Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ultra sparc10 install, can't partition???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: ultra sparc10 install, can't partition??? Reply with quote

Ok, the wandering idiot needs a kick in the right direction because I'm going insane trying to get linux onto an ultra sparc10.

After fighting the 2004.1 livecd's for hours and finally getting a sparc64 2004.0 minimal livecd to actually boot to a login I'm starting to climb the wall. Things were going well, I got it on the network but that's about as far as I can take the install. When I attempt to fdisk the drive it complains that I won't be able to modify the partition table. Not wanting to trust a little error message I proceed with setting up the partitions the way I want them only to be rewarded with this:
Code:

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 16: Device or resource busy.
The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot.
Syncing disks.

no big deal so I go ahead and try the mke2fs -j /dev/hda1 and it confirms that it doesn't exist. So I throw it the good ole fdisk -l /dev/hda to see what the heck I have and there's all the crap I told it to zonk before laying it out the way I want. I know I'm overlooking the obvious here, it's late and the empty bottle of vodka probably isn't helping my thought process. Rebooting puts everything back to the beginning, so what am I overlooking on making the partitions?
Mark Clegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd almost like to say the hard disk is write protected....

Has it got anything on it that it will boot from so you can verify this?

You could try doing a

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1k count=1

which will completely destroy the partition table requiring fdisk to completely rebuild it, but check out the Gentoo on Sparc forum and search for whole disk partition problems first....
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
idiot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Clegg wrote:
You could try doing a
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1k count=1
Interesting. I get
Code:

livecd root # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1k count=1
dd: opening '/dev/hda': read-only file system

So now for the obvious question, what can I do about that? For grins I grabbed another IDE drive thinking the drive might just be toast but it does the same thing.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found in the rare situation where I run into this that parted works when fdisk won't. You might give it a shot, just tryi to make sure the disklabel exists beforehand as parted doesn't always handle that well.
idiot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parted and cfdisk don't seem to do it either. After coming back to it today I looked at the fdisk-l and it has a native/swap layout that was created while the whole disk span was made sometime yesterday. Everything is /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1..part2..part3 instead of /dev/hda1..2..3.. <grrrrrr>

Booting today (no changes since booting yesterday) I still can't create filesystems to /dev/hda1 etc.. But it does seem to allow it if I shoot for /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1 etc... I was able to make the native file system ext3, and do a mkswap on ../part2 and setup some mounting. I'm downloading a fresh stage tarball now with the hopes that "stuff just works" even if everything is on a single partition instead of being done right.
idiot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

success, with the exception of some problems getting silo loaded the machine now boots. For some reason silo seems to load after configuring and running it, but on a reboot there is no sign of it and all I get is the openboot. grrrr problem for another thread tomorrow if I remain stupid all night... For now I've had enough fun and am just going to set it off to snag xfree and kde.

Afterall it's a sun, running a good OS... who needs to reboot directly from a hd anyway. . . LOL
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: