Ifconfig on install drops network link
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michi66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Ifconfig on install drops network link Reply with quote

I am installing 1.4 rc2 from the live cd. I have tried using net-setup to configure the NIC (tulip driver, Intel chipset) with a static IP. The link is up before net-setup, as shown by a green light on the hub (no traffic of course, just a working link). However, when I ran net-setup, the link dropped and of course I couldn't ping anyone.

I tried using Ifconfig to configure the NIC, and it had the same problem.

FYI, this problem also appeared in the 1.2 install (that's why I got the 1.4 cd.)

Adding the gateway to the route doesn't cause the problem, 'cause I reversed the order in the 1.2 install and the link didn't drop. Ifconfig conclusively causes the problem, but I don't know enough about how it works to know why.
Ethernal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to type "dmesg" afterwards to see if you get any error messages from the NIC ?
Hmm.. Of course, these are MY opinions - likely to be just as flawed as anyone else's. Um, really, I guess you should assume everyone's speaking out of some external influence. Believe in whatever makes sense to you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: