Gnome not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Gnome not working Reply with quote

i'm sorry if this has been answered before, but i couldn't find anything that helped me.

i recently installed Gentoo (1.4), and got everything working (which still amazes me). by everything working, i mean it booted up with out any errors ;). for the past week ro so, in my spare timem which has been little, i've been trying to get KDE or Gnome to work. i got XFree86 to work, but whenever i emerged KDE i'd get the errors that everyone had, so i figured i'd try gnome. i just emerged gnome, and i'm now trying to figure out hopw t ostart it. the "gnome-session" command gives me an error.

Code:
(gnome-terminal:28193): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

i tried getting blackbox, and it gave me a similar errorabout Xfree86 not working, but it does work when i type in startc (i get the ugly display).

if i t helps i have a radeon 8500 (128 MB vidRAM).
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, after taking a break and eating some lunch, i played around some, and got it to at least load Gnome instead of twm. now, i believe i just have the same errors as everyone else is getting. just to double check though, i changed the "twm" to "gnome-session" in xinitc. i'm hoping that's right, because it works, and i have no other ideas. can someone just confirm that for me? thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: