Samba+Cups+Printer on Windows Comp = Argh
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Samba+Cups+Printer on Windows Comp = Argh Reply with quote

Argh. Just....argh.

I've got two computers on a cable modem, behind a hub, which I bought before I knew there was a difference between a hub and a router. *mutter*

Anywho, I'm going through the gentoo printing guide, and the foomatic-configure part for a networked printer is confoozling me. The part that goes smb://user:password@server/share... just what the hell do I put in there? I know zip about a user name (I use XP... is this the user and pass of one of my XP accounts?), the server IP changes (can I put something else in here?), and...well, I know what the share part needs to be, but that's kinda useless at this point.

My name is Normie, and I am a newbie. Thank you. *mutter*

<edit>Also, is there something I need to set up on the WinXP end?</edit>
-Normie -- "Gack! Top-heavy!"

<edit2>More info... it's an HP LaserJet 5L (parallel port), the computer name is 'oldcomputer', the IP addy varies constantly (well, almost), and all the defaults for that connection on XP are enabled (NetBios, File/Print Sharing, etc.)

Last edited by Normie on Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:31 am; edited 2 times in total
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the username, password of the user i log onto the windows box
eg
Administrator/adminpassword (no, thats not my password :-p)
theclaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually did you follow the Samba instructions at the bottom of the Desktop Guide. It explains in detail what to do. I did it exactly the way he said with minor changes to the WORKGROUP and it worked fine. Then I emerge LinNeighborhood and was able to browse to the windows shares. Saw the printer was there and then went about with CUPS. What I found with CUPS was that I had to install a older ebuild because the version I was using had a bug in it that wouldn't allow me to connect to it.
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I didn't make that clear, I meant... I'm on a linux box, the printer's on an XP computer, the printing guide is unclear. Discuss. ;)
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a look at what theclaus suggests could supply some wisdom to clear up the printing guide for you?
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged xfsamba the other day, and tried to connect to the XP machine (where the printer is) through it's IP address. It timed out, so the problem is not the linux box, but either the connection or the XP box ('specially when you consider that Samba seems to work fine going to my vmware os...). So, new questions.

1) What port does Samba run on by default (or does it matter?)? I know my ISP blocks many 'popular' ports by default...

2) Is there something I have to do besides share the printer on the XP box? As long as I've dealt with XP, I've never had to deal with networking. :oops:

-Normie
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like it is a problem with your ISP, since you should be able to go from one conputer to the other without going outside of your hub. I am not sure if this is true, but I heard that some installations of XP have a software firewall running. You might want to check to see if you have a firewall since it could be blocking access.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP and samba only work together if you DISable:
Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> Local Policies --> Security Options --> Digitally Encrypt (all three) on the XP box,
and enable encryption in samba.
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadow303-
I'm not sure, but I think 'internal' connections DO go outside not only my hub, but the ISP completely (wouldn't surprise me much if my connection requests ended up somewhere in England before they got to their destination 20 feet away from me in Las Vegas :? ). I know for sure I usually have problems when I try... I'll do a traceroute or something later. (I want a router. *mutter*)

AlterEgo-
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it when I get home, let you know how it goes. :)

-Normie
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No go.

Firstly, a traceroute reveals that I DON'T go outside the ISP when trying to connect to my other computer--though frankly, I'd be happier if this WERE the case; easier to solve.

Secondly, I tried following AlterEgo's suggestions, and still no go. No matter what I do in the CUPS administration web interface, the samba config files, etc., I always time out trying to print. Helllpp meeeee..... :(

-Normie
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: