Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who wants to hate on M$ with me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Who wants to hate on M$ with me? Reply with quote

Actually, I'd rather not, I just rather desperately need some help.

Short story:
-- spend weekend installing 1.3 with XFS, left 7.5G and an open primary partition for M$ at the head of the disk (gee, am I nice or what?)

-- boot M$ (XP Pro) cd, reach partition selection, shows primaries 2,3,4 as c:,f:,g:
-----> won't make partition in primary 1, says 4 primaries already exist

-- reboot to Gentoo, get kernel panic saying root partition does not exist

-- reboot to Gentoo rescue/install, fdisk tells me that all three primaries' fs type has beeen changed to either Amoeba or "95" (unknown). Sublying logical partions are gone as well, of course

-- I had the presence of mind during install to write down my inodes, simply restored the partition table

-- XFS partions (/ and /usr) still don't mount; error:
XFS: bad magic number
XFS: SB validate failed

-- xfs_restore does nothing

Is there any possible way to recover, or did I just waste 48 hours and a good bit of data? Evidently, just letting M$ look at my partition tables says they can modify them however the hell they want.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should have installed XP first..then installed gentoo and configured grub to boot either M$ or Gentoo...i dual boot with win2k and thats the way i did it and havent had any trouble, also you might want to use fat on a partition that both gentoo and xp can write to and read from.

you might try to salvage your intstall by booting from the gentoo cd and getting into your install that way...then re-install grub and possibly re-emerge the gentoo-sources and reinstall your kernel
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly did you get the title "l33t"? Your post was absolutely usleless, a waste of bandwidth, as this is soon to become. If I'm installing Gentoo with XFS and have already debugged most of the problem, you might deduce I know a little about what I'm doing.

Yes, Windows before Linux is nice, but sometimes when installing over FAT32, WXP likes to grab two primary partitions, one type 0xf and one 0xc (Win'95 ext and W'95). I installed Gentoo first to force WXP to an acceptable number of primary partitions. If you read my post, I got a kernel panic, that means grub was non-problematic. The problem is that the already formatted XFS partitions will not mount. I had also already booted into the "Gentoo rescue/install disk", so that all pretty much just nullifies your entire post. Did you read anything I said?

Interestingly enough, ever since I've used Linux ('99), I've been using shared partitions between the OS's... novel idea, that.

Incidentally, I've discovered why this happened. The M$ OEM boot installer, at least, assumes all partition types are of type 0x0 (empty) and adds on 0xf to get Win'95 ext. The problem comes when you have a partition of type 0x83 (Linux) or 0x85(Linux extended) and they get converted to 0x93 (Amoeba) and 0x95 (unknown). Is it lazy or malicious coding? How can you assume a partition is of type 0x0? Of course, their bootloader is dumb enough it doesn't even like booting from a secondary disk.

So I repeat my original question: Does anyone have any clue as to how to regenerate the magic number for an SGI-XFS partition, or do I have to go back to reinstalling? (I have a feeling they're generated from the contents of the partition rather than the inodes and such, so I may very well be completely out of luck).
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guero61, let's say someone walked up to you on the street and asked you whether there was a restaurant around somewhere where you could get some lunch. They told you they were really hungry and desperate.

You told them of a place where you had eaten several times, and described the food and drew a little map for them.

They then insulted your taste, called you a complete idiot for ever patronizing that restaurant, and said with a visible sneer that since they knew how to pronounce the word "restaurant" correctly that you should have deduced that they were a world-famous newspaper food critic.

Would you think that people who overheard that exchange would be:

(A) More likely to help the person find somewhere to eat?
(B) Less likely to help the person find somewhere to eat?

I realize that you're probably frustrated, but as you read over your words, do you think it was necessary to tee off on rommel like that? He was trying to help you. Why alienate people? And it's not just rommel - everybody that reads this thread will form an opinion of you, and I doubt it's one that you would want people to form.
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I know I was going to get modded?

Indeed; I didn't have to tee off on him. I just get tired of folks on BB's that try to answer a question without reading it and understanding it.

I would have expected a little more vested reading instead of a "skim-and-fire". Of course, in hindsight, I should expect no less (no offense intended) from BB's; I've done the same myself.

As yet uncrecalcitrant, I will say this -- the chicken-or-egg question of windows or linux first is a judgement call -- whether or not you want to corral Windows. And yes, shared partitions are a good idea -- that's why I'm doing XP over FAT32 so I can VMWare and wine programs without worrying about NTFS support in Linux.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guero61 wrote:
How did I know I was going to get modded?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your meaning here.

Quote:
the chicken-or-egg question of windows or linux first is a judgement call -- whether or not you want to corral Windows.

I will defer to your judgement on this, as I have virtually zero experience with Windows.

Quote:
And yes, shared partitions are a good idea

So that I can try to say something that you might find helpful, instead of just appearing to be a cranky unhelpful jackass, one thing I have noticed with several people trying to use (voluntarily or involuntarily) VFAT and NTFS partitions under Linux is that they are not a good idea for ordinary system use - Crap, what's the deal with space in Gentoo? covers some of this ground. Apologies if this is old news to you.

I was going to recommend that you try GNU Parted instead of *fdisk to attempt to restore your partitions, but unfortunately a glance at the documentation indicates that it only professes the ability to recognize XFS partitions, but not to create them, so I couldn't think of anything else to recommend to you on your core question. Otherwise, I would have attempted to include some useful information immediately to try to balance the rest of my earlier post. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this one. I hope you can get your system into a state you're happy with soon.
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your meaning here.

I knew I'd get called out for the post, but was in a foul enough mood to not really care.

Quote:

I will defer to your judgement on this, as I have virtually zero experience with Windows.

Lucky you. Unfortunately, I struggle to make it play nice with Linux every day.

The thread was not old news, but a new twist -- I was fortunate enough to purchase new hardware and have a 60G hd. What experience I have with multiboot machines is that 5-8G is more than sufficient for most OS's; Linux can do with even less. So, what I do is give each OS about 8G and partition the rest off as FAT32 so everyone can play together. It's really handy to be able to hand off data and programs without burning cd's, filling floppies/zips, or any other hateful transfer things.

I hadn't heard about Parted (tells you how much of an "expert" I really am, I've been running RH for the last couple of years), and that's too bad it can't re-create them.

Just another bit of help (always trying to think of those who research before they ask questions), if you've tried my method of "corralling" M$, you need to go ahead and at least tell it the first partition is there and of a type it recognizes. Windows at least is working fine now that I put that first partition there instead of just giving it empty space. *sigh* all for want of a few bits more...
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only way I know of fixing magic number issues is with the program you were talking about. (xfs_restore, and I'm sure there are other xfs repair applications). Would Parted do anything with xfs at all? I thought that was primarily a partition scheming application. Though it sounds to me like the partition table was manipulated somewhere along the line by either Windows or Linux being confused at some point. (never had it happen to me, but thats what it sounds like)

I know it's all been fixed, but I wanted to post to get a post-mortem analysis so to speak :)
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of ironic that an idiot such as myself could have a dual booting system running with now problems at all for 2 months now...lol

thanks rac for watching my back but guero was right even if not terribly subtle, i was tired and didnt read the post carefully.

so guero did you find a solution to your problem?

as for the itle 'l33t' , i had nothing to say about it...lol...i dont even know what it stands for, but i can shoe a horse...lol
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies. I've cooled down now. This is the second time in a week M$ stuff has ruined my installs/data.

I have yet to find a way to regenerate the numbers, and I don't think I will. Even if I did, there would be the problem of actually modifying the magic number (where?) and so on. I've given up hope of recovering, and am now just going to go to 1.4_rc1 and forget about it.

I understand about the title; it's a thing BB's do. Over on granturismo.com, I'm a veteran, but am nowhere near the level of most of the guys over there.

If I figure anything else out, I'll be sure to post it here for posterity.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done TONS of installs of both win2k and Gentoo on the same system. sometimes win2k first, sometimes gentoo, always works perfectly for me, mind you I never used XFS, maybe XFS Just isn't worth the hassles?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is with XP, not so much Windows in general. I've read other threads where WinXP was particularly unwilling to play nicely with non-MS partitions/drives.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize it's probably not feasable or it would have been done already, but I bet WindowsXP would cause fewer problems if it wasn't installed ;-)

In an ironic reversal, my WinXP partition died due to data corruption a few days after I started using Linux (I did read data from it using the READ only NTFS driver, but no writing).

Of course I wasn't too ticked off as I've been meaning to get away from MS Windoze for a LONG time...
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I think the problem is with XP, not so much Windows in general. I've read other threads where WinXP was particularly unwilling to play nicely with non-MS partitions/drives.

I wonder why... :roll:

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bad referencies for WinXP:
My flatmate had a dual boot win98 / slack box. Despite my urges he decided to upgrade to winXP... Well, the upgrade installation not only overwrited as usually the lilo MBR entry (which is no more than a little annoiance to fix with a bootable linux floppy/cdrom) but completely crapped out the ext2 partitions. Windows reffered as free space the entire disk though they couldn't use it for it still was in ext2... Partition Magick to the salvation (but he recovered them formatting in vfat - some people lack persistence! argh!!).
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More reasons to just use Wine or VMWare and friends...
cole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here!

Windows free since July!
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows free since 18th of June 1999.
iancurtis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll piss on windblows
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guero61, but this is going nowhere fast. If you're still needing help, a new thread with a more 'help' oriented title might turn out better.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: