zoneinfo, separate /usr partition, rc files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukinojo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: zoneinfo, separate /usr partition, rc files Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been happily running my Gentoo 1.2 installation for a few months now, running emerge once a day to synch up. About two days ago, my clock stops synchronizing, even though the config files are correct and the BIOS clock has not been changed. At the point where I can login to the system, 'date' shows an incorrect date (in UTC), while 'hwclock' shows the right one. 'hwclock --hctosys' fix the problem until the system is restarted, and the same thing happened again.

Putting a trace in /etc/init.d/clock shows that the command invoked was correct: 'hwclock --hctosys --localtime', and the hardware clock right after that point is also correct. 'date' at that point however, shows UTC as the timezone.

After trying a few things unsuccessfully, I tried to copy the zoneinfo file directly as /etc/localtime, and voila! that seems to fix the problem. The system does have a separate /usr partition, so I'm suspecting that /usr may not have been mounted at that point, and the system reverted back to the default UTC timezone.

I haven't tried to re-confirm this by putting in traces in the rc files, so just wondering if anyone can comment on this? What is the rc file invocation order in Gentoo?

Thanks! :D
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: zoneinfo, separate /usr partition, rc files Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

yukinojo wrote:
What is the rc file invocation order in Gentoo?
You might want to read Gentoo Linux 1.0 Init System
yukinojo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: zoneinfo, separate /usr partition, rc files Reply with quote

kanusplus wrote:
You might want to read Gentoo Linux 1.0 Init System

I did go through it before posting here, but somehow missed the bit about the alphabetical order, funny how the information shows up instantly the second time you read it :)

After a bit of digging, it seems that the latest baselayout package made changes to the dependencies of some of the rc files -- in this case, 'clock' no longer depended on 'localmount' (bugfix to another bug). In my setup (will double check later) this seems to cause /usr to be mounted only afterwards, hence the clock synch problem.

Thanks for the help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: