dumb bootable partition question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s003apr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: dumb bootable partition question Reply with quote

I currently have both hda1 (windowsXP) and hda7 (/boot) set as bootable.

Is this what I want to do? or with Grub installed on the master boot record, is it even necessary to set these as bootable?

Or is my understanding of the Master Boot Record completely flawed? and is it contained on the partition designated as bootable?

If I have to change the bootable flags on the partition table, will this be damaging to my partitions at all, or is this completely harmless?

Thanks in Advance!
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have Grub installed on the master boot record, you dont need to have any set to bootable, tho i think you need to have one of your partitions bootable (thats probably just a windows thing) . If you had grub installed to hda7 instead of your mbr you would need to make hda7 the bootable prt.
changing the boot flag is harmless in fdisk. what I recmmend is leaving it on the windows partition, that way if you could still boot to windows if grub gets messed up. (actually what I reccomend is removing windows!)

anyways have fun,
sa
Possie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you solved it yet but in the "Gentoo-Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux 1.4 Installation Instructions" is a part describing how to configure grub for dual boot. See final steps: configure GRUB, code listing 48. boot from hda7.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: