emerge dies before it begins doing anything
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: emerge dies before it begins doing anything Reply with quote

I've had my hand in installing gentoo on three computers over the past month and have never come across this problem before. Please help.

I was emerging cvsweb when linux crashed (yes it did :() upon reboot everything worked fine, however emerge was more or less killed in the process, or so it seems. emerge --clean rsync works just fine (as does searching) but all real emergings of other packages like portage itself dies like:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge media-sound/cdparanoia-3.9.8 to /

And thats all that it gets too. The cpu is pegged at 100% and nothing is happening...
this is the relevant info from ps auxw ...

root 6060 77.5 2.7 4472 3488 pts/0 S 02:34 0:05 python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge portage
root 6062 99.9 0.7 1784 888 pts/0 R 02:34 0:01 sandbox /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh clean

Thats it....I did a quick search of the forum but found no posting of emerge breaking at this stage ... Has anyone seen this??
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so your saying emerge rsync and emerge --pretend whatever work though...its when you go to emerge a pkg for real it doesnt...it just stalls after calculating the dependencies?....have you tried emrege --update world just for the hell of it
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah same old problem even with --update world.... I think it's the sandbox....

Ok here try this. run /usr/lib/portage/bin/sandbox as root... ok fine you get a sandbox shell to play around in. All is well. Type exit ... it should exit. At least it does on my functioning system. The problem system, which is smp, doesnt do this. Typing exit never exits the sandbox and the system is stuck.
It never did this before, only after it crashed ....
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont know what the hell the sandbox is but it did like you said and exited when i typed exit....and the gentoo box is smp...what file system are you running and have you tried fsck to see if anything shows up?
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've had the same problems. See this thread
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1419&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and this bugreport:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2532

I didn't get it working and finally reinstalled gentoo :x But I had not yet linked it to smp. Come to think of it, I did have to enable smp support in order to be able to compile my kernel (without it, compiling would crash). So maybe there's a connection. Good luck anyway.
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrr
Yeah seems to be a sandbox problem...
I did a FEATURES="-sandbox" and emerging works now

But sadly, i re-emerged portage and it's still broken. Will this fix itself later on? Could it actually be a sandbox problem or is it something else being read in from a config file somewhere that might be bad?? I ask this because I tried copying my good sandbox files and libs from my working system and still nothing ... wonder what else it relies on...
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you read both the thread and bug report, you should know I did all that. I reinstalled portage with all dependencies from binaries and even bootstrapped my system again. No luck.

I agree on the config file stuff, but I replaced every file (at least I think). It does seem like a variable being wrong or something, but I couldn't pinpoint it. Finally I got mad :twisted: and reinstalled (regretting I got mad after 5 hours or so ....).

Still, if you find anything, make sure you post it :wink:
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<sigh> This didnt help. I have a kernel 'exec' module that intercepts all function calls to the kernel's SYS_execve . I was hoping to get a trace to the offending problem but nothing too promising....

Code:

May 15 15:59:51 dual Exec Kernel Module (for 2.4.x kernels) loaded.
May 15 16:00:10 dual EXECVE(0)[8452]: /usr/bin/emerge postfix
May 15 16:00:10 dual EXECVE(0)[8452]: /sbin/python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge postfix
May 15 16:00:10 dual EXECVE(0)[8452]: /bin/python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge postfix
May 15 16:00:10 dual EXECVE(0)[8452]: /usr/sbin/python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge postfix
May 15 16:00:10 dual EXECVE(0)[8452]: /usr/bin/python2.2 /usr/bin/emerge postfix
May 15 16:00:16 dual EXECVE(0)[8453]: /usr/lib/portage/bin/sandbox /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh clean
May 15 16:00:16 dual EXECVE(0)[8454]: /bin/bash -rcfile /usr/lib/portage/lib/sandbox.bashrc -c /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh clean
May 15 16:00:16 dual EXECVE(0)[8454]: /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh clean
May 15 16:00:16 dual EXECVE(0)[8456]: /bin/stty size
May 15 16:00:16 dual EXECVE(0)[8458]: /bin/uname -r
May 15 16:00:16 dual EXECVE(0)[8461]: /bin/grep ^RDEPEND=
May 15 16:00:16 dual EXECVE(0)[8462]: /bin/rm -rf /var/tmp/portage/openssl-0.9.6d/.compiled

It freezes on rm -rf /var/tmp/portage/openssl-0.9.6d/.compiled

This is running XFS could this be a problem also ?
I mean, OK, the system is not in production right now but it had plans to be. A friend and I are not done setting it up (would be if that sandbox issue hadnt showed up) Would it just be better to start from scratch and not risk a screwed up setup like this?
vert
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use XFS too, but that shouldn't be a problem.
But it might still be an idea to run xfs_repair or other check utilities. Maybe something's wrong with the filetables and that could cause the 'rm' lockup (I guess). The problems could have started with a crash on my system too, although I can't say for sure. It was late and I was trying out lots of stuff that night. But I do remember it crashing once...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: