why.

If in doubt, post the logs generated by your failed message deliveries here.

"Everyday is just one day." -- not the Traveling Wilburys
psi0nik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say qmail-smtpd will accept mail... does it queue it? ie, what's the output of /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat?

if mail is queueing but not delivering, it's a problem with qmail-send or your delivery config.. check /var/log/qmail/qmail-send/current for errors
brianakee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have qmail currently (well mostly) working on sparc64 (Ultra5). I can send and receive mail most of the time. I do however every once in a while get a bounce message:

Code:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mymail.server.tld.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<user@domain.tld>:
ree(): invalid pointer 0xeffffcb0!
free(): invalid pointer 0xeffffcb0!
ZConnected to XX.XX.XX.XX but connection died. (#4.4.2)

I also see errors like:

Code:
delivery 13: failure: ree():_invalid_pointer_0xeffffcb0!/free():_invalid_pointer_0xeffffcb0!/ZConnected_to_<remote.smtp.server.ip>_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/

Interestingly enough, sometimes I get the invalid pointer message in my log files even when the messages is sent. As well , if the message gets bounced, most of the time all I have to do is resend it and all is well (except for the invalid_pointer message in the logs).

I have found very little about the error messages, however a google search did return a message thread discussing a similar problem:
http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail0407/63.html

Anybody else seeing this?

Thank You,

TM
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: