Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
cannot ping my host under vmware
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eberhard

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: cannot ping my host under vmware Reply with quote

I have set up several linuces: RedHat7.2, SuSE8.0, Gentoo under VMware 3.1 for Windows XP. With Gentoo I cannot ping the WXP host, and in consequence cannot FTP from my WXP IIS FTP Service. This works fine wiith all of the commercial distros mentioned. All distros have the same ifconfig setup, and all are set up as "bridged networks". What works is reaching any ipaddr outside of my own box, e.g., gateway, DSL router, etc. Could anyone point me to a possible setup aspect I am missing with my Gentoo distro (which might be covered by the others automatically)?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: cannot ping my host under vmware Reply with quote

Eberhard wrote:
What works is reaching any ipaddr outside of my own box, e.g., gateway, DSL router, etc.

So you can access web sites, etc. just fine -- the only thing you can't access are other machines on the same subnet as your Gentoo box?

If that's the case, can you post the output of:

Code:
route -n

here for us to take a look at? Then, can you also post the output of:

Code:
route print
from your Windows box?

Also, I'm moving this topic to networks & security.

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: I thought the title was cannot ping my host underware
Eberhard

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: cannot ping my host under vmware Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
So you can access web sites, etc. just fine -- the only thing you can't access are other machines on the same subnet as your Gentoo box?

No, I can reach everything outside of the VM except the ipaddr of the physical adapter of the Windows XP host where my VMware based Gentoo resides. And this means: no ftp from my virtual Gentoo to the Windows-based physical machine. The strange thing is, I can ping the virtual Gentoo from the physical Windows host.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so can you post the output of your route commands as requested above????

--kurt
Eberhard

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the error: the static ipaddr I had assigned to Gentoo within VMware was already assigned by VMware for VMnet1 at the Windows XP host side. Why? I don't know, I wasn't asked for that.

If someone else reads this later on after having stumbled into the same problem: have a look at ifconfig (Linux) as well as at ipconfig (WXP) results!

Thanks for your offer to help!

Eberhard
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: