View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: iso-8859-2 characters in gnome-terminal Reply with quote

I'm having troubles with gnome-terminal. It does not display iso-8859-2 characters (some of them are displayed and instead of the others are there just whitespaces). Even if I choose czech as Gnome language at startup ...

My config is:
- gnome-terminal version 2.0.1
- export locales (LC_CTYPE="cs_CZ") in Gnome session
- -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso8859-2 font (which was taken from working gnome1.4 configuration on my other RedHat desktop, but I tried other fonts too)

Weird is that other applications (both Gnome2 and Gnome1) are OK and display characters correctly ...

Any1 experienced and solved this ?

Thx for the advice ...
Charon
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: same crap Reply with quote

with iso-....-7 (modern greek). The strange thing is that I didn't have these problems on gnome2 before but only after a recent -u world. What, in the eyes of an end user, has changed is gcc3.2 and gnome-terms font selection method: instead of the classic gtk-font-select dialog you've got a roll-down menu with available fonts - according to the app (they appear to be far less than those I've got installed). No other gnome2 app seems to be having such troubles, so I assume it's a gnome-term specific bug.

<rant>
In the early days of linux DEs, it was KDE that looked and behaved "redmondish" and gnome offered more of the unix "user-controls-everything" philosophy. Starting with gnome 1.4 (that made me shift to independent window managers and just use some gnome-apps) and culminating to gnome2, there is an obvious inversion to this trend. Gnome appears to be chanting the well-known "you don't need to know how it works" and "I'll do it for you, without you" mantras. Personally, gnome is one bit away from losing its last components from my prefered apps list...
Farewell, G.N.O.M.E., it's been good while it lasted!
</rant>

submitted bug #9759
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Spider rapidly replied (thnx! :wink: ) to the bug entry and it looks like there is nothing gentoo people can do to fix this but simply wait for gnome 2.2.

So, to put you out of the agony, here follows the relevant parts of the reply:

Quote:

What |Removed |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Status|NEW |RESOLVED
Resolution| |WONTFIX

------- Additional Comments From spider@gentoo.org 2002-10-27 09:59 -------
this is a known bug in the upsteram Gnome version, gnome-terminal uses zvt which
isn't capable of rendering anything else than ascii.. This will be fixed in
gnome 2.2, or in the alternative zvt-i18n branches. unfortunately its nothing
we can fi x on our side. :/

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: