View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Latest KDE Beta - No desktop Background Reply with quote

No matter what image I select for a background it uses default blue. i've tried 'refresh desktop' and it still doesn't work. also kind of unrelated I guess. kmess isn't saving my settings either. all of my other config setttings seem to hold, but not those 2.. anyone know whats going on?
chrish01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, me too...i have no idea what it is, but it royally pisses me off.
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to want to default to the "default_blue.whatever" picture regardless of what I set it to. So I went ahead and just backed that up, and copied the background I wanted over it. Crued, but its a quick fix for now.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dev. I'll just do that, i never thought of it :)
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I assume it's a bug that will be fixed before 3.1 final is out.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this problem in 3.1Beta1, but it is not there anymore in 3.1Beta2. I can change the background to whatever I like now :)

I would suggest that you maybe remove or rename your .kde directory prior to starting the new version to see if it helps.

Erik
TheZog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 3.1Beta2 and I still can't change the background.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest KDE Beta - No desktop Background Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
No matter what image I select for a background it uses default blue. i've tried 'refresh desktop' and it still doesn't work. also kind of unrelated I guess. kmess isn't saving my settings either. all of my other config setttings seem to hold, but not those 2.. anyone know whats going on?

I can't speak for your kmess problem, but for the desktop background the fix is easy. Login to your kde session and remove your .kde/share/config/kdesktoprc file. Then go ahead and change your background and it should stick.
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is the same problem...

When I choose a new background, I have to take a window and "wave" it around the desktop to paint the new background over the previous one.
Wilke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I saw this problem in 3.1Beta1, but it is not there anymore in 3.1Beta2. I can change the background to whatever I like now :)
Erik

LOL....now this is funny...at my computer it worked perfectly well in 3.1Beta1, but in 3.1Beta2 I have exactly this problem :P

Weird stuff happening, but as long as it works in the final I won't complain about some stupid background image for now.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OdinsDream wrote:
Maybe this is the same problem...

When I choose a new background, I have to take a window and "wave" it around the desktop to paint the new background over the previous one.

Hah, I used to have this problem _sometimes_ with 3.0.3. I've yet to try removing the kdesktoprc fix...
morck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem until today .... but I'm not sure how I fixed it.
Try to choose the new background for just "one" desktop and not for all of them. I thing that was what I did. And after that it just worked fine.
[smeagol]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem has happened to me in gentoo 1.2 as well as gentoo 1.4... must be a kde problem. and jw. Why don't textboxes become antialiased in kde? :P
dnm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: kdesktoprc Reply with quote

I could not for some reason change my desktop wallpaper... (kde3.1beta2)
I did get it to accept new picture files after fiddling with $HOME/.kde3.1/share/config/kdesktoprc. If I only remembered exactly what I did...
But here is what I vaguely remember:
Tried to change from configure background/wallpaper menu, seems to accept the new picture but does not display it and when I get back into the configure dialog from the menu it still shows the old filename.
So I exit configure dialog again and I modify kdesktoprc by removing the first Wallpaper=<xxx.png/jpg/etc> line I find in it, and the next time I use the wallpaper/background menu I can now can add other images (multi) + when I go out (click OK) then the actual pic is displayed instead of ignored... strange... now changing desktop background every hour :)
(gentoo 1.4rc1+unmasked kde3.1beta2)
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People...Matt had the answer...read up to the post by Lin_Matt. That's the absolute easiest way around this problem.

Karl
dnm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
People...Matt had the answer...read up to the post by Lin_Matt. That's the absolute easiest way around this problem.

Karl

For sure, but I didnt wanna lose my settings, I tinkered with quite a few of the desktop settings...
Alright; I could have made a note of them or rather copied the kdesktoprc and check what I needed to change to get the relevant ones back after the new kdesktoprc was generated. But I agree the easiest way is as Matt said just delete it and change the things that irritate you the most after resetting, and I should have pointed that out before the bulk of my rambling on :)
yannick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of simply removing your ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc, you can just edit it and :
- set "UseWallpaper=true" (I don't remember exactly the names, I'm on my computer now)
- set "Wallpaperlist="
- set "Wallpaper=Dasding.jpg" or whatever background you want (if it is in a normal dir for kde wallpapers [that is /usr/kde/3.1/share/Wallpapers, ~/.kde/share/Wallpapers], you don't need to include the path)
- save

then start "Configure Desktop..." and click "Apply".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: