suggestion: "Jump-To" box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: suggestion: "Jump-To" box Reply with quote

I think it'd enhance usability if you added a "jump-to" box near the "NEXT" link at the bottom of each forum page. That way, if you want to go to a specific page for some reason, you can just enter the page number of that particular thread in the box and click "Go."

Does anybody agree???
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there links at the top of each page that would do the same thing? In any case, I'll make the standard response: if someone can provide a minimally intrusive patch against a stock phpBB implementation, there is a better chance that the admins (Nitro and klieber) will consider an idea.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion: "Jump-To" box Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
I think it'd enhance usability if you added a "jump-to" box near the "NEXT" link at the bottom of each forum page. That way, if you want to go to a specific page for some reason, you can just enter the page number of that particular thread in the box and click "Go."

There's already a jump to box that allows you to jump to other forums. If I'm reading your message correctly, you're talking about jumping to a specific page within one thread, correct?

If so, phpBB already allows you to jump a few pages ahead/behind, as well as to jump to the first/last page of a thread. The only point where this doesn't give you total control over what page you jump to is when you have a thread that is 5+ pages long. We don't have that many threads that fall into that category.

--kurt
Jester
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, threads that are longer than 5 pages....if I wanna go to page 73 out of 145, I can't do it very quickly.

It's not a big deal, though...just a suggestion. Overall, these are the COOLEST forums I can think of for any purpose...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was referring to, threads that are longer than 5 pages....if I wanna go to page 73 out of 145, I can't do it very quickly.

Actually, I'm not sure how long threads have to be -- the 8-page Phoenix thread still allows you to jump to any page.

Anyway, here's a hack that will help a bit. Looking at phpBB's URL string for the Phoenix thread I linked to above, we see:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=16368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If you notice the "start" variable at the end of the URL -- that's the one you want to fiddle with. Change it to 175 and you'll go to the 8th page of that thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=16368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=175

So, adjusting that number manually will let you at least get similar functionality to what you're looking for.

Jester wrote:
Overall, these are the COOLEST forums I can think of for any purpose...

Thanks for the feedback.

--kurt
Jester
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Thanks for the tip! I don't know why I didn't think of that...it makes perfect sense! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: