View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajendra82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: java works in konqueror but not in mozilla Reply with quote

I have emerged both blackdown-jdk and blackdown-jre. In konqueror, I've enabled java globally and the java executable name says "java". The emerge of blackdown-jdk created the necessary symlink in the mozilla/plugins directory for the java plugin oji. When I go to any page with java, e.g. http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java, the applet comes up in konqueror but not in mozilla. In mozilla, all I get is a prompt to install the java plugin. Clicking this prompt ges through the installation, but the applet does not come up. I've tries clicking on the prompt to install plugin as both root annd as a normal user with installation previlages, without any improvement. Can someone help me see what is wrong. This java problem is preventing me from completely switching over to mozilla.
chrisjs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: java works in konqueror but not in mozilla Reply with quote

Do other plugins work in mozilla? Moz built against GTK2 has plugin problems. No solution for that yet other than just building against GTK 1.2
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, mozilla in general has serious plugin problems.

Pain in the butt if you ask me, shouldn't be that hard for mozilla to download a few plugins (flash, notably) when it encounters them, and then just use them, instead of a lot of manual installations and non-working plugin finders.

RIght now when I encounter something that is not supported (which is everything outside of html and web image files) I get "You need to download plugin finder", which will apparently in the future find plugins for me. Of course they say "find it at netscape.com" which is terrible to navigate. Kind of like the chicken and the egg thing; my plugin finder needs to find the finder for me, so I can find and install plugins. I'm assuming this didn't come default in the beta builds.

Hope issues like this are resolved in the next stable mozilla.
rajendra82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not noticed a lot of plugin problems. Flash works for me and so does realaudio. I don't visit many sites that use any other. If I need to, how do I build mozilla against GTK 1.2?
ascompltd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Java and Mozilla Reply with quote

This is a common problem I am assuming you are using 1.4cr1 and hence gcc 3.2. There are a number of posts on this subject 9in the programming and Portage forum.

Basically you have two choices.

1. Install a binary of mozilla rather than a self compile then a downloaded JVm will work along with flash etc

or

2. Download the source for JDK from Sun (link is on the posts in portage forum) and then compile JDK and then Mozilla.

:wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: