How To: Open links in Firefox from Gaim
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siroxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: How To: Open links in Firefox from Gaim Reply with quote

This isn't too complicated, but I couldn't find anything via search on this topic, so I thought I'd post what I did. Hope it helps anyone having trouble with this.

1. In Gaim: Tools -> Preference -> Browser.
  2. Choose the "Manual" option
  3. Enter this:
    Code:
    firefox -remote "openurl(%s, new-tab)"

Note, if you want to open it in the same tab, simply omit the "new-tab" option, and for a new window, change "new-tab" to "new-window"
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I never knew how to the webpages to open in a new tab, now I'll have to go change it for my other programs.
thanks man.
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tip, but what about xchat ;D
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Presidente_Pufferfish wrote:
great tip, but what about xchat ;D

You can change it in Settings>Lists>URL Handlers
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... am I the only one with a firefox option in gaim, under browser?
And then right underneath that an option to "Open Link in: New Tab"?

Or is this just a feature in the masked versions of gaim? (I'm using 0.77, but the feature was also there in 0.76)
siroxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that option too, but it doesn't work when I'm not using the "default" profile with firefox, or if I have thunderbird running at the same time. I'm using gaim 0.77 too.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siroxo wrote:

I have that option too, but it doesn't work when I'm not using the "default" profile with firefox, or if I have thunderbird running at the same time. I'm using gaim 0.77 too.
Oh. I just use the default profile with firefox, and haven't run thunderbird in a while (currently only have webmail) so I guess that's why I don't have any probs with the setup.

But, I'm glad to know that when I start using thunderbird again that if I have that problem there is a fix on the forums :D
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly the same thing, but related:

When I used the mozilla 1.x suite, before switching to firefox/thunderbird, I was able to middle click a link in an email, and it would open in a new tab in the browser. After switching to firefox, due th the fact they are no longer integrated, this no longer happens. Instead, it seems to just use the default web browser (i'm using Gnome.) It seems however, that you can set the default web browser in gnome to be any command, by default for firefox, it's 'firefox %s' (with the %s being the url passed.) So replacing the command there could possibly create a system-wide thing (or maybe just gtk-wide, I don't know) where urls open tabs instead of windows, which I'd very much like. However, it seems that the -remote command fails if there is no firefix window open, so I'm wondering how plausible it would be to create a script to check if firefox is open, and if so, issue one command, and if not, to issue another. (I know very very little about scripting) Any assistance would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Nate
Bastux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Open links in Firefox from Gaim Reply with quote

siroxo wrote:
This isn't too complicated, but I couldn't find anything via search on this topic, so I thought I'd post what I did. Hope it helps anyone having trouble with this.

1. In Gaim: Tools -> Preference -> Browser.
  2. Choose the "Manual" option
  3. Enter this:
    Code:
    firefox -remote "openurl(%s, new-tab)"

Note, if you want to open it in the same tab, simply omit the "new-tab" option, and for a new window, change "new-tab" to "new-window"

I configured it simply with

Code:

firefox %s

and it works too
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but doesn't that just tell Firefox to open the link in the default way?
The other method specifies that the link is to be opened as a tab.
siroxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewy wrote:
I may be wrong, but doesn't that just tell Firefox to open the link in the default way?
The other method specifies that the link is to be opened as a tab.

Exactly, and you can choose to open in a new window.

Also the way I posted bypasses some firefox/thunderbird profile-related issues that pop up the profile manager and makes "firefox %s" not work for me. Maybe once they get all those sorted out the simple way will be enough, but for now I use the -remote command.
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the profile things are actually issues. The problem is that you can't run mutiple instances of firefox with the same profile (different than just multiple windows.) Also, I found that there is a wrapper script that portage installs for starting mozilla/firefox that tries to detect if it's open or not, and send a remote command if it is, and open it if not. You'll notice /usr/bin/firefox is just a symlink to /usr/bin/mozilla-launcher (or at least it is on my system.) I may try to modify this to open in new tabs if it indeed is open, as I never use multiple windows if I can help it.

-Nate

EDIT: It's easier than I thought, the mozilla-launcher script has a variable right at the top to control if it opens in tabs or windows.
verbatim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In gaim 0.77, you can just go to browser, and pick "Firefox" on the list. Nothing else needed.
fourwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the topic of XChat has been brought up already.. can XChat handle a URL by just double-clicking on it? This is one thing I miss from mIRC. Right-clicking and selecting the URL handler isn't a huge pain, but a simple double-click would be nice. Is this possible?
siroxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verbatim wrote:
In gaim 0.77, you can just go to browser, and pick "Firefox" on the list. Nothing else needed.

This doesn't work for me, unfortunately... Thats why I started this thread, since that doesn't seem to work for some ppl (:
andrewy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourwood wrote:
As the topic of XChat has been brought up already.. can XChat handle a URL by just double-clicking on it? This is one thing I miss from mIRC. Right-clicking and selecting the URL handler isn't a huge pain, but a simple double-click would be nice. Is this possible?

Probably, but I have no idea how to do it, and XChat isn't very well documented.
IMHO, that's the worst thing about XChat - they don't document all the variables they use, what the stuff in the various lists are, etc, like mIRC does.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linked in the Firefox tip repository: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1911942#1911942
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: