View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: idesk help Reply with quote

so after reading a few posts about idesk i was under the impression that i might be able to use it to add the effect of transparency to my various windows. so i go to the idesk web site to look for specifics. useless. then i try reading more posts here. nothing. so i just said to hell with it and installed it under the assumption that it would have some help files or something. nope.

so i am wondering, how can i find out info about this idesk app? it seems to me to not work unless i use icons, and even then i have many questions. i can post them all here if need be, but i figure it would be easier if someone could point me to some help files or something. any ideas?
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I have no idea what you read. iDesk, as described in its portage entry, draws icons in the root window. Those icons can be made transparent. Nothing more. It has nothing to do with windows. Nothing at all.

Congratulations on calling Ivan's webpage useless, I'm sure he'll be pleased to have failed your quality assessment. Everything, believe it or not, that you need to know about iDesk is in the readme file, which is in the tarball in portage. There's not really that much to say - it's a very simple application.

:roll:

-- Curious
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for setting me straight on what idesk is/does. truely appreciated. just for the sake of argument...

Quote:
Congratulations on calling Ivan's webpage useless, I'm sure he'll be pleased to have failed your quality assessment.

i assume this is a sarcastic "you shouldn't do this" response to my comments. well, quite frankly, it is a horrible web page. look at it from the point of view of not know much about the project and you get absolutely nothing from the web page about it other than how to install and do a quick icon setup.

now what is on the web page is good to have. dont get me wrong. but in all reality, i'm surprised you dont agree to some extent that the web page needs work.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cf25 wrote:
i assume this is a sarcastic "you shouldn't do this" response to my comments. well, quite frankly, it is a horrible web page. look at it from the point of view of not know much about the project and you get absolutely nothing from the web page about it other than how to install and do a quick icon setup.

Let me put you straight on a few things. Ivans page is not in any way an 'official' webpage. iDesk was written by Nikon, who also hosted the official webpage - about the time 0.3 was released, his computer was destroyed in a power spike, leaving iDesk without a home or mirror.

Some people that had pre-existing tarballs lying around put them up on their webpage to let people go on with using and testing ( it is pre-1.0 still ) the software. Ivan generously offered space and bandwidth, so now people generally send patches to Ivan for incorporation - he's become the defacto maintainer until Nikon gets a new machine.

Alright, so, the core developer is AWOL. A random user has kindly put up some webspace with a screenshot, a place to download the files from, and a five second snippet of documentation. The project is majorly disrupted by Nikons absence. I think you should be greatful for whats there.

Perhaps when iDesk 1.0 is released, there will be a big webpage with a stupid flash logo, and a long and self congratulatory FAQ, and a document explaining "What is an Icon?" for rank beginners. But for now, we're just trying to hold the fort until Nikon gets a new machine - none of us are 'project members' so to speak. So please cut us a little slack.

-- Curious
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to calm yourself.

if you honestly expect everyone who ever hears of "idesk" to know its history you are off your damn rocker. i'm oh so pleased that you happen to know all of this, but you are an ass.

secondly, given the "history" you so kindly presented, i understand the situation. i do NOT go back on my original comments that the web page is lacking. it is. if it offends you, perhaps you should do something about it.

lastly, there is a difference between criticizing someone's work and just being critical. i would hope that is someone criticized my work, i would take it with a grain of salt and realize that there are shortcomings or that the critisism is just off target. in either case, i would hope that i wouldnt have to blow up on the person with some obscure history in an effort to make myself feel good.

oh, my respect goes out to ivan for hosting the whole deal. unless it is you. then i dont.
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze guys its ok. Lets use the built up energy to improve idesk instead of yelling about it. Take out that anger on your keyboard in vi. :) Sorry to be so corny, but can't we all just get along?
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another iDesk user - thanks to Curious threads here :wink: - I feel I have to add my support to these guys. Ivan's *unofficial* mirror is not the latest and greatest in web design but IMHO is up to the job: it clearly states what iDesk is and how to set it up rapidly on your desktop. iDesk is just another utility for "independent" desktops (non-kde, non-gnome), so I wouldn't expect anything more from its site than a link to download, a short description and some contact info - even the official one.
cf25: criticism can only be welcomed when not only is intended but also appears to be in bona fide and comes along with at least generic suggestions. Are you holding responsible the authors of a program responsible for your misunderstanding of its use? Calling people "asses" because they defend their work in front of someone who obviously and self-admitedly has no clue of what that work is about is neither polite nor constructive.
So, to be constructive:
X currently does *not* support real transparency. The "trick" many apps use is to "paint" their background with a grab of the underlying X root window. This means that such a "pseudo-transparent" window when on top of another one will present the desktop bacground and not the underlying window (which makes the trick pretty much useless). Another trick would be that of grabing an actual "screenshot" of what is behind your app but given that your window can change position as well as everything underlying it, this would require a frequent "refresh" method that turns out to be very laborious and resource consuming.
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad you decided to come to the rescue here because you obviously were involved. critisism in the form of the site lacks content vs we had problems to back off is the type i was referring to. when i made note of him being an ass in his reply, thats because he was.

like it or not, newbies are interested in all sorts of software, and when we dont understand whats going on we voice our opinions. just because you dont feel you should have to mold your site to us inexperienced folk, doesn't give you the right to be the big brother pain in the butt. regardless of how much you've done for the project.

if i decide to say, "i think the website for gcc is horrible," the last thing i would expect would be for one of the key gcc guys to post back with a go to hell newbie. we dont want your kind.

so IMHO, the web site is only half done and curious was a jerk.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cf25 wrote:
if it offends you, perhaps you should do something about it.

What a good idea! I look forward to seeing your drafts of the new web page on monday.

-- Curious
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, that explains your new sig, curious. saw that earlier and had no clue. all is clear! hehe... funny stuff.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally find criticizing volunteers counterproductive. Very rarely do I participate in a conversation where party A calling party B an ass improves the quality of the discussion. A lot of times it's hard for developers to write documentation that makes sense to people who have no idea about what a project is about. Maybe whoever this Ivan is does not have the time, skills or motivation to write web pages in such a way that cf25 would find useful. Criticism is considerably more useful if it is presented in the form of concrete suggestions for improvement that do not increase workload for other people.

And one of Nitro's forum guidelines is "no personal attacks". So just because Curious is wearing jeans that have apparently ripped even further to the point where you can see his ass, please don't assume that that's the entirety of his existence.
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see that you also have problems comprehending text. as i am not offended by said web page, i see no reason for me to come up with a solution for a product that i clearly am foreign to. but i will help. I propose this suggestion under the idea of constructive criticism.

www.webpagesthatsuck.com

go there and learn. as i have proposed this website, that already takes me a step further than anything constructive that you have proposed to date. unless you have some more history lesson in store. oh how i do hope.

to rac:
Quote:
Criticism is considerably more useful if it is presented in the form of concrete suggestions for improvement that do not increase workload for other people.

yes. your product needs x feature changed. but dont do it. as that would increase your workload. i'll just wish real hard.

here is your concrete suggestion. put a project description on the web site. that would have avoided the first post to begin with and thus eliminated curious' need to be so nice and endorse the product so well.

to KiTaSuMbA:
i thank your for your info on transparencies. appreciated. but even you mention that you would expect a short description on the site. i'll admit that after curious' post, i turned bitter. but the first post was merely pointing out that the website did nothing for the project. and it doesnt! i did not insult the project once.

quite frankly, i have nothing against idesk. except for the fact that a certain someone cares a bit too much about what i think of a web page.
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my 2 cents

i installed idesk with my fluxbox .... works great.... webpage thought it was lacking however i have been to many projects pages that seem to be lacking and just from reading changlogs i can see why. developers leave things happen and generally people spend more time working on the actual code than documentation or how it is displayed to the world. any way i have found it helpful not to make negative comments about things. instead of saying the web page is lacking suggest a specific improvement and developers tend to respond much better .
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious is the man/woman!! we would have crapy idesk without him/her (sorry dont know your gender).

and the idesk site was just fine for me, i got the package and installed it and it worked. :)
bobafettm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*clears throat*
What's up
If you from Flint
Get out ya seat
Get up off your ass
Drink your brew and smoke that grass
We fixin to rock from Pontiac to Larrison back to Saganaw to Detroit
And take over in every club
Bootleg Shoetstring and the muthafuckin Backstabba
Ehh we gonna do it like this
I'm sayin what's up to the muthafuckin flintstone thugs
Just drink your brew and smoke that bud
Three off muthafucka's from around the way
If you not from Flint than you get no play
Where the fuck are you from ffffff Flint town
Where the fuck are they from ffffff Flint town

Thats where I'm from you n00bz ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[img:7273a44023]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000003BZV.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img:7273a44023]
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow i didnt think any one else listend to dayton family

d a y t o n e family real with this real with this
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: