View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Gnome 2.1.1 Won't even load...gnome apps now broken Reply with quote

Help!! I can't login to gnome or launch any gnome apps anymore (and that includes gaim and evolution...which are mission critical!) I simply unmasked the new Gnome 2.1.1 and then did an emerge gnome. It compiled perfectly fine, but now about the only thing that works is the splash screen in gnome. When doing text dumps of the messages, it often times complains about fontconfig, pango, and glib. Can somebody please lead me in the right direction as now my gnome is seriously broken!

Karl
synonymousca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge rsync
(unmask non- Gnome-2.1.1 ebuilds that you normally unmask)
emerge -u world

ought to fix the problem by downgrading you.

Without the exact error messages, it's unlikely that anyone can help you get the current stuff working... You never know, though, maybe someone else has actually had that problem and fixed it, so can maybe recognize it from the rough outline.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Fontconfig error: line 17: not well-formed (invalid token)
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

** (gaim:30654): CRITICAL **: file pango-fontset.c: line 84 (pango_fontset_get_font): assertion `fontset != NULL' failed

** (gaim:30654): CRITICAL **: file pango-fontset.c: line 84 (pango_fontset_get_font): assertion `fontset != NULL' failed

(gaim:30654): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1307 (g_object_unref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gaim:30654): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1307 (g_object_unref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (gaim:30654): CRITICAL **: file pango-context.c: line 509 (fallback_engine_shape): assertion `font != NULL' failed

** ERROR **: file shape.c: line 74 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
Aborted

Sure...I can downgrade and get those apps working, but I want gnome 2.1.1 to work. It works for most everyone else, so I'd like to get this fixed.
synonymousca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not missing terribly much by not having gnome-2.1.1, but whatever..

I assume you've tried remerging fontconfig and pango?

In my /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file (which I assume is what the error's about), line 17 is an html-style comment. The file comes from the fontconfig package...
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried re-emerging those...now downgrading to the old gnome to get my apps working again....yuck...old pango won't build...but evolution works now...problems compiling pango against X....weird...removed that line and no more fontconfig error, but now I get the same string of errors after the fontconfig error.

Karl
synonymousca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try remerging gaim after upgrading? There's always a chance your copy is linked against the older pango and doesn't like the newer... Though that didn't happen to me, so far as I remember.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't tried that yet as the problem still remains that I can't get the new gnome system to load at all. Will try re-emerging gaim soon...then I need to identify what else didn't get built against the new pango if that is indeed the problem.

Karl
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I recompiled gaim and I'm still getting the same problem. Surely there is only a set of packages that needs to get compiled in a certain order to fix this problem. I also still can't login to gnome.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....this has happened on two machines now...it looks like gnome 2.1.1 was broken last night....anybody else have similar experiences?
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: I fixed it :) Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=19194&highlight=fonts

had my answer....It was an issue with /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.

I even recompiled X and everything else, and all along it was a config file.

Karl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: