Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is gentoo supposed to be this stripped down?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Is gentoo supposed to be this stripped down? Reply with quote

I just finally got gentoo booted up, and after hours and hours of work I have a system that is just a command prompt, and no programs at all (no x, no lynx,...) Is it supposed to be this stripped down? And why doesnt my network work? I could connect to the network to install the thing, but now I cant access the internet. Besides that, I dont even have lynx anymore, and I had it when I was installing gentoo. I have a linksys card that uses tulip drivers. Any help would be great
-Ryan

-O BTW sorry bout starting that duplicate thread about grub i found the other thread after I posted.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly: Yes, it is supposed to be that stripped down... thats the beauty of it. you only install what you need.

Secondly: lynx was installed on the boot CD, not on your system, once you took out that cd and rebooted alot of the fancy tools on the CD are gone. you can do "emerge lynx" to get lynx back.

Thirdly: The network problem could be nearly anything. are you using DHCP? edit your /etc/conf.d/net file and make sure iface_eth0="dhcp"
also run rc-update add net.eth0 default
that should have been done during the installation, maybe you missed it? could also be that the tulip support isn't built into the kernel, or if its a module, maybe you didn't load it.
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great network works now. What all exactly can I do with emerge? Can I use that to install other software? (like gnome or xfree86 maybe??)

Thanks

<edit>
I just did emerge emacs and I was assuming that would install emacs but it is downloading and installing a ton of stuff and it downloaded like tiff and jpeg packages and all -- what exactly am i installing?

x420src-3.tar.gz is one of the files it just downloaded
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically everything you're asking is found in the main Gentoo Documentation Area. Please do take the time to go through some of this yourself. In particular:

These topics have also been discussed thoroughly on these forums.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sum it up for you. With the default USE Variables, Anything that you emerge that has option support for Xwindows will make u se of it, by downloading and installing X if it isn't already done. emacs has support for x and you didn't specifically tell gentoo that you didn't want X Support, so it is building X. you can specify these things in your /etc/make.conf or just EXPORT them from the command line... Read the USE Variable documentation for details on what flags are available.
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What all exactly can I do with emerge? Can I use that to install other software? (like gnome or xfree86 maybe??)
I just did emerge emacs and I was assuming that would install emacs but it is downloading and installing a ton of stuff and it downloaded like tiff and jpeg packages and all -- what exactly am i installing?

'emerge' is the primary tool for installing software on Gentoo. It downloads the source code for the tool, compiles, and installs it. But before it does that, it downloads, compiles, and installs everything that is listed as a dependency. It's really cool like that.

To see everything that will be installed with a given emerge command, use 'emerge -p packagename'. Emacs has many dependencies, including X (for xemacs, I presume).

Your first day or two will probably be spent constantly emerging. Just emerge and walk away, go to sleep, go to work, etc. But at the end of it all, it will be compiled specifically for your system.

You will want to review the USE flags and the gcc compiler flags (both are found in /etc/make.conf) before too much is emerged. Look in the Gentoo documentation for some hints. If you want to go back and re-emerge stuff after changing the flags, its really easy. Don't feel that you have to do that now, or ever.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gentoo! If you get stuck, please don't hesitate to come to the forums with your problems (but search before you ask, in case your question has been answered before).
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzbal wrote:
Emacs has many dependencies, including X (for xemacs, I presume).

Both GNU Emacs and XEmacs have optional support for X. The difference between the two packages is largely political.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: