gentoo and vmware 2.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosje
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: gentoo and vmware 2.0 Reply with quote

Hi,
I would like to install vmware 2.0 on my gentoo 1.4 box. Has anyone done that before? I can get the modules compiled, but still it does'nt work.
Mike
:oops:
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VMWare 2.0 modules were probably never intended to be compiled by GCC 3.2, that's probably the problem. Sorry, but I don't have a solution for you besides upgrading... or searching the net for a GCC 3.2 patch to the VMWare 2.0 modules...

The WMware 3.1 modules give me plenty of warnings related to the compiler being GCC 3.2, but it all works well. Haven't tried 3.2, but as of 3.1 there are still minor glitches with GCC 3.2... (although I've had no problems with the modules after compiling)
scott8711
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: VMware modules Reply with quote

Where can I get the VMWare modules?

Scott
bosje
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is that running vmware-config.pl installs everything (I just need vmware to run, no samba / networking). After compiling the modules it even says that they perfectly fit into the kernel. However, when I run
Code:
rc-config add vmware default
and try to start vmware, it complains about not being configured correctly. So It does not seem to be the compiler. Any suggestion?

dreamer3 wrote:
The VMWare 2.0 modules were probably never intended to be compiled by GCC 3.2, that's probably the problem. Sorry, but I don't have a solution for you besides upgrading... or searching the net for a GCC 3.2 patch to the VMWare 2.0 modules...

The WMware 3.1 modules give me plenty of warnings related to the compiler being GCC 3.2, but it all works well. Haven't tried 3.2, but as of 3.1 there are still minor glitches with GCC 3.2... (although I've had no problems with the modules after compiling)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: