Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sneakerski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d
how can i load my already created RAID partition? the drivers arel loaded for my controller and i can read individual partitions, but not the RAID array itself. i modprobed md too. however, it still won't let me mount /dev/md0. do i need to do something else before hand? /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2 make up /dev/md0, or atleast they should - but i can't get it to mount. any hints?
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: K6-2? Reply with quote

I've been trying in vain to install from the Reiser4-enabled boot disk for a week now.

I keep on getting errors untarring things:

Code:
>>> emerge (1 of 13) sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.5 to /
>>> Downloading http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/distfiles/linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2
--11:37:27--  http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/distfiles/linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2'
Resolving gentoo.oregonstate.edu... 128.193.0.3
Connecting to gentoo.oregonstate.edu[128.193.0.3]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 34,684,611 [application/x-tar]

100%[==========================================================================================================================>] 34,684,611   

11:48:28 (51.39 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2' saved [34684611/34684611]

>>> md5 src_uri ;-) linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/linux-headers-2.6.5/work
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
        Input file = /usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2, output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

!!! ERROR: sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.5 failed.
!!! Function unpack, Line 339, Exitcode 2
!!! failure unpacking linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2

This PC is an AMD K6-2 500. I'm almost certain the CPU & memory are OK; until quite recently, this box was a 24 / 7 mail & database server at my work, and I have never had problems with it.

I've tried swapping the network card. Still no luck. I'm also almost certain that there is no problem with the network cable - it had previously been handling a 100Mbit connection fine, and this is only a 10MBit connection.

What's going on. Are things on the boot CD compiled for an i686, or should it all work on a K6-2 ( which is am i586 class, I think )?

Thanks!

Dan
dvang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakerski wrote:
d
how can i load my already created RAID partition? the drivers arel loaded for my controller and i can read individual partitions, but not the RAID array itself. i modprobed md too. however, it still won't let me mount /dev/md0. do i need to do something else before hand? /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2 make up /dev/md0, or atleast they should - but i can't get it to mount. any hints?

If you are using Redeeman's LiveCD, then your raid partitions are not automatically set up at boot up. The LiveCD also does not seem to contain any of the tools that will help to enable your raid partitions either. However, you could do it the way that I did it, which is to mount the 2004.1 universal LiveCD after having booted up using Redeeman's (so that we can use the utilities on the universal liveCD).

You will also need to rewrite your /etc/raidtab file as it was before, so that you don't corrupt any of the raid partitions when you start them. If it is possible, you could copy them over from someplace (such as a backup) and put it into the /etc directory (of the booted environment from the Redeeman Reiser4 LiveCD).

Once you have that created, then it's just a matter of running the raid utilities to start your raid array.

Code:
/mnt/livecd/zisofs/sbin/raidstart /dev/md0
mount /dev/md0 yourmountpoint

replacing /dev/md0 with your raid device, and yourmountpoint with the mount point. You will also need to replace the path to raidstart as well if you mounted the liveCD to some other place other than /mnt/livecd.

I hope this helps :)
CaribbeanKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm seeing the same kind of corruption errors vandan is getting (also during unpack).... and if i try the same emerge command again, everything goes fine...
seems to mee that r4 still needs a bit of testing before being declared stable... :)
Linux User #353893
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe the amd is a i686, and even though its only a 586, it should still work, as my livecd was compiled with mcpu, which optimizes as much as it can, but still makes it compatible with other archs
sneakerski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i've gotten the RAID array mounted. now when i try and mount my reiser4 partition it always seg faults on me. then the livecd freezes (that vt) whenever i try it again. i used 2.6.6-love4 and reiser4progs 0.5.4 to create the partition, could that be why? i accomplished what i needed, but i'm curious as to why this is happening regardless
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik. the new stuff that steel pulled out of bitkeeper, is compatible with namesys's old snapshot.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another note on the network issues. There's a good possibility it's the kernel network card drivers. I've tried 2 different ne2k-pci cards in 2 different computers, and have had nothing but trouble. However my onboard nforce card works fine.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new question --
the new speedy and love kernels ask for large something support (not sure what it was again, no working linux system...)

in anycase the discription says its a performance enhancement and toggeling it will break the file system.

so i need to know if i used this reiser4 live cd, and did mkfs.resier4, what should i set this option to? becasue as it is now, it's a 50/50 guess at which one doesn't break my filesystem!
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used standard options on livecd, which is without large keys, and i dont think large keys is a good idea either.
seal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: LiveCD-Gentoo-Reiser4.iso Reply with quote

Is the GigaRAID driver included in this image? (LiveCD-Gentoo-Reiser4.iso)

Thanks, Adam

Sorry for lame questions but I'm Gentoo newbie :wink:
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt add it myself, so unless it pretty much is in the kernel by default. no
seal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: GigaRAID Reply with quote

Can you add these drivers into livecd image?

http://www.ite.com.tw/pc/LinuxSrc_it8212_v1.44.zip

It's support for IT8212F chipset aslo known as GIGARaid.

Thanks, Adam

Gentoo newbie :wink:
shift
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeeman, I finally got a Reiser4 system up and running using your LiveCD and Redeeman6 patch.

I don't know if Reiser4 is much faster than Reiser3.6, but the stability and reliability has improved a lot! With Reiser3.6 after one of my crashes (long story, it's in a thread in Desk. Env. forums) the whole system would become unuseable, dozens of files would get lost. This morning on Reiser3.6, after 3 crashes, I couldn't even boot X because a whole screen of files were lost into oblivion.

Hoping a reinstall would solve the problem, I wiped root and put Reiser4 on it (might as well since I discovered your Redeeman6 patch which fixed the tail.c + compile problems). That didn't fix my particular problem and it was still crashing left and right. Reiser4 was a trooper and didn't lose hundreds of files like Reiser3.6 did. So I was able to experiment until I finally got the problem fixed.

The worst I got with Reiser4 was a kernel panic during bootup which said it couldn't mount root. A quick run of fsck.reiser4 on your LiveCD got my system to boot happily again.

The strange thing is, the fsck had a Segmentation Fault when beginning the 3rd check (traverse tree or something). Now is that something I should be worried about? Fsck didn't fix anything, it didn't even finish its checking runs...

Before it started its check runs, i.e. when it was listing the fs type etc., it had an error about something missing/corrupt. When I ran fsck the 2nd time, it no longer had that error...but as I understand it, fsck didn't even complete its run and didn't fix anything...

My system is booting/working ok at the moment. Maybe you can tell me how to get fsck to make a successful check/repair run?

I think my system has a newer version of reiser4progs 0.5.4 than the one on the LiveCD (which I think is 0.5.3). The dilemma is that I can't run fsck without unmounting the drive, and if I unmount I can't run fsck which is located on that drive... I doubt its a problem with the progs as my FS version as listed by fsck is 0.5.3, same version as the fsck prog.
Gentoo Matrix
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea, my reiser4 partitions never corrupted
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running 2.6.6-love4 and used it along with reiser4progs-0.5.4 to create a reiser4 partition today (/home).

Then I downloaded your livecd so I could convert my root partition to reiser4 also. The problem is whenever I try to mount my existing /home reiser4 partition (I was going to backup my root into there) I get a segmentation fault.

Any clues?
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't know if Reiser4 is much faster than Reiser3.6, but the stability and reliability has improved a lot! With Reiser3.6 after one of my crashes (long story, it's in a thread in Desk. Env. forums) the whole system would become unuseable, dozens of files would get lost. This morning on Reiser3.6, after 3 crashes, I couldn't even boot X because a whole screen of files were lost into oblivion.

Yep, sometimes I'm glad that Linux is so stable (I've never had it hard crash on me unless I've done something obviously stupid with the kernel) because I've had 2 problems which have required me to rebuild the FS tree under ReiserFS 3.6 after dodgy crashes. If it crashed anywhere near as many as times as Windows used to I'm certain my data would be gone by now.

Glad to hear Reiser4 is more stable under crashes/power cuts though :)
shift
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you rebuild the tree? fsck.reiser4 seg faults before it finishes its preliminary checks, so I can't do anything with it. :?
Gentoo Matrix
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaiah wrote:
Works very well here - just finished merging the system and need to figure out how to do the manual kernel install (know the instuctions are here somewhere, but can wait until tommorrow for that) :wink:
Thanks again Redeeman (and company) 8)

I think I finally figured this manual stuff out. The patch (2.6.5-Redeeman6) worked and the kernel (linux-2.6.5) compiled successfully and boots and appears to be working fine. A couple of things I took note of:

#1 - I didn't have any choices in the Plug'n'Play area when configuring the kernel.
#2 - uname only returns Linux (was expecting Linux 2.6.5-Redeeman6)

The fact that I applied the patch in the kernel directory vs the linux (symlink) directory should not make a difference, should it :?:
IamSomeone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: GigaRAID Reply with quote

seal wrote:
Can you add these drivers into livecd image?

http://www.ite.com.tw/pc/LinuxSrc_it8212_v1.44.zip

It's support for IT8212F chipset aslo known as GIGARaid.

Thanks, Adam

Gentoo newbie :wink:

Can you can you??? Pleeeeeeeease?

Oh, btw, they released a newer version of the driver:

http://www.ite.com.tw/pc/LinuxDriver_it8212_092005-09.zip

Thanks in advance

-someone
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakerski wrote:
d

---------------------------------
HOW I GOT RAID AND REISER4 SUPPORT
---------------------------------

ok, here's what to do:

use the non-reiser4 livecd and boot.

mount the /boot partition to /mnt/gentoo

go to /usr/sbin (i think) and copy over raidstart, raidstop, and mkraid to the /mnt/gentoo (acutally boot) partition. MAKE SURE TO USE THE -a flag:
#cp -a mkraid /mnt/gentoo

ok. now boot the reiser4 cd:
#mkdir /mnt/temp
#mount /dev/BOOTDEVICE /mnt/temp
#modprobe md
#./mnt/temp/raidstart /dev/md0
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the next livecd will probably contain all you need. however, i am currently trying to fix some bitkeeper for reiser4, if it fails, ill need to wait for a official snapshot
Souperman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reedeman, does the LiveCD kernel support LVM2? If not, would you be able to "make it so" in the next LiveCD release, as well as include the LVM2 userspace tools?

I'm going to run /tmp, /usr/portage and /var on reiser4 but I'd like a LiveCD for "just in case" reasons. I'm using LVM2 on everything except /, /boot and my swap partition.
Souperman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bumpity bump* :wink:
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the **** ?

http://www.namesys.com/auto-snapshots/

what are they now up to ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: