Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
My experience with the debian community.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jounihat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
and to be honest, i'm slowly getting sick of this forums. for some time i liked to answer questions but i find that people are thinking they do not RTFM because of this fabulous community. just state a question that has been answered a few billion times. if you pick on the guy who stated it, because he should RTFM or try a search, you will be flamed to death.

Well, you can always post a link to the RTF manual or some threads. That's what I do. It's polite, doesn't take too much time, and if you're lucky, the n00b will learn the power of search that way.

-There's really only one reasonable OS, and that's Open Source!
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because of bad experience on an irc channel doesn't mean their whole community sucks, now does it? I don't like irc myself, I like forums because they're searchable and scale better when it comes to supporting a lot of concurrent users.

I'm too dumb to use debian myself, tried it a long time ago and couldn't make sense of the installer. I also hate how unfriendly apt is, the output isn't all that helpful and I miss the green text in the console. :D
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who uses both Debian (for around 3 or 4 years) and Gentoo (for over a year now) I must say I think the perception documented in some threads that the Debian community hates Gentoo users is completely wrong. To try and prove this I did a quick search of the mailing list archives over on debian.org and pulled some prize quotes:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/04/msg02700.html wrote:

> I've being using Gentoo lately, and I love how nice the newer software
Gentoo sounds pretty cool too, but then so does Crux. Me, I like Debian.

All other responces in that thread didn't even mention Gentoo (so much for flames the moment a rival distribution is mentioned).

In another thread somebody asks
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/04/msg02973.html wrote:

Hi,
I have Windows XP and Debian running on my machine, with Lilo as boot
loader.
Planning to add FreeBSD and Gentoo.

All responces are helpful.

Even the famous "Are we losing users to Gentoo?" thread that was held up as an example of the intolerance of Debian developers isn't that bad.

I am sure that there probably have been people bashing Gentoo on the mailing lists at some point, just as there have been people bashing Debian and RedHat in here but they are the exception not the rule.

IRC can be more hostile than mailing lists but that is in the nature of a real time discussion where people asking questions that could be easily answered by a quick look at the man pages or a search often push the questions of those who have made an effort themselves off the top of the screen.
All in all if users who are new to IRC read the FAQ for #debian on freenode (and/or freenode's own FAQ) before asking for help there I'm sure they would have their problems solved in no time. Remember these people are giving up their free time to help you, all that is asked in return is that you help yourself - that sounds reasonanble enough to me. :D
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numerodix wrote:
Just because of bad experience on an irc channel doesn't mean their whole community sucks, now does it?

Moreover, it doesn't even mean that the irc channel itself sucks. From what I've seen, the overwhelming majority of visitors have no problems getting support. Let's keep a sense of proportion, here.

lomi wrote:
I have to say this whole ordeal has left a rather large mark on me

Yes. No doubt the emotional scars will take years to completely heal, but I dare say you'll struggle through somehow. :roll:

tdennist wrote:
I was one of the top 5 active posters on www.debianhelp.org

Good for you, but that's not an official Debian support channel.
lomi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you are putting words in my mouth, I never said I wouldn't get over it, what I meant by mark is I am unlikely to ever return to their irc channel, at least until I am sure it is being properly moderated. I also only said that it was the irc channel, I never even mentioned the forums.
Xerroz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i used Debian for 2 years before settling with gentoo, my experience was ok, but i can cofirm the flaming they give you for certin things (distros, questions, things like that)

if you use debian heres a warning (atleast if you enter the debian channel): dont come in as root, you never hear the end of it, which was very annoying.

other than that, it seems liek they treat you with respect, but i have seen people switch from respect to insults with one questions so :\
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xerroz wrote:
if you use debian heres a warning (atleast if you enter the debian channel): dont come in as root, you never hear the end of it, which was very annoying.

A better warning would be don't run an IRC client as root, ever.

By the way I have seen a few people come into #gentoo as root and they were (rightly) advised against it too.
Jesore
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Gentoo machines at home and work but all servers at work are debian. Whenever I encounter a problem on the servers I can't solve on my own I first post here, before even thinking about debian forums/mailing lists/irc. None of my questions ever were debian specific though, mostly things like "how to configure this and that", which is software specific.

These forums have never let me down, yet.

Jesore
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: