View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to troll here, but because the newer ruby18 ports cause segfaults on my FreeBSD box (when linking), portupgrade no longer works.

I don't see any easy way to fall back to the old version of ruby18.

:roll:

BTW:

Code:
cc -shared -Wl,-soname,libruby18.so.18  array.o  bignum.o  class.o  compar.o  dir.o  dln.o  enum.o  error.o  eval.o  file.o  gc.o  hash.o  inits.o  io.o  marshal.o  math.o  numeric.o  object.o  pack.o  parse.o  process.o  prec.o  random.o  range.o  re.o  regex.o  ruby.o  signal.o  sprintf.o  st.o  string.o  struct.o  time.o  util.o  variable.o  version.o   dmyext.o -lcrypt -lm   -o libruby18.so.18
/usr/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.1/lib/mkmf.rb:368: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-freebsd5]

EDIT: Maybe it is because I only have 64mb of RAM. 8O

EDIT2: Disabling optimizations fixed it. I like how gentoo does this automatically when the developers find problems like this.
downed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dma wrote:
Not trying to troll here, but because the newer ruby18 ports cause segfaults on my FreeBSD box (when linking), portupgrade no longer works.

I don't see any easy way to fall back to the old version of ruby18.

:roll:

BTW:

Code:
cc -shared -Wl,-soname,libruby18.so.18  array.o  bignum.o  class.o  compar.o  dir.o  dln.o  enum.o  error.o  eval.o  file.o  gc.o  hash.o  inits.o  io.o  marshal.o  math.o  numeric.o  object.o  pack.o  parse.o  process.o  prec.o  random.o  range.o  re.o  regex.o  ruby.o  signal.o  sprintf.o  st.o  string.o  struct.o  time.o  util.o  variable.o  version.o   dmyext.o -lcrypt -lm   -o libruby18.so.18
/usr/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.1/lib/mkmf.rb:368: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-freebsd5]

EDIT: Maybe it is because I only have 64mb of RAM. 8O

EDIT2: Disabling optimizations fixed it. I like how gentoo does this automatically when the developers find problems like this.

you can use cvsup to the older version of the port
mezz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:
docGonzo2000 wrote:
...I can't mount the cdrom as a regular user...

Same case here, and the "sudo" command also didn't work.

It's in the FAQ, go to FreeBSD website and find it. Here I can mount anything on my regular user and even double click on Gnome's CD icon.
mezz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dma wrote:

Did you read in the /usr/ports/UPDATING and /usr/ports/CHANGES?
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mezz wrote:
pandaxiongmao wrote:
docGonzo2000 wrote:
...I can't mount the cdrom as a regular user...

Same case here, and the "sudo" command also didn't work.

It's in the FAQ, go to FreeBSD website and find it. Here I can mount anything on my regular user and even double click on Gnome's CD icon.

Thanks for pointing the FreeBSD FAQ, I did fix my problem by adding myself into "wheel" group, well, it takes time to get accustomed to FreeBSD, including configuring the kernel (I haven't succeeded yet).

I am wondering why FreeBSD forums (freebsdforums.org) isn't as "crowded" as Gentoo forum. I would be happy if they could respond my FreeBSD problem quickly, because I found it unsuitable to discuss about FreeBSD related stuff here (Gentoo forum), yet I got faster reply here (nice community).
Dr Gonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:
I am wondering why FreeBSD forums (freebsdforums.org) isn't as "crowded" as Gentoo forum. I would be happy if they could respond my FreeBSD problem quickly, because I found it unsuitable to discuss about FreeBSD related stuff here (Gentoo forum), yet I got faster reply here (nice community).

I totally agree. I've had some major problems with my BSD install, and most of the help I got was just telling me what to do, not how to do it. I now have my BSD box up and running, but I'm a little afraid to upgrade the BSD server box, because last time I did it, I had all kinds of broken dependencies. I have done a good bit of reading as well, and following the instructions, I still f***ed it up.

No offense to Mezz (who is one of the FreeBSDForums moderators, if I'm not mistaken..) but the user community over there seems pretty slim. I guess there just aren't that many people with a hankerin' to try one of the oldest Unix forks around. I personally like having it on my server. As a Linux user, I have to have some reverence for what came before thanks to Ma' Bell. However, if people over there would just include a piece of shell code with most of their responses, it'd be so much more helpful.

Oh, and I can mount the CDROM as a regular user no problem now, thanks to the FAQ.

George W. Bush
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to wake this thread from the dead and all, but I just had an 'emerge -u world' upgrade qt without upgrading anything else, and found myself wishing for portupgrade, so I could just rebuild the packages depending on qt and get on with it. :roll:
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seen this post before. but i actually moved from freebsd over to gentoo. main reasons i switched over was because of portage and linux's fast desktop development.
swat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD is cool. I've been running it on my gateway for years, since even before I attempted any kind of "desktop" linux/BSD system.

I doubt I will be using FreeBSD on the desktop anytime soon - mainly for the reasons pointed out above, that hardware support, and desktop development (project utopia for example) seem to be just that bit better. Also, the great work by the guys at breakmygentoo.net that lets me run evolution-1.5 and the like!

Simon
Duty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if Gentoo/BSD is still being worked on? It sounds like a good portion of FreeBSD's professed advantages are part of its kernel and libc, so it would have the best of both worlds.
Hydralisk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duty wrote:
Anyone know if Gentoo/BSD is still being worked on? It sounds like a good portion of FreeBSD's professed advantages are part of its kernel and libc, so it would have the best of both worlds.

Personally, Gentoo/BSD is the exact opposite of what I want. I'd really like a FreeBSD ports system on top of a Linux kernel. Yes, Portage comes close, but it is not the real thing. Until Portage has the equivalent of FreeBSD's pkg_delete -r, I cannot consider as machur as ports.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duty wrote:
Anyone know if Gentoo/BSD is still being worked on?

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/obsd/index.xml was last updated on the 31st of January. More info on the status of this port to OpenBSD is available at http://dev.gentoo.org/~g2boojum/bsd.html together with info on the FreeBSD port. So yep, it would seem Gentoo/BSD is still alive. :-)
Quote:
It sounds like a good portion of FreeBSD's professed advantages are part of its kernel and libc, so it would have the best of both worlds.

It looks like these ports will be using the native BSD userland tools, as well. Pity. :-(

Were the Gentoo base system to be ported whole-cloth (as much as possible, anyway) users would be able to transparently swap out the Linux kernel/glibc combo for e.g. FreeBSD's kernel and libc whilst having the rest of the system function exactly as it did before. By contrast, the present approach would require acquainting oneself with a whole new set of userland tools in order to make the transition.
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Seeing as this post has been resurrected already,) could someone tell me why FreeBSD is so popular for servers, when OpenBSD is the one that's security focused?
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deebster wrote:
(Seeing as this post has been resurrected already,) could someone tell me why FreeBSD is so popular for servers, when OpenBSD is the one that's security focused?

I can think of a couple of possibilities:

1) Performance is not OpenBSD's strong point. It doesn't even support SMP yet.
2) The OpenBSD developers are by all accounts extremely able coders, but complete arseholes. See for example http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/debian-security-announce-2002/msg00045.html (and the updates that follow in the thread) for an excellent case in point.
Nefarius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is the freedom of choice. This includes the freedom to choose another OS. Don't try to force anyone to anything. Gentoo works great. BSD works great. So why can't both be allowed to live in peaceful coexistence?
We're not the Borg trying to assimilate every computer user to adapt and service us.
At least I hope so.
Ehhh... what are those red laser pointer type lights crawling closer to me with metallic sounds?
WHAT? Biological and technological distinctivenesses?
I already use Gentoo, so go and assimilate someone else ;))
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefarius wrote:
Don't try to force anyone to anything.

Which post are you replying to? For the last page of this topic at least, I can see only civil discussion.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run into many freeBSD fanboys who like to throw their opinions around like fact. They're probably the most retarded people that can use the internet without major instruction, and they definitely need to learn that Linux is still much better for desktops than *BSD. I might try freeBSD when I get a new HDD, but that's about the only way.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
I've run into many freeBSD fanboys who like to throw their opinions around like fact.

This is hilarious, given that you go on to do the exact same thing yourself in the very next sentence:
Quote:
they definitely need to learn that Linux is still much better for desktops than *BSD.

Besides, what's your point? Are you really so deluded as to think that Gentoo is fanboy-free?

I've come across many people promoting Gentoo on completely baseless grounds, claiming that e.g. Gentoo supports more platforms than any other Linux distribution, that it's 20X faster system-wide than Debian due to compile-time optimizations, and other such nonsense. Clueless proselytizers abound, and they're certainly not FreeBSD-specific.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use whatever OS fits you best, obviously a hardcore gamer wouldn't choose linux or bsd as a desktop. I've used FreeBSD for many years and was quite pleased with it. After discovering Gentoo though I switched over, theres nothing wrong with FreeBSD its a great OS and has its advantages over linux just as linux has its advantages over BSD. I chose gentoo simply because I find linux development to be faster(which is not always good) but I like to stay on the bleeding edge which gentoo accomplishes quite well....also gotta love the Gentoo forums :lol:
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD is not the only one BSD complete UNIX-like system.

there are also OpenBSD, and NetBSD ;)
these BSDs are solid as a rock, Linux may not be able to compete with their pureness of codes, but just 1 draw back is the hardware supports.
8O
Aurisor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

A lot of people here have touched on the technical merits, but what about the licensing? I think the GPL is the best way to ensure that free software stays free, something the BSD license will never provide.

That right there is reason enough for me to use Linux.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found that freebsd5.1 seemed to run very slow as a desktop, and sound was terrible -- always on the verge of skipping. i'm trying gentoo out and it is faster as a desktop, but sound won't come up and no one will help me...

not sure what to do once 5 stable come out.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
I've run into many freeBSD fanboys who like to throw their opinions around like fact. They're probably the most retarded people that can use the internet without major instruction, and they definitely need to learn that Linux is still much better for desktops than *BSD. I might try freeBSD when I get a new HDD, but that's about the only way.

We need a BSD-Zealot-Translator-O-Matic:

"Linux is utter shite."

Translation: I tried SLS years ago, which makes me an expert on Linux, and it's crap compared to FreeBSD 5.

"Linux is many distributions, and FreeBSD is one system."

Translation: Look, if I point out that there's a BSD codebase, a FreeBSD codebase, a NetBSD codebase, an OpenBSD codebase, etc., my argument falls apart, but you have to admit that there's only one FreeBSD.

"My BSD is rock-stable. I tried Fedora Core a while back and it was utter crap."

Look, Maw, when you compare the stable release of a server-oriented OS to a development-quality Linux distribution, the BSD system comes out ahead in the stability department! Amazing.

I also love how systems like, say, FreeBSD are rock-solid unless of course there are issues that developers have with certain hardware configurations. Remember, if the developers have an issue with your harddrive controller, it's not their fault that your FFS filesystems are corrupt; it's your fault for buying hardware they don't like!

"BSD is ready for the desktop."

Sure, you might have to learn to grep through the LINT file to write your own kernel config file, and the format of that file might change from minor point release to point release, and rebuilding your system just so you can build support for your hardware into the kernel will take hours, let alone the time you'll spend scratching your head trying to figure out why that foolproof Ports installation process bombs out with an error, not to mention that on a system like, say, FreeBSD your multimedia performance will suck major ass; once you overlook all that crap, it's desktop-ready!

"BSD makes me soooooo much more productive."

Yeah, I've managed to turn in a number of bugs to official developers; I'm getting good at that! Oh, and I got the dishes, laundry, and kids cleaned, and mowed the grass in the time it took to make buildworld! I'm so productive now!!

Okay, I'm sure someone else can figure out how else to be an ass on this thread. :D I must admit I can also be a BSD zealot at times, but after reading that Gentoo-Zealot-Translator-O-Matic a while back, I've been meaning to geta jab in. :lol:
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: WeIll Reply with quote

ishan wrote:
A lot of people here have touched on the technical merits, but what about the licensing? I think the GPL is the best way to ensure that free software stays free, something the BSD license will never provide.

That right there is reason enough for me to use Linux.

The BSD license isnt bad. There is no way that you can take ownership of a modified program,initially released under BSD license. As for redistributing it the only diffence with GPL is that you can distribute 'binaries only'. BSD license --> 1 page, GPL --> uh :roll:
Actually I prefer the BSD license as it gives you the more options. which makes my freedom even greater :)
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
Pwnz3r wrote:
I've run into many freeBSD fanboys who like to throw their opinions around like fact.

This is hilarious, given that you go on to do the exact same thing yourself in the very next sentence:
Quote:
they definitely need to learn that Linux is still much better for desktops than *BSD.

Besides, what's your point? Are you really so deluded as to think that Gentoo is fanboy-free?

I've come across many people promoting Gentoo on completely baseless grounds, claiming that e.g. Gentoo supports more platforms than any other Linux distribution, that it's 20X faster system-wide than Debian due to compile-time optimizations, and other such nonsense. Clueless proselytizers abound, and they're certainly not FreeBSD-specific.

Sorry, I was in VB at the time I posted that and was running out of time. I meant to add there that it's better for desktops to most people and that not everyone is going to want to try using freeBSD after using Linux for a long while.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: