xorg? What the..?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsunenokenja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: xorg? What the..? Reply with quote

I feel like I've been left out in the cold on this topic. I heard about the XFree86 4.4 license issue, conflicting with the GPL or the like. Okay, that wasn't related to xorg, at least it wasn't when I first read about it. So what is this xorg? I still use xfree.. I can't even remember how long it's been since I had emerged xfree. From what I understand, there probably won't be new ebuilds for xfree because of the new license.. but what can replace X? Most apps that implement a GUI are written for X... So I want to know what I need to know about xorg. I have a guess on what it is though. I think I read somewhere it "picks up where xfree left off" in a way such that it still is what xfree is/was and continues to evolve. If that is true (I think of it as a fork of xfree), then it should be a perfect replacement because it isn't a replacement really. And it'll be occasionally updated. I like X, but it isn't the finest program around.. hopefully someone can explain xorg and perhaps point me to a document with answers! Also, thanks to the development teams that write xfree, xorg, and whatever other graphical servers there are. 8)
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the upper right hand corner of the page. See that little box that says "Quick Search:" before it? That's not just a decoration :P

Edit: (Just so you don't think I'm a complete asshole)
xorg is just a fork of xfree86. So, anything that works with xfree works with xorg ;)
kitsunenokenja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you mentioned the Quick Searched. I had used it before posting!! The results I got were related to problems with it; you know, the usual stuff. I didn't weed through the support threads for an info thread since I didn't think of a good query to find something like that, so I figured I'd make my own thread here. By the way, I instinctively use the search if the IRC channel fails to assist me (or is not an appropriate means for a solution.) Besides, I figured there'd be others who don't know what xorg is all about so this thread ought to be useful.. but don't slam "there's already such a thread" at me.. Bah!
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already several threads on the subject. *SLAM* (j/k)

There's also google.

But it's cool man, many here have posted dupes before. And sometimes the search really does suck. One thing I try if I don't find what I'm looking for is using google and adding
Code:
site:forums.gentoo.org
to the search. It doesn't return any recent results, but it can be really useful sometimes. (However, in this case it doesn't really return anything useful for the term xorg)
kitsunenokenja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google's site: feature is evil; it's effective most of the time! You just admitted that it returned nothing useful. Ha! See what I mean... usually I can find extremely relevant info on the forums. I think yesterday I found something.. forgot what though, but I remember it was exactly what I wanted to find out! Go forums! :D
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please search before posting:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=163485
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=173916
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=157477
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: