View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Why nano? Reply with quote

Since we are using a serious GNU/Linux distro for serious Linux people, why is it packaged with a text editor which most serious admin/programmers cringe at? I would find it quite hard to believe that the gentoo developers use nano for much. Am I wrong?

I was very upset to find that the AMD64 2004.0 live disc didn't even offer vi at all. It is annoying enough that bootstrapping doesn't contain vi and even worse that vi installs by default in /usr/bin.

Since the entire distro is a learning experience for new linux users anyway, why can't the text editor be as well? Would it make such a difference to include vim-lite with the bootstrap and live cd? You could even keep nano.

I'm sorry, I am sure I'm not the first to ask this question.
hensan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! ed should be the only editor on the livecd. Anything else is just waste of diskspace :D
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hensan wrote:
Bah! ed should be the only editor on the livecd. Anything else is just waste of diskspace :D

Is ed a hex editor? No, dump it. Besides, who needs a text editor when you can do everything you need to with sed, piping, and >>, > in bash.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vim4life

I emerge it right after emerge system, it's all I will use to edit text at the cmd line.
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very upset about multiple things of the livecd's... for instance, it would really help if they would deliver a basic compiler/automake package with it, just to be able to compile drivers (for my ethernet adapter, for example) . Or perhaps telnet wouldn't be such an extreme luxioury (sp?) either.

But to put my personal frustrations aside, i think nano's chosen because of the more natural approach than for example vi(m). The Gentoo developers most likely didn't want to deliver several different editors, and decided to go with one. Now, it is a common fact that MANY people don't know how to use vi (they should), and nano basically gives a, like i previously stated, more natural approach and this must be the reason of the decision.

Bottom line: nano can be used by people who master vi, and not vice versa.

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats actually wrong with nano, i only use it for editing config files so what functunality would vi offer me as i would use kwrite and openoffice for real writing tasks
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewan.paton wrote:
whats actually wrong with nano, i only use it for editing config files so what functunality would vi offer me as i would use kwrite and openoffice for real writing tasks

As far as I'm concerned, the things I want to do is done way faster in vi than nano. It gives me better markup for almost everything (including Makefiles and config files)..

But most important of all, it makes me l33t. :lol:

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewan.paton wrote:

Nothing at all. It is just I am so much more at home with vi. I figured most of the people using gentoo would feel the same. I may be wrong.

Just when I open a file in nano I ALWAYS start typing in my vi shortcuts to move around the file, and then I realize I am just typing garbage at the top of the screen. The way you save and quit in nano is just so unnatural for me.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer vim myself, but I can see why nano's on the liveCD: it's so simple that even a drunken Republican could figure it out.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the LiveCD had everything you need for your final system, you'd boot off the LiveCD forever and not bother installing anything. So long as it has SOME text editor, I don't think it's a huge deal. Including the least-complex text editor by default isn't a bad idea; everyone who can use vim can almost certainly use nano, but everyone who can use nano likely can't use vim. A new user has enough to worry about setting up fstabs and USE flags, without needing to battle a text editor. (I use vim for everything too, just saying.)
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Nano, personally. MP is nice as well, but it has some quirks occasionally, probably because I mucked around with some configuration though.

VI is probably a better solution, but for the amount of work I do in CLI and such, it's not worth it to me to learn it. Sure, maybe I'll eventually learn it, but right now, it's not worth it.

You always go with the least common denominator, and for us, that's Nano.
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
If the LiveCD had everything you need for your final system, you'd boot off the LiveCD forever and not bother installing anything.

This is a silly statement. I'm not saying it should have everything I need for my final system on it. I am saying including the standard UNIX text editor wouldn't be such a crazy idea.

Unne wrote:
So long as it has SOME text editor, I don't think it's a huge deal. Including the least-complex text editor by default isn't a bad idea; everyone who can use vim can almost certainly use nano, but everyone who can use nano likely can't use vim. A new user has enough to worry about setting up fstabs and USE flags, without needing to battle a text editor. (I use vim for everything too, just saying.)

I don't think it is a bad idea to include the least-complex text editor, but it is not very Gentoo or UNIX or Linux exclude one of the most powerful and widely used. It just doesn't fit into the Gentoo puzzle. Incredibly powerful everything else, and then a very weak text editor. I understand vi isn't the easiest thing to use, but you should be able to learn enough to make it as usable as nano in under 10 minutes. VIM is a pretty dumbed down version of vi. With vim, once you hit "i", it is similar to being in an editor like nano. Don't get me wrong, I love vim. I think it is a huge improvement over vi.

And if we already have the linux virgins learning USE and fstab as you say, is it so much to ask them to learn "i - esc - ZZ" ?

If Gentoo is a distro for power users, developers and admins, why not give them the tools they use?

Really my biggest beef is not having it in the bootstrap. Ideally I would want it set up the way FreeBSD has it. They give you a lite vi in the base system and then the fancy vim/gvim is available as a port. What this means to me, is if my /usr gets wrecked, I have to use stupid nano to fix my ssytem which could add a large amount of time to my tasks as an admin (unless I copy a binary to /bin).

daniel
G-Style
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is wrong with Nano, it gets the job done that's all that matters.
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWM gets the job done too. Is that the window manager you use?
Kihaji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aut0maticdan wrote:

This is a silly statement. I'm not saying it should have everything I need for my final system on it. I am saying including the standard UNIX text editor wouldn't be such a crazy idea.

There is no standard UNIX text editor.

Quote:

I don't think it is a bad idea to include the least-complex text editor, but it is not very Gentoo or UNIX or Linux exclude one of the most powerful and widely used. It just doesn't fit into the Gentoo puzzle. Incredibly powerful everything else, and then a very weak text editor. I understand vi isn't the easiest thing to use, but you should be able to learn enough to make it as usable as nano in under 10 minutes. VIM is a pretty dumbed down version of vi. With vim, once you hit "i", it is similar to being in an editor like nano. Don't get me wrong, I love vim. I think it is a huge improvement over vi.

And if we already have the linux virgins learning USE and fstab as you say, is it so much to ask them to learn "i - esc - ZZ" ?

If Gentoo is a distro for power users, developers and admins, why not give them the tools they use?

OH NOS, you have to use nano for the 5 files you have to edit by hand during an install. Nano saves space and gives you all the power you need to edit the files you need to, you don't need regexp and all the other crap that VI/Emacs gives you, not during an install.

Quote:

Really my biggest beef is not having it in the bootstrap. Ideally I would want it set up the way FreeBSD has it. They give you a lite vi in the base system and then the fancy vim/gvim is available as a port. What this means to me, is if my /usr gets wrecked, I have to use stupid nano to fix my ssytem which could add a large amount of time to my tasks as an admin (unless I copy a binary to /bin).
daniel

If it takes you that much longer to edit a file in nano than in VI, you need help.
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aut0maticdan wrote:
TWM gets the job done too. Is that the window manager you use?

TWM gets the job done, but it isn't easier to use. Nano is.

And also, you can't compare a LiveCD to an installed desktop system.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look around the forums aut0maticdan. Most of us are not *nix "old hands" or sysadmins. We're just ordinary geeks who got pissed off at ms and/or windows and wanted another choice. I know how to do basic stuff in vim now, but two years ago when I was first trying gentoo I didn't. I'm glad nano was the default editor. There was enough to learn with gentoo without having to learn vi as well. You may think it's simple but vi was one of the most intimidating programs around for me coming from windows.

It's not like there is that much editing to do in the install anyway. But I wouldn't have a problem with vi being on the livecd. If you start calling for it to be the default I'll be making some noise though.

Kihaji wrote:
Actually accordiing to this page
Quote:
As ex/vi is part of the POSIX 1003.2 specification for shell utilities,...

I will still strongly oppose any atempt to make it the standard on gentoo though.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real point here is that Gentoo doesn't want to be seen taking a side in The One True Flamewar. (...and the wrong side, at that! :D)

If they include vi on the livecd, they would have to either include emacs as well (and risk turning the livecd into a liveboxedset) or endure a kajillion angry forum threads about text editors.
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kihaji wrote:

Name one UNIX that doesn't come with vi in the base system. When you are done with that, name one that does come with pico or nano. What is your definition of standard?

here is my example from dictionary.com:

"Something, such as a practice or a product, that is widely recognized or employed, especially because of its excellence."

Quote:
OH NOS, you have to use nano for the 5 files you have to edit by hand during an install. Nano saves space and gives you all the power you need to edit the files you need to, you don't need regexp and all the other crap that VI/Emacs gives you, not during an install.

Don't be an ass. You aren't understanding my point of view. I get a lot done while my system is building. You are missing the point though. Just because nano works is not the reason to use it. I'm not even saying not to include nano, but it would be nice for the people who use it if it were included. It doesn't save that much space either.

Kihaji wrote:
If it takes you that much longer to edit a file in nano than in VI, you need help.

I manage hundreds of systems and edit very large files. It makes a huge difference.
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdreinhart wrote:
I think the real point here is that Gentoo doesn't want to be seen taking a side in The One True Flamewar. (...and the wrong side, at that! :D)

If they include vi on the livecd, they would have to either include emacs as well (and risk turning the livecd into a liveboxedset) or endure a kajillion angry forum threads about text editors.

There is an easy way out of that one. Emacs is 18 megs vi is about a quarter of one meg. I doubt very seriously this is the reason though.
screwloose
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using nano is fine, it keeps the newbies from making 1000 forum posts asking how to edit a file.

I think we can suck it up and use nano for the five minutes it takes to get ---insert favorite editor-- working. Personally I use vim but I say leave it off the LiveCD if it saves space to have more important things like hardware drivers.

Of course I must admit I have had a few installs that needed to be tweaked after I found ":wq" in the middle of a config file after I originally edited it with nano.
aut0maticdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O

I've said what I have to say... if it can't happen, I still love gentoo. I had no intension of starting the vi vs pico vs emacs thing. I was just wondering the reason.

peez
myuser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever is the smallest and easiest to use.

I think nano fits the bill.

I prefer vim, but hey an editor has to be chosen and nano does appear to be the right one for the majority.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even to just include vi(m) so those of us that like it could make use of it even if it means specifying the full path or setting the EDITOR variable. Everytime I've installed Gentoo I've had to watch out for the "o" and ":wq!" lines if I'm going to fast in Nano ... it's do-able but slows me down. It would be such a small include and would make a huge difference. Just my $0.02. :D
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right. I've frigging had it...

Stop complaining!

If you're elite enough to grok vi, you're elite enough to put up with nano until you're done bootstrapping. Will it kill you to bootstrap, and then install vim once you've gotten GCC and glibc installed? Come on. I'm a vim fan myself; I learned C using vi on a SunOS rig, but I know better than to be petty about starting with nano on a new install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: