Did I kill my Sun? - Help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugarat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Did I kill my Sun? - Help! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have just installed a seagate barracude into my Sun Ultra5 with the hope of installing gentoo on a nice fast quiet hard disk. Now, when I power on I get the keyboard beep and the system spins up, but nothing on the screen and no further signs of life!

If I inplug all IDE cables from the motherboard the same happens, - I cant get it to come back to life at all !

Anyone got any ideas? - I dont see what I could have done to kill the poor thing!?

Many thanks.

Addition: The caps lock key light is flashing..(?)
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about SUN hardware, but when strange things like that happen to me on a x86 system, I usually short out my bios to reset it to factory spec. I just reverse the polarity of the battery on the motherboard and power it up for a few seconds, or just connect the positive and negative terminals of the battery with a screwdriver (yes, I try the jumper first). It may not be the healthiest thing to do, but it does work most of the time.

So you can't even get into the bois on the sun? What is it Ctrl-A or something?
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my Sun? - Help! Reply with quote

Sugarat wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have just installed a seagate barracude into my Sun Ultra5 with the hope of installing gentoo on a nice fast quiet hard disk. Now, when I power on I get the keyboard beep and the system spins up, but nothing on the screen and no further signs of life!

If I inplug all IDE cables from the motherboard the same happens, - I cant get it to come back to life at all !

Anyone got any ideas? - I dont see what I could have done to kill the poor thing!?

Many thanks.

Addition: The caps lock key light is flashing..(?)

Look on Sun's website. That capslock key flashing must be some kind of an error code. Also try reseating the video board, that's the thing I suspect the most...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: