Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Need your suggestion for slow computer!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dimebag_bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Need your suggestion for slow computer!!! Reply with quote

Hi, I got a laptop 150mmx, 48MB ram and 2.1GB HD.

It's my girlfriend's laptop... she only needs it for office tools (word, excel, ect...), browse on internet (opera) and for playing MP3s.

She had Windows 98 on it... and guess what?? not stable!!! So I suggest to install linux with openoffice instead....

I installed Red Hat 7.3.. But it's way too slow!!! (they put so many junk in their distro). So I decided to install Gentoo (I know it's really fast so..)

Right now, it's still compiling at stage1.

Here's my questions :

I want the fastest combination of softwares to be able to run openoffice smoothly. So I won't even touch KDE (eats too much ressources). Gnome might be an idea, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be fast enough.

Other options are Enlightenment, Windowmaker, ICE

So which Window Manager should I install ???
And which browser and MP3 player ???

By the way, she's a total newbie at linux.... It's the first time she will use it... so please don't suggest anything complicated to use
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd set her up with window maker that way she can still have "icons" to launch applications and its very lightweight, if you want something even lighter you'll have to go with flux/blackbox but lack of icons might throw her off if she isn't into learning her way around a linux system
DNH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hook her up with fluxbox and install idesk for icons. It is quite nice and light. Moreover, you can get icons on the desktop and still have the fluxbox menu. Here's a screenshot. Note that you can also include a caption beneath the icons, I just choose not to.
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need your suggestion for slow computer!!! Reply with quote

dimebag_bog wrote:
So I decided to install Gentoo (I know it's really fast so..)

Right now, it's still compiling at stage1.

Just thought those were rather amusing contrasting comments. :lol:

Serious, though. I can't say much... I'm getting ready to try a 486/50mhz. I'm no expert, but I would also recommend window maker, as it might be a bit more "familiar" to her. As far as browsers, you might want to look at phoenix (still in infancy, but promising... its stripped down mozilla... search forums for it).

OpenOffice will be possible, but probably hurt on load up... does she really need a spreadsheet? AbiWord is small and fast... better yet, teach her vi :wink: . If she needs MS compatability (which she will probably demand), OpenOffice is your best bet. Just strip it down, if you can.

Let us know how it goes...
IBM 120GB (Linux), WD 30GB (WinDoze), ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi, I got a laptop 150mmx, 48MB ram and 2.1GB HD.

If you can stuff some more ram in there it will certainly help a lot.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard lots of good things about the flux/idesk combination and there's also waimea (I am going to try this one shortly on one of my lesser machines.) I've personally gone from stage1 on a P100 with 64megs of RAM and about that much hard drive space. If you don't need MS Office compatability in the office apps, you can go with lighter weight choices than OpenOffice... Personally using the aforementioned system for a period of time (actually, when I was using it for my work desktop, it was running KDE under Mandrake - yes, it was PAINFULLY slow), and trying various browers, I determined that Opera was easily the fastest under low-ram conditions.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the fluxbox/idesk look.....very cool
dimebag_bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advices...

I installed Fluxbox and it was fast enough. But unfortunately, openoffice is way too slow :( It takes 2 minutes to open, and when you type some letters in word, they appear 5 second later!!!

So I have to install the stupid Windows 98 back and hope everything will run fine.... :(
tirantloblanc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimebag_bog wrote:
Thank you for your advices...

I installed Fluxbox and it was fast enough. But unfortunately, openoffice is way too slow :( It takes 2 minutes to open, and when you type some letters in word, they appear 5 second later!!!

So I have to install the stupid Windows 98 back and hope everything will run fine.... :(

Why don't you try Lyx or and old linux version of Wordperfect?
I used to run Wordperfect7 with my old 486 under RedHat 5.1
dimebag_bog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need openoffice. It's my girlfriend's laptop and she works with MS Office 2000 at school... So only openoffice is fully compatible with MS Office...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: