Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Daniel Robbins leaves Gentoo. Donation time!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElectroLux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We received $200 gift checks for bringing a project online and under deadline two weeks ago.

I donated that + $50 more.

Good luck Mr. Robbins, to you and your family. Thank you for your altruism and contribution to society as a whole.

:!: and a big thanks to all the developers, testers, doc writers,, ebuild writers, and Larry the Cow too, for making Gentoo be as great as it is.
ajaygautam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Done my part. Hope my $50 helps drobbins too. Thanks for the great OS. Most of what I have to say, has already been said in this thread... windows uninstaller, great product, thanks.... etc... etc...

Ajay
Webbster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another $20 here (I'm a college student :? )

Thank you Daniel.

Readers of this thread: Help spread the word among fellow gentoo users.
Cheesegoduk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the store will accept payments from Switch/solo cards? Its currently the only card that I have avilable to use and I'm a lil worried about signing up for paypal.
sigmalll
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donated
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesegoduk wrote:
Anyone know if the store will accept payments from Switch/solo cards? Its currently the only card that I have avilable to use and I'm a lil worried about signing up for paypal.

Switch/Solo can't be used outside the UK, the store is in the US.

BTW, where in p'boro you from? I live there too
scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donated 99$ via the Gentoo Store. Should've done this a while ago, but I didn't know the guy was hurting for money. Anyways, good deeds should not go unrecognized, and I hope this helps.

I remember when I first started using Gentoo and I filed a bug because the installer CD was acting funky on my computer. Daniel handled it and I thought it was pretty cool that the creator of the distro was handling my bug! Imagine all the people he has helped over the years.

P.S. This thread reminds me of the movie "It's a wonderful life".
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesegoduk wrote:

paypal is ok, ive never had any probs except i keep forgetting my passwords, ill need to sighn up again next month when i donate and buy a couple of tshirts
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zul wrote:
nerdbert wrote:
Yeah, Gentoo will die instantly and we won't have an OS of choice in the near future.
I really liked his interviews, but I can't believe that this will do any harm to the community.
Farewell drobbins!
-nerdbert

I don't see that happening instantly or for a long while.

chuck

Me neither, there was a portion of irony in my post.
Phk
Guru
Guru

Location: [undef], Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth, SolarSystem, MilkyWay, 23Q Radius, Forward Time

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all... My sadness is not enough to show my fear about gentoo's future... Can you believe that it is (was?) my only hope to KillBilly?
Hope drobbins makes it out there, and hope that in a year or something, he turns back to the lead... Life's fuc*ed up, each one fights for a worthy life.. Even there, in america.. (isn't it?)

iswm wrote:
iten wrote:
floam wrote:
Better let it be known that all money donated is going to the NFP to pay for the licensing costs of this stuff, not drobbins himself. He's only making money of sold CD's and (in the future) tee-shirts.

Should someone start a "Help drobbins" fund on PayPal?
It would be a nice way to say thanks.

It would be a good idea. If a few hundred people donated a few bucks each, we'd quickly be up into the thousands.

So, where shall i put my 20Euros? (please make sure this hit drobbins pocket...)

[[ ]]'s
boojummy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm totally stunned. drobbins, you will be missed. :(

Will be making my contribution on payday. It's the least I can do for something that has totally changed the way I work & play.

-b
HippieJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sure i couldn't say anything more then has already been said. i made my donation...and i still have my gentoo travel coffe mug. good luck in all and thanks again!!!

hippiejoe
downed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a large community if everyone donated he could easily be out of debt, wonder if hes able to pay off his debt from contributions he would reconsider staying on the gentoo team
Iron_Mike
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is...the wave of contributions is more to erase the debts he created while creating the distro we like so much so he can leave the project with no bad side effects on his life.
The money we send will not provide his family forever and that's not the idea.
I think he is looking for a job with a good paycheck every week.

I might be wrong though...(I wish I was...)
sarcaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, any donation we make here is for services already rendered; but the last thing a guy with drobbins capabilities should do is work for someone. The last thing!

I'd have thought a great thing would be to create the Gentoo for OS X he was often talking about and charge a (small) monthly sub to it from the start.

Linux Gentooers get it for free, OS X pay a litlle, Daniel gets some continuing money and OS X users get the power of Gentoo
Greven
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave $25..... I've used Gentoo for about 2 year and it's the lest I can do.

-Jason
AMD 64 3500+ | MSI "K8T NEO2-FIR" | mushkin Dual Channel DDR 400
dkenn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Gentoo has been wonderful... I'll donate as soon as I get a chance. Being a high school student, I lack convenient access to a credit card. :D Best wishes to Daniel.

Greven: "veritas vos liberabit..." et in vino veritas, igitur vinum vos quoque liberabit! ;)
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: I won't use paypal. Reply with quote

But it isn't difficult to google his address.

I mailing him two checks in the AM.

$100 towards his Gentoo related debt.

$20 for a CD order.

I don't actually need the CDs since I have more burned copies around than I know what to do with. Heck, I've made so many copies that some of them are turning up in the couch cushions!

But hey, it's just fun to have the 'official' CDs.
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't drobbins told us before that he had financial problems, we would help him.

*donated*
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40$+ cd Set and wait to buy a couple of tshirts as soon as thay arrive on the market. Need change my tshirts aniway ;)

Gentoo is about community is about helping not only many but developing creating.
This donation will may help for a time but think in the future it need to create business Open Source Base consulting ar somthing wich give recompence for all developers involved.

Last edited by mudrii on Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
pussfeller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the main developers DO find a way to make money from Gentoo, that way they can spend more time on it.

It bugs me when people freak out about the possibility that somewhere, somehow a linux developer might actually be getting paid for developing linux.

That being said, there is something about Linux being a labor of love that makes it what it is.

Its especially sad, and embarrassing that the fastest growing, most fiercely loved distro can't support even its founder full time. Grody distros like XXX and XXXX that just freakin' drive their users nuts are making money. Makes you wonder about the "Open Source business model."

I hope Drobbins finds a nice cushy job somewhere doing what he loves. He deserves it, big time.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more pussfeller.

Just hope the generosity doesn't stop after a little bit. I don't want Gentoo to start doing something like Mandrake did. Hope that the users will take it upon themselves. It's just sad that it took something like this to make people realize that you can't always feed you family,..... on a labor of love. Many should have donated a long time ago. With as many users as we have it don't take much, but am sure there will still be moochers.

I have donated each year and will continue to do so.

Even though unhappy it took this to wake people up, still glad they did. :D

Maybe in the near future, they will be able to hire Drobbins back from where he is working.

– Steven Wright
bendy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the total number of registered users is not relevant because I doubt they are all active. However, there are a lot of active users - more than enough to pay off Daniel's debt.

I, like the vast majority of gentoo users, wasn't aware of the financial sacrifice Daniel was making on our behalf. I feel very sad that he let himself get into this situation.

We need to make sure ALL current gentoo users are aware of this, and tell them how they can make a donation if they can afford it. I know that not all users can afford to donate, and that's okay. There should be a notice and link on the front page of the www.gentoo.org site.

Also, this thread is demonstrating that a loyal (fanatical?) user base is willing to contribute financially to support gentoo. I personally don't have the skill or knowledge to contribute to the development of gentoo, so money is all I can offer.

We should think beyond the current situation, and put in place a formal donation system as others have suggested, perhaps allowing small monthly contributions. And then, we shouldn't be afraid of saying that money raised can go to individuals who are key to gentoo's future and are missing the opportunity to earn at least enough to live on because of the time they dedicate to gentoo. The board of the not for profit company should look into this.

bendy.
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always it's sad to see someone leave, expecially the "father" of gentoo. I wish this will at least show drobbins that his work has been greatly appriciated around the world...

another $100 on the way...
poormanscomputer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory thanks here.
He helped me out with a hardware problem when gentoo first started with 1.0. I was surprised the founder would take time and bother to e-mail me. Anyone know of any other distro founder that would do this?

I can understand debt, and I hope he gets his life on track. I plan on buying some CD's and shirts too. Thanks Daniel, you will be missed. Hopefully he can come back, however many years down the road and keep up with the community. Maybe he still can a little anyway. He's left a truly great distrobution.

Sincere Thanks,

Bryan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: