Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Well I got Fluxbox installed and working but............
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Well I got Fluxbox installed and working but............ Reply with quote

Well I got Fluxbox installed and working but it won't let me start any program that is associated with KDE. For instance if I right click the desktop and point to browsers I see konqueror there and only konqueror. If I click on it nothing happens at all. Its the same way with every kde app listed in the tree (or anything with a k as the first letter in the name). Whats the deal with this?
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: RE: K apps in Flux Reply with quote

Firstly, run an xterm and actually see if you can invoke a KDE prog from there. Type konqueror and see what happens. Could be your environment variables aren't set properly.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried running konq from the terminal and it would not run. It was really late so I may have been typing it wrong or something. I will try again right now. Brb..... Ok, I had to figure out the path to the exe and then in the xterm window type the path to the file and that worked. I have the xterm window still open and its giving alot of warnings: [client.cpp:371] daemon not found. Seems to happen when ever I click a link to go to a different website or if I mistype the name of a website in the address bar. Well, it would seem that fluxbax isn't all that bad but I wish my programs menu would work for "k" programs. Any ideas on how to get that working? Thanx :D
MarkG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread, the script I posted will fix your path problems which should allow the KDE apps to start from the desktop menu. It worked for me when I switched from KDE to fluxbox.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=2414

I also added these lines to my ~/.fluxbox/menu to start konqueror in its different profiles
Code:

[exec] (konqueror Web) {konqueror --profile webbrowsing }
 [exec] (konqueror File) {konqueror --profile filemanagement }

MarkG
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the location of the fluxbox/menu file that you added those lines to? I can't seem to be able to find it. Ok I found the file and added taht info to the browsers sections and that still doesn't allow me to run konq from the programs menu. Do I need to put the path to the exec in there or something because simply adding konqueror (well it it was already there accept for the stuff between the {} and the second line for file manager. Added the stuff you said to put in that wasn't already there and still nothing happens. Anything I am missing?

Last edited by FINITE on Thu May 16, 2002 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINITE wrote:
What is the location of the fluxbox/menu file that you added those lines to? I can't seem to be able to find it.

~/.fluxbox/menu

which on my system for the user mrfg is:

/home/mrfg/.fluxbox/menu

BTW Did the script I pointed you to work?

MarkG
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as for the script I don't know what it was supposed to do really. As far as I can tell though nothing has changed :D

I just restarted my system and went into kde and started the runaway process catcher and killed kicker when it pop'd up. I created a short cut icon on my desktop to start kicker though incase I want to use it for something like running a certain program that I can't remember the name for :D

After killing kicker my system is running alot faster now. Konqueror is flying along like a bat out of hell. I like flux box but Konqueror is alot slower than in kde (for me at least). I think I wll just get like 5 destop managers installed and through trial and error decide which I want to keep.

All that is left after that is to get my damn sound working!

Last edited by FINITE on Thu May 16, 2002 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkG
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought and read your posts properly :wink: , are you using KDM to star fluxbox? I kind of assumed you were since you've been using KDE kde apps.

What the scrip does is calls the /etc/profile (amongst other things) script when fluxbox starts, this sets up the default path and other things. To see if it's worked look at your path. This is what I get:
Code:
bash-2.05a$ echo $PATH
/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/qt/3/bin:/usr/qt/2/bin:/usr/kde/3/bin:/usr/kde/2/bin:/opt/vmware/bin
bash-2.05a$

Obviously the kde bits are the important bits.

If your not using KDM or XDM, the script I pointed you to wont get called.

You did restart the WM after installing the script and give it execute permissions?

If you still can get it to work, let me know and I'll have another think, or you can put the full paths of the apps in the .fluxbox/menu file but that's just nasty 8)

MarkG
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am using KDM to start fluxbox. Cna't start it from the run level3 prompt cause X has to be running and I do not like startx. I am reading over the script right now to make sure that I did not make any typos. Don't think I did but ya never know. I may just have to use the full path to the programs :D
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so there was a typo :D
It was in the "startup-$HOME/.xsession" line. Instead of start up I had starting :D Lets see if that helped.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, got it working :D

There were two typos :D In a certain place I had a ' instead of a "
My menu works fine now :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: