VMware for Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: VMware for Linux Reply with quote

Greetings,

I installed the vmware port for gentoo and I would like to know if I am doing something wrong. I configured it for bridged networking and I installed Windows XP as the guest. Everything starts ok upon startup within Linux but once I start Windows XP I get the automatic IP address assigned by XP under some 169.xxx.xxx.xxx network. I am under a DHCP network and my tcpip settings are set to access dhcp. My linux box accesses the dhcp server just fine. Am I leaving something out? I saw a post using Google and someone else had the exact same problem but no one responded.

Thanks.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible your DHCP server's address pool is exhausted or something silly like that. Or, it could be keyed by MAC address, at which point VMware would have issues (as it uses a fake MAC).

Can you use a packet capturing program (like Ethereal, for which there's an ebuild) to see what's going on?
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am still boggled with it. It isn't dhcp because I hardcoded an ip address on the same subnet as the linux host and it will not go out period. I tried to access the internet and just ping the gateway and nothing. I can ping the linux host and that is it. The bridge says it is up but I am skeptical. From the linux box, I can do anything on the network. Should there be a interface for vmnet0 in the routing table? I see one for vmnet1 and vmnet8.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I only run vmnet8 myself, because thats all I need. I can run dhcp all I want with that setup.

I selected Yes for NAT (vmnet8) and no for hostonly networking. I have full access to all networking, and a samba server running locally in order to share between local and vmware sessions. (My own samba, I could never get their samba to operate right)

I have an interface for vmnet8 running 192.168.17.1 (a network I'm not using) and eth0 is 192.168.1.4 (locally, and both are netmasked to 255.255.255.0) The wizard took care of the IP numbering, although I would have chose another another IP if I was doing it like 192.168.2.1 to keep things more tidy (in my mind, in my mind...). As far as routing goes, I have one entry for the network of 192.168.17.0 for vmnet8.

One thing that bugs me though, you said that you did NOT set Windows to use DHCP and you hardcoded the IP in... but you still get the 169.x.x.x IP address?
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my scenario to help eliminate any confusion.

eth0=192.168.60.2 (assigned via dhcp)
eth0_gateway=192.168.60.1 (assigned via dhcp)
vmnet0=bridged to eth0 - ip (???)
vmnet1=192.168.61.1
vmnet8=192.168.62.1

I installed Windows XP and all the interfaces show up in Windows XP.
The interface driver is AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adapter

Local Area Connection=169.254.132.195 (assigned via XP)
Subnet Mask=255.255.0.0 (assigned via XP)
DHCP Enabled=Yes

Local Area Connection2=192.168.61.128 (assigned via vmware dhcp)
Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0 (assigned via vmware dhcp)
Default Gateway=blank (assigned via vmware dhcp)
DHCP Server=192.168.61.254 (assigned via vmware dhcp)
DNS Servers=192.168.61.1 (assigned via vmware dhcp)

Local Area Connection3=192.168.62.128 (assigned via vmware dhcp)
Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0 (assigned via vmware dhcp)
Default Gateway=192.168.62.2 (assigned via vmware dhcp)
DHCP Server=192.168.62.254 (assigned via vmware dhcp)
DNS Servers=192.168.62.2 (assigned via vmware dhcp)

==============================================
My Local Area Connection (LAC) ip should be 192.168.60.XXX. It should be assigned via the same dhcp server that the linux host uses but it isn't seeing it. I removed the vmnet1 and vmnet8 interfaces and hardcoded an ip address which is on the same net as the linux host. I was able to ping the linux host but nothing else. I couldn't ping the dhcp server, the gateway or anything else.
I put vmnet1 and vmnet8 back in and rebooted the XP server. The interfaces came up and I was able to ping everything and access the internet. I am trying to logon to my NT domain but I can't see it. I tried to hardcode the wins servers but to no avail.
Under the network properties for activity I see packets sent from all the interfaces.
For packets received nothing is shown for LAC but there is for LAC2 and LAC3.

I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks,
Tony
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is one convoluted setup you have there. (no offense of course)
Have you thought about just simplifying it and running NAT (vmnet8) and that is it?

As far as the dhcp that vmware provides, I've never used that, so I'm not even sure how it works. I've always installed my own dhcp server and used that.
I will show you my configuration files, and hopefully you can get some idea of how I have mine setup as.

Here is my /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat file:
(all commented out stuff is taken out for brevity)
Code:

[host]
# NAT gateway address
ip = 192.168.17.2
netmask = 255.255.255.0
device = /dev/vmnet8
activeFTP = 1
[udp]
# Timeout in seconds, 0 = no timeout, default = 60; real value might
# be up to 100% longer
timeout = 60

Everything else (except the opening tags) is commented out.

wow.. Okay, I do have vmware's dhcpd setup and running LOL
here's the configuration file for it (/etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf)
Code:

allow unknown-clients;
default-lease-time 1800;                # 30 minutes
max-lease-time 7200;                    # 2 hours

subnet 192.168.17.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.17.128 192.168.17.254;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.17.255;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.17.2;
    option domain-name "localdomain";
    option routers 192.168.17.2;
}

(I've NEVER set this up myself.. it was all automatic)
My dhcpd.leases file is empty, obviously.

You should only have one extra network adapter for vmware.. any more is an overkill and could be getting in the way. (vmnet8)
try running through the /opt/vmware/bin/vmware-config.pl script again, selecting as follows:

(first the 2 times it asks you for the kernel headers)
Code:

You have already setup networking.

Would you like to skip networking setup and keep your old settings as they are?
(yes/no) [yes] no

Do you want networking for your Virtual Machines? (yes/no/help) [yes]

Would you prefer to modify your existing networking configuration using the
wizard or the editor? (wizard/editor/help) [wizard]

Configuring a NAT network for vmnet8.

The NAT network is currently configured to use the private subnet
192.168.17.0/255.255.255.0.  Do you want to keep these settings? [yes] no

Do you want this script to probe for an unused private subnet? (yes/no/help)
[yes] no

What will be the IP address of your host on the private network?
[192.168.17.1]

What will be the netmask of your private network?
[255.255.255.0]

Do you want to be able to use host-only networking in your Virtual Machines?
[no]

Do you want this script to automatically configure your system to allow your
Virtual Machines to access the host's filesystem? (yes/no/help) [no]

then it loads the modules and it's done, then starts kissing your butt for using vmware.

That pretty much does mine without a hitch. I communicate back and forth with my other Win2K machine (when it runs Win2K), and with my samba machine (sun server running debian with samba and other stuff.. not up all the time).

here's my vmnet8 interface:
vmnet8 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:C0:00:08
inet addr:192.168.17.1 Bcast:192.168.17.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

and my route is just the network 192.168.17.0 added in on interface vmnet8.

Try reconfiguring it like that, see if that helps you out! I know it can be a pain, but just try.
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkane, thanks for your help. I'll give it a try tomorrow at work. I have never had this problem before.
Yea my setup is screwy but it was all vmware except the picking of the ip addresses for vmnet1 and vmnet8. I probably don't need Host-Only networking though. All I want to do is logon to my main corporate domain from my XP guest. I still can't figure out why my bridged interface doesn't work though. It used to in other versions. How will vmnet8 resolve netbios name of my domains? I added the two WINS servers to the IP configuration earlier and it still wouldn't resolve.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, I give advice where I can.
vmware does some wierd things sometimes, thats why I go through the wizard the first time, and if things don't go right then... well.. heh... time to yank out the editor. (luckily I've never had to do that, everythings been simple and easy for me)
Host-only networking is probably something you don't need, your right. NAT should do you just fine for that. You should be able to log into your corporate domain with just that.
vmnet8 should resolve netbios through the normal resolution, and WINS is only brought into effect when it can't resolve it via the broadcast methods. (at least thats what I've thought. It's been a while since I've studied that section of the MCSE study guide :) I have a feeling it all has to do with the convolution of the interfaces and the internal routing table it sees. Once it's down to one interface, one route entry, it should (repeat: should) go through without a problem.
I used to log into the American Express internal domain via vmware occasionally myself, just like that. (god I hate Lotus Notes)
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had no luck with this. I removed vmnet1 and configured everything. I still cannot connect to my domain. I have tried to add my system to it but it can't be seen. I can ping my wins servers but that is all.
Why is there an interface configured for vmnet0 and why wouldn't it work? Does it normally work like it used to in earlier versions? I can access the internet with no problems through vmnet8.

I had it working a while ago with RedHat 7.1 or 7.2 and VMware 3.0 with no problems. It seems like I am the only one who has had this problem.

I'm lost!!
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm not sure why your having these problems :(
I've used the previous versions, but had issues occasionally.. it wasn't until this version (3.1) that I was able to actually "plug-n-play" the software. Tho I really wish I had a version of win4lin that ran on Gentoo, I liked that MUCH better for the little bit that I do in Windows. (even though it's limited to win9x)

As far as why vmnet0 was there, I think that has something to do with host-only networking. (communication only with the host machine) I may be wrong, but that's my understanding.

I'm out of ideas, bro.. I'm not sure why it's not doing it....
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After messing around and coming up with no answers, I decided to try out another setup. The only difference is that I am not using a desktop at work but my laptop at home. I installed RH 7.3 and VMware 3.1.1 RPM from their website. I configured it for vmnet0 (bridge) and not vmnet1 nor vmnet8. I set it up and configured WinXP with dhcp enabled. I setup my router as a dhcp server. After looking at the network settings in XP, I have one interface for the vmnet0 interface and I checked my settings with ipconfig. Everything works great. This is the way it is supposed to work. The bridged interface working. I am going to delete Gentoo tomorrow at work and try RH 7.3 at work. I am not a big RH fan. If it does work then their is something wrong somewhere. I'll post my results tomorrow.

Tony
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after scrapping Gentoo and installing RH 7.3 and VMware 3.1.1 on my desktop pc at work, the dang thing doesn't work either. I don't know what it could be. Maybe it is dhcp and the hardware address as you had previously said. I don't understand it. Well I will just have to spend the next couple of days compiling Gentoo again and messing with Crossover Office.

Thanks for all you help Arkane,

Tony
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, no problem.

As far as the dhcp/MAC address thing, when I was running vmware back when I worked at American Express they had their dhcp servers setup to work via MAC, also. Instead of using IP addresses from the network (their dhcp) I set it up to use internal IP addressing and NAT'ed everything. (on the same subnet of course, easily done because they used a standard /24 subnet)
Anyway, best of luck... glad to know it's a technical (network) issue, and not a software issue.
Tuxisuau
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is vmware working right in gcc3.2-only systems?
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people using it in a gcc3.2 system, but there was something dealing with an update to glibc that broke it.. I'm not sure if that has been fixed or not. (gcc3.2 + glibc)
eusanpe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After messing around with this vmware, I finally figured out the reason it wasn't working and resolved it.
I needed to add my hostname to the "/etc/hosts" table. With the windows dhcp server we are using at work, my hostname info isn't added to this table, therefore my hostname is "localhost". I took my address from ifconfig -a and added it to my host table with a hostname and the dang thing worked like a champ. I had to do this before I installed my guest os.
Wow!! I'm in business. Hopefully this will help prevent someone else from going through the hell of removing and installing different OS's and trying to figure this out. Thanks again.

Tony
Night_Phoenix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Sound Reply with quote

I just recently installed VMware for Gentoo, running a WinXP guest OS, problem is the sound doesn't work. according to the VMWare people the SB Live! is not supported due to crummy drivers for the sound. does anyone know of a fix for this issue? I'd really love to get my Win XP sound and everything up and running so I can blast away at Diablo II again :evil:

Thanks
Night_Phoenix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Seems fine Reply with quote

Code:
Is vmware working right in gcc3.2-only systems?

Well, VMWare isn't "officially" supported on a gcc-3.x system, but it's working like a charm on mine.

Furthermore, I examined the vmware-config.pl script and found a lame parsing bug which prevents it from warning about using gcc-3.x. Further still, I discovered that the Makefiles for the three kernel modules it builds contain constructs to compile with more sensible options for gcc-3.x but the script is so dumb that it doesn't actually succesfully detect gcc-3.x, meaning it compiles with silly options. I have fixed all of these bugs (meaning that I have succesfully compiled the modules with -march=pentium3) :-) . I've adjusted the related tarballs so that the make processes will read the -march/-mcpu setting from your /etc/make.conf, and updated the deprecated flags which cause a lot of warnings. I'll be posting this on Docs, Tips & Tricks very soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: