WineX + Civ3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freakyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: WineX + Civ3 Reply with quote

Hi,

I can't get Civilization 3 to work with winex. I've tried both winex-20020807, which according to winex -v is 2.1 which should support this game. First, when I try to run it I was getting a message saying "A debugger is running. Please close the debugger and try again". I looked around and it was suggested this would go away with a no-cd patch. So after finally finding one of those, I get "An Unhandled Exception" error. I checked the support forums at Transgaming and some one was getting one of these errors too, but they were at least getting to the splash screen. I don't even get that far. They mentioned shutting down any programs that could be using sound (don't have any), and editing Civilization3.ini to make NoSound=1, but I don't have that file yet. Making that file and putting that in there didn't help as well.

So, I came on here and found a post about installing winex-cvs. Did that, now when I try to install the game, I get "Error installing ikernel.exe, file not found". I tried moving my Common Files folder over from my winex 2.1 directory, since it has ikernel.exe already in it, but that didn't help.

Also, using different winver values doesn't help.

Please help :(
dr_strange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that ikernel.exe is a part of the InstallShield installer, and that is not supported in the winex-cvs. You can work around that problem using i6comp, which is a DOS program and works fine with winex.

Please post on, I am really intereseted if you succed with the game as I would love to play it, too.
freakyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after much screwing around, I'm ashamed to admit my problem :oops:

Although I did do a reinstall of Gentoo because of a failed attempt on my part to resize my reiserfs partition, it appears that I was unzipping my no-cd crack with root, and I just needed to change the owner of the .exe. Woops. Works like a charm now.

Oh, and this is back to using winex-20020807. The masked version of winex was giving me the same ikernel error as the winex-cvs, and I didn't feel like messing around extracting cabs, or whatever was needed to get those two to work. If anyone knows how to get it working with the newer version of winex or the CVS version, let me know.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: