problems with ncurses
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: problems with ncurses Reply with quote

I've been using ncurses 5.3 with no problem for some time, but in my last update it wanted me to update to ncurses 5.2-20020511-rt. This I thought was strange since it seems older than what I was using. Anyways, when my cron updated my system it performed the update now many things are not working because they cant load libncurses.so.5. I tried removing ncurses (since it was already not working) and then emergeing version 5.3 but on the new emerge it failed because it couldn't find libncurses.so.5.

I know what ncurses does and how important it is, and it appears that I am in an unfortunate position.

But does anyone know what I can do to fix this short of re-installing gentoo?

I was planning on re-installing when 1.4 officially ccomes out, but I'd like to be able to use my system in the mean time (and not re-install before 1.4. comes out).

Thanks
This message is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. For more info visit http://joemonti.org/
count
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working!

I tried copying the libncurses files from the LiveCD, but it complained about invalid ELF headers ... so then I grabbed the ones from my server and I was able to emerge ncurses sucessfully

Not quite sure what happened, but i'm guessing the emerge clean did something evil when removing the old package of ncurses

thats the second time emerge clean has broken something, so do you think I should refrain from doing emerg clean?
This message is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. For more info visit http://joemonti.org/
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ncurses issue is being discussed in AAARGH-Help!! Portage nuked libncurses.so.5.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: