What is the purpose of this forum?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: What is the purpose of this forum? Reply with quote

So if all "serious" suggestions are supposed to be submitted to bugs.gentoo.org, then what is the purpose of this forum?

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass -- I honestly don't understand why this forum exists if the developers look in another place for user feedback. (I'm happy to provide feedback in whatever format the developer wants -- just trying to understand what's what.)

???
freefall
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of this forum is to help Gentoo users. You have a problem with your Gentoo linux install? Post your problem and maybe someone can help you solve it. It's as simple as that.

Edit- Oh, you mean the Gentoo Suggestions forum.
/me feels like a dumbass.

Last edited by freefall on Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freefall wrote:
The purpose of this forum is to help Gentoo users. You have a problem with your Gentoo linux install? Post your problem and maybe someone can help you solve it. It's as simple as that.

Perhaps you didn't read the charter of this forum:

Quote:
Want to see something added to gentoo? Have a gripe about the way something works? Discuss it here. Note: The developers do not have the time/resources to monitor both the forum and mailing list, submit serious suggestions to: https://bugs.gentoo.org.

I agree that the *other* Gentoo forums have a clear purpose. My question was specifically regarding the purpose of *this* forum. (Gentoo Suggestions)

--kurt
tvon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of this forum? Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
So if all "serious" suggestions are supposed to be submitted to bugs.gentoo.org, then what is the purpose of this forum?

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass -- I honestly don't understand why this forum exists if the developers look in another place for user feedback. (I'm happy to provide feedback in whatever format the developer wants -- just trying to understand what's what.)

???

IMHO:

Gentoo developers (and likewise bugs.gentoo.org) dont need to be flooded with suggestions or ideas that have already been mentiond 100 times by 100 different people on IRC and the mailing list.

Alot of good ideas have already been considered and decided upon (rejected or planned for future versions), including some in here (simultaneous download + compile comes to mind).

So, to me this forum is where people can disucss things they would like to see in gentoo without bothering the deveopers with it.....if an idea sounds good (sparks discussion) maybe someone can run to bugs.gentoo.org and submit the suggestion (after they are sure that it has not already been submitted....or at least after they have checked)......

I dont mean to be a jerk...my point is, the developers are very busy, but they are not idiots and they have very good ideas about where/when/how things should be done. It will save them time and grief if we discuss things before shooting ideas to them or to the mailing list (or to bugzilla).

I could be wrong of course.

-Tom

Python Powerd Web Hosting
http://www.etria.com/
Webware, Zope, CGI, More on request...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of this forum? Reply with quote

tvon wrote:
So, to me this forum is where people can disucss things they would like to see in gentoo without bothering the deveopers with it.....if an idea sounds good (sparks discussion) maybe someone can run to bugs.gentoo.org and submit the suggestion (after they are sure that it has not already been submitted....or at least after they have checked)......

OK -- that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by klieber on Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of this forum? Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

???

This forum has more of an aim at discussing suggestions. Then, users can submit a more complete and better thoughtout suggestion to the actual mailing list/bugs.gentoo.org, and maybe reference a topic in the forum. For more information.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
rsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah nitro that's an awesome quote in your sig :)
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsk wrote:
hahah nitro that's an awesome quote in your sig :)

Like it huh? I told my sister that one time and she's like "and.... who's the other person? You said there were three..."

:lol: :lol:

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: