Frustration with GCC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unprompted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Frustration with GCC Reply with quote

One of my computers is giving me excessively frustrating problems, and I've run out of ideas on how to deal with it.

When I first installed gentoo 1.2 on it a couple of months ago, everything went fine, except for one strange problem. KDE failed to compile with an internal compiler error (signal 11, if I recall correctly). I found that when I tried to emerge kde again, it got further, and with more repetition, it eventually installed all of the kde packages. Once or twice while updating mozilla, I had similar problems. This was a tad irritating, but I've been able to live with it.

I've tried all different kinds of CFLAGS trying to achieve some consistent success...everything from the default ones which seem rather conservative to -O1 -mcpu=i386 to -O3 -march=i686 for fun. Nothing seems to change.

Through all of this, everything that's installed has essentially been very stable.

Recently, I figured I'd upgrade to 1.4-RC1. GCC has new -mcpu type for my Athlon XP processor, so I figured it might be more appropriate. The upgrade failed. GCC 3.2 wouldn't compile in step 2, with an error referring to undefined symbols named ".L" followed by various three or four digit numbers. I started from scratch, wiped out hard drive space, and started a fresh install of gentoo 1.4-RC1. I tried from all three stages. I got more undefined .L* symbols, I got GCC dying with weird signals, and on occasion, it would seem to be compiling a single file for hours with no progress.

I threw the hard drive in another computer, finished the install, and put it back. I've been able to install most of what I need now on my computer in question. It's doing everything I want with my mail, X works, mplayer works... Some things that refuse to install include mozilla and kde, which give me errors similar to those above.

The troublesome computer has an Athlon XP 1700+ processor with 265MB of RAM. I stripped its hardware down to a bare minimum at one point, and never saw a difference. memtest hasn't found any errors, and I tried different memory at one point. I've installed Gentoo on different hard drives with the same results.

I've installed Gentoo on two other computers without any problems even remotely like this. I make mistakes, but I'm not aware of any that I've made with this computer that could possibly cause this.

I just installed FreeBSD 4.7 on the computer to see if it would have any problems installing the programs that give it trouble with Gentoo. It went without flaw (kde and mozilla installed without hesitation), but it used GCC 2.95.4, which I used with neither Gentoo 1.2 or 1.4-RC1. Unfortunately, FreeBSD is out of the question, because I need nvidia drivers.

Google searches have turned up nothing. I've asked a lot of people with out any success. Please help me.
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for FreeBSD installing without a hitch, i'd lead you to a couple of different paths to explore..

I have an older Athlon T-Bird 1.3 that just would complain and moan while I'd be installing Gentoo on it. I finally figured it was nothing I was doing, and bought a monster heatsink (one of those monster 1lb. Swiftech copper reserves) and the problems went away like magic.

A few months later, I was having problems again. This time it was happening all the time, not just in Gentoo either (in Slack as well). I replaced the motherboard, memory, and even the processor. Finally out of desperation, I replaced the case fearing more heat problems.

That did it. Confused over the heat problems (the BIOS was reporting approximately the same temps as before), I realized the only factor that was different was the power supply. Out of curiosity, I replaced the new high-quality 400W that came with the new case with the 400W unit out of my old one. Blammmo...problems returned.

So, I'd suggest you take a look at those two things after you've exhausted other more obvious ones. It sure burned me out of unnecessary $$$.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plight sounds similar to mine. Any chance you're using a KT333 chipset and/or a 120GB hard drive? I've never been able to get 1.4 to install on that computer, though it's installed flawlessly on 3 others.

I've concluded that it's an incompatibility of some sort with GCC and the KT333 chipset or some other component I have in my system. I haven't had the time or inclination to do much other troubleshooting of late, so I haven't made much progress.

--kurt
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Your plight sounds similar to mine. Any chance you're using a KT333 chipset and/or a 120GB hard drive? I've never been able to get 1.4 to install on that computer, though it's installed flawlessly on 3 others.

I've concluded that it's an incompatibility of some sort with GCC and the KT333 chipset or some other component I have in my system. I haven't had the time or inclination to do much other troubleshooting of late, so I haven't made much progress.

--kurt

The old board was a VIA chipset, but I can't remember which one (it was a year ago now). I replaced it with the SiS 735-based K7S5A board (first rev). As long as I've kept the BIOS up-to date, it's worked like a champ.

Problem was I never did figure out if the board or the power supply was responsible for the compile problems (maybe both?)
unprompted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motherboard is an MSI K7T 266Pro2, and yes, it uses a VIA chipset - KT266A/VT8233.

The BIOS is up-to-date.

The hard drive is an 80GB drive. I got the same thing from a 27GB drive.

It has a 350W Enermax power supply.

I'm skeptical, of course, of calling it a hardware or heat problem, because it's so isolated to compilations. If it were such a hardware problem, I'd expect fatal problems that take the whole computer down. I just stumbled upon cpuburn. I'll play with that for a while.

I'm so confused. If I have to, I will just run Gentoo on a different computer, but this is so bizarre...what can be done about it in general?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on my computer, it's not a heat problem -- I was able to install WinXP and run a cpu burn type of program for 12 hours without any problems.

I can, however, believe that it's a power problem, because my system does have quite a few components -- 4 PCI cards, 2x120GBx7200RPM drives, DVD, CD-RW, Athlon XP (power hog), 1GB RAM and a bunch of fans. All those things add up and compiling is one of the few things that would use all/most of them at the same time, meaning it places a higher draw on the PSU.

--kurt
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unprompted wrote:
My motherboard is an MSI K7T 266Pro2, and yes, it uses a VIA chipset - KT266A/VT8233.

The BIOS is up-to-date.

The hard drive is an 80GB drive. I got the same thing from a 27GB drive.

It has a 350W Enermax power supply.

I'm skeptical, of course, of calling it a hardware or heat problem, because it's so isolated to compilations. If it were such a hardware problem, I'd expect fatal problems that take the whole computer down. I just stumbled upon cpuburn. I'll play with that for a while.

I'm so confused. If I have to, I will just run Gentoo on a different computer, but this is so bizarre...what can be done about it in general?

Same here, that's why it took me so long to figure it out. I was able to play intensive-cpu hog games, and do most compiles, but the bigger ones would always die.

I wonder if it's because GCC is more sensitive to errors (perhaps because it's looking for them?) than other progs.

Other than that, I'd try a different chipset...since that seems to be the only common denominator here.
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
At least on my computer, it's not a heat problem -- I was able to install WinXP and run a cpu burn type of program for 12 hours without any problems.

I can, however, believe that it's a power problem, because my system does have quite a few components -- 4 PCI cards, 2x120GBx7200RPM drives, DVD, CD-RW, Athlon XP (power hog), 1GB RAM and a bunch of fans. All those things add up and compiling is one of the few things that would use all/most of them at the same time, meaning it places a higher draw on the PSU.

--kurt

There was a really good review over at Tom's regarding quality of power supplies. The conclusion was something like only 2 of 9 PSU's actually produced power adequate to their labelling. Pretty bad.

I'm not sure of the brand I bought with my case, but it seems to work just fine.

One sort of PSU voodoo I go by is the weight of the unit itself. Generally the units with a greater weight would usually also mean higher quality components (same goes with guitar amps, too: Mesa Boogies are HEAVY). It's totally hit or miss, and I sometimes feel like I'm shopping for grapefruit instead of PSUs :)

Last edited by brain on Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys have an above number of components sucking power off of your systems? If not, then I'm more likely to suspect the chipset.

--kurt
brain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Did you guys have an above number of components sucking power off of your systems? If not, then I'm more likely to suspect the chipset.

--kurt

I had 4 7200 RPM drives, a CD-RW, CD-ROM, 4 PCI cards, and 6 fans, plus the 2nd hottest CPU AMD made, the 1.3 T-Bird. So I'd say yea, in my situation :)
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustration with GCC Reply with quote

unprompted wrote:
KDE failed to compile with an internal compiler error (signal 11, if I recall correctly). I found that when I tried to emerge kde again, it got further, and with more repetition, it eventually installed all of the kde packages.

When you were stripping your boards, did you remember to try using different RAM ( In my experience, one of the most fault prone components )?

Perhaps you should read this ( signal 11 faq ). I think it should be mandatory reading for all Linux users.

-- Curious
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustration with GCC Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
When you were stripping your boards, did you remember to try using different RAM ( In my experience, one of the most fault prone components )?

Im my case, I ran extensive tests with memtest86, all of which passed with no errors, so I have to believe the RAM is good. Additionally, this box runs fine w/ Gentoo 1.2.

--kurt
unprompted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disabled cache WriteBack (It's mentioned briefly on that SIG11 page), and emerge mozilla has been chugging along longer than I ever remember it. I'll post new of my success and an enthusiastic exclamation of joy or continued frustration when it comes to a conclusion.
unprompted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wahoo! It looks like that did the trick! THANKS A TON!
Holger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: sig11 with gcc Reply with quote

hi,

i had similar problems (compiling kdebase, qt and mozilla didn't work due to internal gcc error). it might be a overheating cpu. i've tested the cpu with repeated kernel-compiling and bingo -> compiler error. BUT the kernel-compiling did work for more than 40 hours, the former compiler errrors occured on first try. i'm using a pentium III 800 mhz with via chipset.

any ideas how to reduce the cpu usage by software ? i don't want to buy new hardware and my only idea is to reduce the frequenzy.

greetings holger
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: sig11 with gcc Reply with quote

Holger wrote:
any ideas how to reduce the cpu usage by software ? i don't want to buy new hardware and my only idea is to reduce the frequenzy.

Depending on what mobo you have, you can underclock the CPU simply by reducing the multiplier. Search for "underclock CPU" on Google to get more info on this. Essentially, you have to tweak a jumper (or just modify your BIOS settings, if you have a slick mobo)

--kurt
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of trouble with gcc crashing when I first tried installing Gentoo on my Athlon-tbird 1.2Ghz. I also had a couple other problems I had been having for a really long time and never had tracked down. Some of them were very strange - the system wouldn't boot reliably if it was warm (on for more than, say 15 minutes) AND there was a SCSI card in it (this was true with 4 different SCSI cards I'd tried - two different PCI Adaptec cards, a Tekram PCI card, and a off-brand ISA card) - though it wasn't particularly unstable once it booted.

I was fairly sure it was either a PS or mobo issue because I had previously tried swapping out just about everything else to solve that SCSI problem with no luck. Eventually I tried setting the CPU to 12x100 instead of its rated 9x133, and all the problems (including the SCSI problem and the gcc problem) vanished without a trace. I haven't bothered to nail down the culprit because my system isn't actually running so much slower that it would be worth the time/money/effort. Even Windoze is more stable since the change.

It seems to me, that the three best stress tests for computer stability are:
1) Compiling mozilla
2) Compiling KDE
3) Bootstrapping gcc

I don't know why those particular activites should be any more strenuous on hardware than anything else CPU and memory intensive, but it seems that they are.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: sig11 with gcc Reply with quote

Holger wrote:

Damn -- I already answered this, but I can't believe I passed up an opportunity to pimp my own site. This article offers an introduction to underclocking and undervolting your CPU to make it run cooler. It's written in the context of making your system quieter, but the same steps would apply to your question.

--kurt
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems here, I was just preparing to run memtest

I've got a via kt133a with a tbird 1ghz and gcc gives a lot of internal compiler errors (besides X, the rest of my system runs smooth and stable), I just went down from 133/133 (mem/cpuclk) to 100/100 and while this improves my stability it doesnt fix the "internal compiler" error completly (still not able to compile kdelibs) my first guess was overheated cache on the cpu but I still think it maybe one of my RAM strips

I do have added an extra 80gb disk (total: 3) just before (a month or so) the problems started, so it could be my powersupply (350watt antec)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: