View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdouble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtun3Z wrote:
ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5.2 /lib/libncurses.so.5
did my trick after i updated ncurses

Thanks for the tip. That was a quick and easy fix, emerge ncurses and back in business!
revil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I used dunsters fix and that seemed to work... although now i have a completly different problem. which started at the same time as the ncurses one. whenever I'm in kde and i open a console and run su, everything goes to hell. I think a memory leak is occuring since my memory fills up and then my entire swap space fills up. before this I have never seen my swap space fill up because i have enough ram to handle everything. so I see this as very strange.

does this have anything to do with ncurses, or is this something else?

edit: hehe, i figured out what was wrong.... i had a bad statement is my .bashrc file. stupid me :?

Last edited by revil on Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdouble wrote:
dtun3Z wrote:
ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5.2 /lib/libncurses.so.5
did my trick after i updated ncurses

Thanks for the tip. That was a quick and easy fix, emerge ncurses and back in business!

Yep, that solution would have been easier, but in my case it didn't work since there was nothing to symlink to anymore...:)
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revil wrote:
I had the same problem. I used dunsters fix and that seemed to work... although now i have a completly different problem. which started at the same time as the ncurses one. whenever I'm in kde and i open a console and run su, everything goes to hell. I think a memory leak is occuring since my memory fills up and then my entire swap space fills up. before this I have never seen my swap space fill up because i have enough ram to handle everything. so I see this as very strange.

does this have anything to do with ncurses, or is this something else?

Did you re-emerge ncurses ? I'll assume you did. I had that exact same problem you described but only after using sash instead of bash, are you using sash ?
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: My $0.02 Reply with quote

I thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I had the same problem, and just did this:
Code:
 emerge /usr/portage/sys-lib/ncurses/ncurses-5.3.ebuild

and that put the old ncurses back, and registered the 5.2 version in such a way as to have it removed during the next emerge clean. Only downside: the next time you wanna to an update, it will reinstall the 5.2 and try to get rid of the 5.3. Just emerge the 5.3 again, and you should be fine.

Late'a,

Drew
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it like this:

Code:

mv /mnt/gentoo/lib/libncurses.so.5.2 /mnt/gentoo/lib/libncurses.so.5

everything works fine as far as i know .. but my symlink doesn't work right:

Code:

ws01 root # ls -al /lib |grep curs
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Oct 22 15:05 libcurses.so -> libncurses.so.5.2
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       311229 Oct 22 15:05 libncurses.so.5

Do I have to recreate the symlink or leave it as it is?
and why does this work ? is libcurses.so really needed ? :)
rafeco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Use ldconfig Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier upthread in the link to the other topic, the simplest solution to this problem seems to be using ldconfig. I had done an emerge clean and run into the same problems mentioned elsewhere in the topic, and ldconfig solved my problems without forcing me to dig up my rescue CD and create a symlink on my own.

Obviously the rescue CD approach works as well, but ldconfig is much smoother (assuming it works for you as it did for me), especially if your box is a server and you have to hook a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to it to futz with the rescue CD.
loki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: eek it happened to me too :| Reply with quote

Id be eble to fix my system if only I could login as root ... I already have a terminal open but I cant su because of bash needing ncurses...

I tried su -c /bin/sash

any other ideas ? I guess I could reboot and use the rescue CD if I have to, but I would much prefer to avoid that ... ;-)

thanks in advance

curt
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: eek it happened to me too :| Reply with quote

loki wrote:
Id be eble to fix my system if only I could login as root ... I already have a terminal open but I cant su because of bash needing ncurses...

I tried su -c /bin/sash

any other ideas ? I guess I could reboot and use the rescue CD if I have to, but I would much prefer to avoid that ... ;-)

thanks in advance

I would not recommend using sash. In my case it crashed my system, spawning thousands (!) of processes which I couldn't end, please see my earlier post on that subject. Using the rescue CD is definitely the quick and easy way, unless you can simply make symlinks like some other lucky people here.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I try todo is "emerge -up system or world" and then check through forums AND bugs.gentoo.org. But if the listing is really long I crosses my fingers, closes my eyes prays and then hits "Enter". This where the new portage ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" should help. Its in the new portage 2.0.42.

hielvc
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did this happen? :twisted:

It thrashed my system too, and since I'm not really a patient fellow I re-installed. But I would like a warning or something before it renders my system unusable to me.

I have emerge rsync ; emerge -u system ; emerge -u world ; emerge clean running every night, and it's very frustrating when you come to work in the morning and suddenly you are scewed. :wink:

Hopefully they now will get this kind of surprises only in the "testing" version. 8)

--
Regards,
Helmers
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very skillful.

I managed to fix this without a reboot.

I unmerged ncurses, tossed in my liveCD, mounted it, and then copied the needed libraries over directly. (Currently re-emerging ncurses)

But, you say, cp doesn't work!

Ahh, but konqueror still did, and I had a root console open when it broke.

Whew!

~Mac~
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: