View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roTor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Login With GDM Fails Reply with quote

Just built a new 1.4 system, emerge Gnome. Now with GDM whatever user I try to login with I get a "Authtication Failed" message. (even root) Terminal logins work OK
Also when I tried to emerge Mc I got some pam errors and the emerge failed.
abergou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: I'm having the same (or at least very similar problem) Reply with quote

Hello,
I've reemerged gdm - because I was having slight stability issues every once in a while, so I changed a couple of compile flags (O4 to O3 and got rid of align stuff), and now I get the same "Authentication failed" message. It does not even ask for a password -- simply tells it to me after I type in my login. I can login on console (and I can also start a blackbox session -- everything else seems to work fine). I opened up my logs and the following is the problem according to them:

[gdm] PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
[gdm] PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_stack.so: undefined symbol: _pam_make_evn]
[gdm] PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stack.so
[gdm] Couldn't authenticate user

I've ommitted a few lines that are very similar to the first three (undefined symbols in pam_nologin.so, pam_console.so).

This confuses me because no other apps that i think use pam have problems -- e.g. xdm and console login. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks!
jazz...
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am getting this same problem. Did anyone figure out a way to fix this?
I can login fine with xdm but gdm gives me "authentication failed" no matter what id i use.

Thanks,

jazz...
SirJoltalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: A "me too" Reply with quote

I'm having this problem too.. just started after I did an emerge --emtpytree gnome (I did that because I wanted all my libs to be up to date).

Same deal, console login works, gdm bombs. Tried re-emerging pam and using older versions of pam.. no dice.
dechah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Login With GDM Fails Reply with quote

I just want to add my voice to this thread. I am also experiencing this same problem. Fresh install of Gentoo 1.4 and emerge of Gnome. Can logon from a terminal without a hitch, but when I start gdm, I get the logon screen, but no matter what I insert in the username field, it returns a AUTHENTICATION FAILED message. Even root does not work.

Dechah
jazz...
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried re-emerging gdm this morning.
unfortunately that didn't work

i logged in via xdm to gnome and was able to look at the gdm configuration window.

everything looks okay there and in the /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file

what would cause it to completely ignore the password screen and automatically give you the authentication failed message?
wet_beaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: same here Reply with quote

same trubles here;

After a fresh 1.4rc1 install and emerging gnome,
gdm appears and gives me an "authenification failed" message.

My /var/log/daemon.log reads:

PAM unable to dlopen (/lib/security/pam_stack.o)
PAM [dlerror; /lib/security/pam_stack.so: undifined symbol: _pam_make_env]
PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stock.so

all other pam modules have the same issue. Anyone else with these symptoms as well??
li1_getoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is to funny i have the same problem but nobody helps

;) i am thinking is our xf86config is not setup right but not sure i am a newbie :)
entity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm having that same problem with the latest ebuild (gdm-2.4.0.11). After a furious struggle I found one solution:

I was able to fix it by installing a gdm-2.4.0.0 package I had built a while ago. That version seems to be working. This info probably won't help any of you guys out there, since that ebuild does not exist in portage tree anymore... :cry:

For the record: I'm using gcc-2.95.3 at the moment (I built the system with gcc-3.2 last weekend, didn't work as I expected, went back to gcc-2 and here we are.)

Has anyone filed a bug about this?
jazz...
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.. haven't filed a bug report yet.

thought would get a feel if anybody else was having the problem.
people are.. unfortunately it seems that gdm users are a minority :-(

anyone know what logs we should be keeping for submission with the bug report?
roTor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, went ahead and emerged KDE. then changed rc.conf to use KDM as the login manager and no problems now.
Must be the latest version of GDM
ajacoutot@ifrance.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: PAM's fault Reply with quote

No, it is not gdm fault... I think the error comes from latest PAM version.
I also just emerged a brand new 1.4 Gentoo system, and when I want to retreve my mail with either pop or imap, I get the following error:

Oct 22 00:52:15 srv01 imapd[26600]: port 143 service init from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_nologin.so)
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_stack.so: undefined symbol: _pam_make_env]
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stack.so
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=linuxsta.lphp.local [192.168.0.4]
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_nologin.so)
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_stack.so: undefined symbol: _pam_make_env]
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stack.so

I'm going to fill a bug report about it, it is very very important bug !
jazz...
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are saying it is a PAM error then why aren't xdm and kdm effected by it? I am assuming that all three use PAM to authenticate us when we attempt to log on to our box.

I emerged enlightenment, edited my rc.conf and under XSession typed Enlgihtenment and saved the file.

After that i typed startx and i am in...
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Hate to add me too...but, me too... Reply with quote

Just got to the point of setting gdm as my window mgr...comes up prompting for user...I type in root, hit return...and it give authentication error....doesn't give chance for giving a password

:roll:

Looks like xdm would work...but, looks butt ugly....

:evil:

Please help...if anyway to put a nice background on xdm? Would help...
MrJ412
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Hey! Me Too! Reply with quote

Just ran into this same problem... Fresh 1.4 install and just got GDM tonight, and I can't log in... Got KDE compiling, so hopefully I can use KDM...

Will keep an eye on this thread in case anyone finds a solution :?
denix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: PAM's fault Reply with quote

Can confirm this is not a GDM problem! Never had GDM on my box and have -gdm -gnome in my USE flags.
Although, playing with uw-imap today I ended up with the broken system - it produces these messages, mentioned below and doesn't check my email.
su, login and suches work fine.

ajacoutot@ifrance.com wrote:
No, it is not gdm fault... I think the error comes from latest PAM version.
I also just emerged a brand new 1.4 Gentoo system, and when I want to retreve my mail with either pop or imap, I get the following error:

Oct 22 00:52:15 srv01 imapd[26600]: port 143 service init from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_nologin.so)
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_stack.so: undefined symbol: _pam_make_env]
Oct 22 00:52:18 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stack.so
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=linuxsta.lphp.local [192.168.0.4]
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_nologin.so)
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_stack.so: undefined symbol: _pam_make_env]
Oct 22 00:52:21 srv01 imapd[26600]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stack.so

I'm going to fill a bug report about it, it is very very important bug !
entity
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could compiling some package with gcc-3.2 cause this? At the moment I haven't got a clue which part of my system has been built with gcc-3.2 and which isn't..
abergou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: likely not Reply with quote

Hello,
I compiled my whole system (gentoo 1.4rc1) with gcc 3.2, and initially things worked.... It was a couple of days ago after I reemerged gdm and did an emerge -u world that things went awry. I have tried to reemerge the older version of pam (r7 instead of r8) and it's still a no go. I'm running out of ideas.... I did switch to xdm for the timebeing, and that seems to work fine. (on a sidenote -- anybody else having issues pasting into mozilla? i think i saw a thread on this, but couldn't find it again.)
-A
scape
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: same here Reply with quote

got the same problems here with gdm+pam, my mail works fine though.
if this is a problem with gcc: should i wait until this is fixed or can i continue setting up my system?
denix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: gdm? gcc-3.2? don't think so... Reply with quote

Huh, my PAM problem with IMAP & POP can't be because of GDM or GCC-3.2, because I don't have any Gnome parts on my system neither I have GCC-3.2. My system is Gentoo-1.2 based with GCC-2.95.3
I did upgrade regularly and the sequence of operations I did yesterday is as follow - I upgraded latest packages (xfree-4.2.1 + fontconfig + cabextract, libtool, unzip, hotplug), unmerged uw-imap, merged cyrus-imapd (figured out I don't need its complexity on my home server), unmerged cyrus and remerged uw-imap back... and then I found out that my mail (IMAP+POP) is not working any longer.
scape
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: duh Reply with quote

so this isn't a gdm nor a desktop environment problem, although someone from #gentoo on irc.freenode.net refered me to this thread. maybe we should send a bug report and/or move to the appropriate forum?
ajacoutot@ifrance.com
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9389 Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9389
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: duh Reply with quote

scape wrote:
move to the appropriate forum?
OTG will work, for now anyway.
mgirard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem. Nothing new to report really, just thought I would add my voice to the screams of the damned. I know that I am simply echoing what has already been said, but...

For me it was a brand new 1.4RC1 installation then an "emerge gnome". Afterwards I started up GDM and nobody can login! Argh! Console logins work fine, no GDM. The entire system was compiled with "-O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -fforce-addr"

I am going to try downgrading my pam and libtool and see if that helps anything. Hopefully a better solution will present itself though.

-Mg
mgirard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgrading my version of sys-libs/pam (leaving sys-apps/pam-login alone) to version 0.75-r7 ( instead of r8 ) solved the login problem for me!

This means that it now prompts me for and accepts my password. Only trouble is that my gnome-session never actually gets started. It hangs around not doing anything for like 10 seconds than it says that there was some sort of an error and dumps me back to the login screen.

Logging in with failsafe-gnome works fine. The issue seems to be somewhere in the /etc/X11/gdm config files (it looks like it is dying on sessreg from the PreSession stuff). Any help would be appreciated, as I'm going to try and track down a solution for this new problem in a bit.

-Mg
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: