upgraded win2k to dynamic disk , grub acting up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: upgraded win2k to dynamic disk , grub acting up Reply with quote

not sure what has happened but i was bored and was reading about the difference between dynamic and basic disks under win2k and upgraded my drive to a dynamic disk.

it warned that the boot sector would be wiped but i thought no big deal since i will just reinstall grub and that should fix it.

well it rebooted and went into a loop , so i stuck in a grub boot floppy and reinstalled grub and rebooted. grub loaded its splash screen with the gentoo / win2k options as i had it setup and it works loading either.

the problem comes in when i boot win2k , after i reboot from windows the loop begins again forcing me to reinstall grub.

any idea as to what might cause this and a possible fix?.....should i try fixing the mbr with the win2k cd and then reinstall grub again?
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Upgrading to Dynamic Disk
You use Win2K's Disk Management to upgrade a basic disk to a dynamic disk. Click Start and go to Programs, Administrative Tools, Computer Management. You’ll find Disk Management under Storage, as Screen 1 shows. Click the gray area where you see the disk icon and the word Basic. Right-click and select Upgrade to Dynamic Disk. Note that you can’t dual-boot to another OS if you upgrade to dynamic disk, which typically isn't a big deal for servers, but it's something to think about for Windows 2000 Professional (Win2K Pro) machines.

apparently i didnt read enough
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hell...
I didn't know that!
I was going to try out dynamic disks, too... I guess that blows that idea out of the water.
TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 2000 sets "Basic disk" information in the registry. So the disk-configuration is only available within the active W2K. If you change to a "Dynamic disk" this information is removed from the registry and Windows changes the physical-disk-signature. This way disk-information is available within all W2K-installations. This is needed for software RAID. The problem is that you can only convert back to a "Basic disk" by formatting the disk (remove the modified disksignature)

TuxFriend
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i reinstalled win2k on a freshly formatted C: drive, but i left D: alone which was also dynamic.....after the new install i checked and C: had been configured automatically as a dynamic disk (i am assuming this was due to D: being dynamic )

well grub worked fine until one of the pre sp4 hotfixes was installed as i was updating windows.....i was too tired to try to reinstall and load one at a time to see which was the culprit, would be interesting to know what was happening though.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
well i reinstalled win2k on a freshly formatted C: drive, but i left D: alone which was also dynamic.....after the new install i checked and C: had been configured automatically as a dynamic disk (i am assuming this was due to D: being dynamic )

well grub worked fine until one of the pre sp4 hotfixes was installed as i was updating windows.....i was too tired to try to reinstall and load one at a time to see which was the culprit, would be interesting to know what was happening though.

If it's any consolation, I have Linux on LVM right now, and Windows gets all wierded out and tries to load a bunch of dynamic disk drivers. It seems to be random haha
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems curious that it made it through the sp3 update and worked fine through a couple of reboots....but i am going to try it again just to see if i can isolate the hotfix thats causing the problem.....from what i had read...(some of what i quoted above).....it shouldnt have work at all, so why it did until a hotfix was applied is kinda strange.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotfixes are uninstallable so you should be able to just uninstall them one at a time until it works again.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
seems curious that it made it through the sp3 update and worked fine through a couple of reboots....but i am going to try it again just to see if i can isolate the hotfix thats causing the problem.....from what i had read...(some of what i quoted above).....it shouldnt have work at all, so why it did until a hotfix was applied is kinda strange.

Ever since sp2, I've been afraid to even install anything more from Microsoft in fear that my computer will suddenly contain DRM related material, along with other little goodies.
Luckily, I only use it for gaming, and my digital camera.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats DRM material?

i reinstalled win2k on a basic disc configuration and reinstalled grub and everyone is happy....gaming is the reason i use windows too.... , although i donate money to transgaming , winex doesnt seem to be the answer to gaming under linux. more direct support like ut2003 and quake3 would obviously be better .

just a heads up about sp3...it did bork a gateway i had setup that used a pcmcia card and hostadapter causing me to have to reinstall windows on that machine to get my internet up again....but subsequently a clean install worked with sp3 on that same box....so if you go there backup anything important to you just incase.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRM (Digital Rights Management) Material they are starting to include with Windows Media Player, and various other tidbits without telling you unless you read the EULA and nitty-gritty details. Also, the newer EULAs essentially allow them to do anything to your computer that is felt prudent.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i will still update win2k , but i will not buy another OS from them again...i have bought and installed xp for people but just couldnt get over the registering to a specific hardware config. i know there are ways around it but i am not bothering....when 2k is too outdated i will buy a playstation3? ....lol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: